ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Blankenship

TUERA

I.T.S. Redshirt Freshman
Oct 1, 2014
Just saw his press conference. A great man with great integrity
Know he will do good in life. We all know we didnt get the results we wanted but Bill never quit on this program and still loves this place. Thanks Bill for all the work you put in as well as a CUSA championship and Liberty Bowl.

Wow, very classy. I wanted a change, but this press conference definitely improved my opinion of the man:

BB Presser

For me needing a change was never about Bill the person but Bill the coach. I know it's hard to separate the two at times and who Bill is probably made the decision harder. I was as critical about his coaching this year as anyone else was but it was based simply on the product in the field, nothing more nothing less
Posted from Rivals Mobile

He is a good man. That's why I really wanted him to succeed. It's obvious he still thinks he could get it done, but he displays no bitterness & accepts the school's decision with maturity & dignity. That says more about a man than wins & losses.

He has a great outlook on life & I do hope he gets a chance to coach again. As I heard on the radio today, he hit everything on Gragg's checklist other than wins & losses. I wish him all the success in the world in whatever he does next.

BTW, I loved his Monty Python quote at the end !

Bill is not a bad coach he just wasn't a good head coach. I have no doubt that he will coach next year and be successful. It might be as a high school coach or it could be as an assistant. I have no doubt that Morris, Malzahn and Graham will vouch for him. There are lots of coaches who are good coaches but not good head coaches. Phil Bennett never did better than 6-6 at SMU but I don't think anyone would say that Baylor's defense sucks right now. Lane Kiffen wasn't much of a head coach buy Alabama seems to be doing well in offense. I think that is what made me the maddest about this board this year. trting to degrade him by calling him nothing but a high school coach and questioning his integrity. So he hired his kids, big deal. Graham did too. The difference was that Graham did it and won. If things had changed this year he would have been a genius for hiring Josh.

In summary, Bill is now, and always has been, a good guy and there are a lot of posters on this board who deserve to be the subject of a Rice MOB half time show. (Hint, hint)

1 fatal flaw imo. letting go and hiring an oc and things could have been so different. I still say admin must also do whatever it takes to get the coaches what they need to produce results. Bill is very classy and is a stand up guy. I thought the admin was classy to allow Bill to speak to the media today as well. Well handled by all.

Originally posted by TU Hurricane Warning:
1 fatal flaw imo. letting go and hiring an oc and things could have been so different. I still say admin must also do whatever it takes to get the coaches what they need to produce results. Bill is very classy and is a stand up guy. I thought the admin was classy to allow Bill to speak to the media today as well. Well handled by all.BB's coaching staffs fatal flaw, was they were unable to recruit the level of athlete it takes to have success at the Div I level. Pretty simple. Have to throw in a weak offensive plan also.

Originally posted by Tulsafanzz:
He is a good man. That's why I really wanted him to succeed. It's obvious he still thinks he could get it done, but he displays no bitterness & accepts the school's decision with maturity & dignity. That says more about a man than wins & losses.

He has a great outlook on life & I do hope he gets a chance to coach again. As I heard on the radio today, he hit everything on Gragg's checklist other than wins & losses. I wish him all the success in the world in whatever he does next.

What was the Monty Python quote?

We are the knights that say NEE?

GO TU!!!

Originally posted by Tu Geo:

GO TU!!!
The best one would have been "I'm sorry, but I'm not quite dead yet." Said to the men on the plague body cart.

I wish him well.................a good man.
Recruiting killed him and the staff.
Good luck BB

giphy.jpg
[/URL]

Great guy and the reason I kept hoping he would be able to turn things around. He couldn't do it, but I wish him well.

Now I'm ready for the University to step up and invest in a good staff.

Originally posted by Tu Geo:

GO TU!!!
Sonofbird posted it. When asked if he was hurt by the firing, Coach Blankenship said the Monty Python quote "It's only a flesh wound" came to mind. (The quote is from the sword fight in the Holy Grail movie.)

This post was edited on 12/2 2:22 PM by Tulsafanzz

This post was edited on 12/2 2:24 PM by Tulsafanzz

He handled the dismissal with class and dignity. A true gentleman. I wish him the best in the future.

Can't disagree with anything posted above. Those pounding BB over class & character issues the past two years wouldn't know these traits in a man if it bit them in the A$$! For example, the nepotism issue was BS. See Stoops bros.-OU, as well as many others. Even the haters never had much bad to say about Adam the DE coach who did a pretty good job. & speaking of Bob Stoops, did anyone read his comments about BB? Well chosen words & sincere.

My issues with BB were his apparent stubborness in calling his own plays as HC ( & that drove me crazy) and inability to learn from past coaching mistakes as well as his ass'ts lousy coaching-you might say their players dropped off in skill after the first couple of years & were unable to coach up the recent recruits. Won't miss any of them.

Finally, if my son had enough ability to play college ball, I can't think of another man to whom I would entrust his young adulthood to for learning life lessons from- a good Christian man with class & character whose players seem to love, despite losses. & contrary to common belief of some on here, winning constantly rarely happens in real life-it's how much effort you put into the tasks & how you deal with losses which we all experience. Best wishes to BB-wherever he ends up I am not worried that he will have serenity & peace of mind. TU Football: 1st,last,always!

Like everyone else, I believe we all wanted Bill to be successful; however, that didn't happen.

I wish him well in his future endeavors.

quincy101 -- I don't think there was an issue with Adam as he had a decent resume with serving as a GA at Nebraska.

I think most of the nepotism was concerning the hiring of Josh, who had a very weak resume and was on the outs at Muskogee H.S. with a very poor Won/Lost record.

Anyway it's all water under the bridge now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT