ADVERTISEMENT

"Blackboards and Backboards" for Lamar

astonmartin708

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Apr 17, 2012
Looks like the University is inviting local schools to the Lamar game. They said tickets and transportation for these schools are free. There will be educational booths set up around the arena, and the kids can bring their lunch or buy a $3 lunch.

Seems like a good way to get some kids interested. Hopefully they market this to schools hard. Those 4th and 5th graders are the kids who will be influenced most if they have fun.

Just realized this game is being played on a holiday so we may actually have a few fans there after all

During college I used to volunteer during the day Tulsa 66ers games for school kids. If they market it like 66ers did then there will be at least 3,000 area school kids at the game and they'll be really into it.

Is it a school holiday? Still confused by the time.

Looks as if most of the entire arena is going to be reserved for school kids on Friday. The website is currently only selling tickets for four sections and they're all discounted at $15.

My family had season tickets until one of the later JD years. This was probably off and on, but they went to games in the armory and after. We had one to let up in the rafters when Nolan was the coach and I was in diapers and my mom was in law school. My dad handed them in because he got tired of JD berating players. We didn’t really go to games for a couple of years.

Tubby Smith came and spoke at Monte Cassino the day before an early season game one year. I talked my dad into going to that game and we had season tickets again the next year or so after. And I’ve been at pretty much every game since. So yeah, getting the kids interested early on is huge.

We kind of caught lightning in a bottle because a year or two later Shea came along and then it was must watch. And then when I finally went to TU it was sort of a lifestyle. And a lot of my TU friends became diehard fans because I was already really into basketball.

I'd never been to a TU basketball game until the Don Rey was built. I remember my dad telling me about the time he saw TU beat Michael Jordan and UNC in the Convention Center though. Maybe that captured my imagination enough to start rooting for the team at a young age. When I turned 16 and could drive myself to games, I became a regular.

I'd never been to a TU basketball game until the Don Rey was built. I remember my dad telling me about the time he saw TU beat Michael Jordan and UNC in the Convention Center though. Maybe that captured my imagination enough to start rooting for the team at a young age. When I turned 16 and could drive myself to games, I became a regular.
There were some absolutely epic games in the Convention Center. '93 Arkansas and TU OT game. TU vs Utah a few years later when Utah brought 4 NBA guys in and the game went down to the wire (Shea's last regular season home game where they retired his number). The Billy Tubbs "Welcome Back Kotter" game...the Chris Herren/Fresno State prison jumpsuit game.

Out of all the games I've been to since '92 was the TU vs Fresno game to end the 2000 regular season. The atmosphere in the Don Rey that night was unlike anything I've ever experienced before (and I was at the first NCAA Sweet 16 game in '94). If TU could somehow get people a glimpse and feel of what that building was like that night they could garner a ton of new regular fans.

Reactions: TUMU
Fresno wasn’t the last home game of the 2000 season. TCU was. Shelton outscored TCU in the first half. People embarrassed Tubbs. That was electric.

We lost to Fresno all three times. The one at home was after a long winning streak following the ORU loss. Coley missed a late tip in. The players stared at each other not knowing what to do. They didn’t think they could possibly lose a game. The third loss was in the conference tournament in Fresno. I think Fresno needed the win to get in. Heard missed a wide open shot.

I wonder if some of the idea for this great promo game came from the board, or if it was all their idea.

I believe the UNC win was at ORU's arena in some early season tournament.

The North Carolina game was the Oil Capital classic opener that season. We beat ORU the next night then they fired former Tulsa coach Ken Hayes the next day. It was around December 20. Classy move.

Reactions: Gold*
This team looks like it might have the capability to rise up to at least two places better in their season place finish. Sixth place at best. Doing 5th place or better is just really difficult in the AAC with so many good teams ahead of them. Tulsa would just have to really play over their heads to do better.

This team looks like it might have the capability to rise up to at least two places better in their season place finish. Sixth place at best. Doing 5th place or better is just really difficult in the AAC with so many good teams ahead of them. Tulsa would just have to really play over their heads to do better.
This team could finish anywhere between 3rd and 7th. I don't think we have the size or firepower to compete with Cincinnati or Wichita State as much. I don't think we are any worse than UCONN, SMU, UCF, or Houston...and Temple is still way too high IMO and given too much credit.

Fresno wasn’t the last home game of the 2000 season. TCU was. Shelton outscored TCU in the first half. People embarrassed Tubbs. That was electric.

We lost to Fresno all three times. The one at home was after a long winning streak following the ORU loss. Coley missed a late tip in. The players stared at each other not knowing what to do. They didn’t think they could possibly lose a game. The third loss was in the conference tournament in Fresno. I think Fresno needed the win to get in. Heard missed a wide open shot.
My bad...if it is the TCU game I am remembering that is the one that Eric Coley jumped over Rebel Paulk from just inside the foul line and posterized him. That TCU team was awful...but it had some of the best names of all time...Rebel Paulk, Bingo Merriex, etc.

I remember the final sequence in the Fresno game. Harrington flipped the runner up from the middle of the lane and missed, Coley came in and missed the tip, and Kurtz had a follow that likely would not have counted (but there was no replay yet so it may have) and missed.

5 losses that season by a combined total of 13 points. Tulsa was #2 in average scoring margin at like +20 something. Duke was #1 that season in that stat.

And Tarkanian wanted to bake a cake with Harrington!

I remember being at that Fresno game in 2000. Courtney Alexander’s jumper over Coley to take the lead was a 10/10 on the difficulty meter. Falling away from just inside the 3 point line over a long armed man. That entire building was quiet after it was over and we just didn’t know what to do. Losses were so rare that year.

I remember being at that Fresno game in 2000. Courtney Alexander’s jumper over Coley to take the lead was a 10/10 on the difficulty meter. Falling away from just inside the 3 point line over a long armed man. That entire building was quiet after it was over and we just didn’t know what to do. Losses were so rare that year.
That shot was ridiculously tough. One of the football players was going through the student section during the time-out leading into that play telling everyone we were storming the court #KissofDeath

My bad...if it is the TCU game I am remembering that is the one that Eric Coley jumped over Rebel Paulk from just inside the foul line and posterized him. That TCU team was awful...but it had some of the best names of all time...Rebel Paulk, Bingo Merriex, etc.

I remember the final sequence in the Fresno game. Harrington flipped the runner up from the middle of the lane and missed, Coley came in and missed the tip, and Kurtz had a follow that likely would not have counted (but there was no replay yet so it may have) and missed.

5 losses that season by a combined total of 13 points. Tulsa was #2 in average scoring margin at like +20 something. Duke was #1 that season in that stat.

And Tarkanian wanted to bake a cake with Harrington!

Nucleus Smith. I think they had a big guy who got a cup of coffee in the NBA.

I never understood how Alexander didn’t do more in the NBA. He was really good.

The blue board was a lot of fun back then. There were no set screen names and people really didn’t understand what an IP address was yet. It was hilarious.

Reactions: ctt8410
I was at the UNC game in the Mabee Center. In addition to Jordan, that team also had Sam Worthy. It was a classic Nolan upset. The game was scheduled as a homecoming for the Jenks player that went to UNC.

Although the game was a sellout, it was (of course) the earlier game. Traffic was horrible getting into the Mabee Center and at the first time out, there were probably 8,000 empty seats. It was full before half time.

That is probably my favorite outside of the 2000 season.

The ORU game the next night was a tight, close win. Nolan had taken over the City and the ORU fans/AD put a lot of pressure on Hayes to beat TU (after several years of running the table). It was still a classless move to fire him on Christmas eve. My evangelical relatives dropped their ORU season tickets that year.

Slight correction that team included Sam Perkins and James Worthy in addition to Jorden. I think Perkins was a freshman.

Slight correction that team included Sam Perkins and James Worthy in addition to Jorden. I think Perkins was a freshman.

Actually, Worthy had already left early for the NBA when we defeated them in Tulsa. He played the year before when we lost by 8 in Carolina. We were ranked #9 at the time. UNC won the national title that year, 32-2 defeating Georgetown and Patrick Ewing by 1 in the title game when Sleepy Floyd inadvertenty threw the last pass of the game to UNC. I still remember John Thompson consoling Floyd after the game.

The next year we defeated them in Tulsa. They finished 28-8 and made the elite eight that year. They had Jordan, Perkins, Brad Daugherty, Matt Doherty, Steve Hale and some guy named Buzz who held Jordan’s jock strap at halftime.

I have the same problem most of the time. I sure loved those Nolan years. IMO, the most exciting era of TU basketball.
I remember when Tulsa played Jordans team in the Maybee Center. I remember right it was a sellout or close to it. Tough hard fought game. Jordan still seemed like he still a part of the human race at that time. Unlike in his later years when it he seemed to have come from another planet, he was that good.

The following year, Tulsa played San Diego State in the finals of the Classic. The Aztecs scored the first 20 points of the game but we still won.

I'm reminded of that when I watch Michael Cage broadcasting the Thunder games.

Looks like the University is inviting local schools to the Lamar game. They said tickets and transportation for these schools are free. There will be educational booths set up around the arena, and the kids can bring their lunch or buy a $3 lunch.

Seems like a good way to get some kids interested. Hopefully they market this to schools hard. Those 4th and 5th graders are the kids who will be influenced most if they have fun.

I support TU giving our local school kids a chance to experience TU sports. I’m not so sure reseating all season ticket holders to the two prime sections on north and south sides won’t cause some irritation for some season ticket holders in the high $$$ seats when they arrive and find someone in their seats.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
my bad, it was Perkins I was recalling. Loaded team.

I support TU giving our local school kids a chance to experience TU sports. I’m not so sure reseating all season ticket holders to the two prime sections on north and south sides won’t cause some irritation for some season ticket holders in the high $$$ seats when they arrive and find someone in their seats.

Yes Gragg may get some flak when Billy Bob is sitting in Mr. Warren's seat !

Actually, Worthy had already left early for the NBA when we defeated them in Tulsa. He played the year before when we lost by 8 in Carolina. We were ranked #9 at the time. UNC won the national title that year, 32-2 defeating Georgetown and Patrick Ewing by 1 in the title game when Sleepy Floyd inadvertenty threw the last pass of the game to UNC. I still remember John Thompson consoling Floyd after the game.

The next year we defeated them in Tulsa. They finished 28-8 and made the elite eight that year. They had Jordan, Perkins, Brad Daugherty, Matt Doherty, Steve Hale and some guy named Buzz who held Jordan’s jock strap at halftime.

Yes I still have the tape of us losing to UNC with our "Final Four" type team. David Brown was 100% then and we had no excuses. That could have been our last chance to achieve a # 1 ranking during the season. I saw the Mabee Center game too from a couple of rows behind the basket. Ross, Harris, and Vanley were amazing.

Yes Gragg may get some flak when Billy Bob is sitting in Mr. Warren's seat !
What are the (royal)we gonna do if we want to go get concessions or do a bathroom run. Is Mr Warren gonna take his seat back. This could be an amusing but maddening game of musical chairs.

Last edited:

We have season tickets for seats in Section 105...what if when we arrive, there are people already in our seats? Are we going to have to find other seats, or will those folks in our seats be asked to relocate? What is the plan? Is it basically going to be open seating in those Sections for the game on Friday?

We have season tickets for seats in Section 105...what if when we arrive, there are people already in our seats? Are we going to have to find other seats, or will those folks in our seats be asked to relocate? What is the plan? Is it basically going to be open seating in those Sections for the game on Friday?

I was wondering the same thing...

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Piss off the donors, or piss off the general fan.

I think it is open seating. If you want your regular seats, I suspect you have to get there early.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT