ADVERTISEMENT

Bad News Bears

Anecdotal but my degree was HEAVILY subsidized and I have already donated more to the university more than my subsidy because I’ve benefited so much from my college degree (I will be a VP by the time I’m 33 and making far more than I ever expected at any point in my career).

I will say I’m an exception to have donated what I have this early in my professional career but nonetheless, I’m very appreciative of the opportunities my degree afforded me and my personal trajectory far exceeds my relatives because I’m the first college graduate in my family.
Heavily subsidized doesn’t mean money losing.
The marginal (next) student costs less to serve than the student before. It’s like flying a plane - if you have one passenger and take off, you have 95% of the cost incurred. Each subsequent passenger costs almost nothing. Same with students. Once you have a certain number, adding another student this very low cost. So you can make a profit from them at very low tuition. This is the case with almost all services- there’s a descending log curve relationship between average cost and number of students. So student 4000 costs half or less of student 500. Which means at a significant discount you can make a profit from student 5000. As long as you have a way to price tier. And financial aid is a great way to price tier.

Example, if you make beer at $3 a bottle and Bob will pay $5 for it and Shirley will pay $10. What’s the optimal price? At $5 a bottle you sell 2 bottles but make $4 profit. At $10 a bottle you sell 1 bottle but make $7 profit. But if you can price tier and sell to Bob at $5 and Shirley at $10 (their indifference point), you maximize both price and volume - 2 bottles sold and $9 profit. The key is being able to discover the price indifference point for all customers and price tier in a way that doesn’t undermine your way to sell at higher prices to people with a higher indifference point. Again financial aid and partial merit scholarships are perfect for this.

And of course cost decreases with volume so the actual effect is even greater.

Last edited:
Heavily subsidized doesn’t mean money losing, for two main reasons. The first is that the marginal (next) student costs less to serve than the student before. It’s like flying a plane - if you have one passenger and take off, you have 95% of the cost incurred. Each subsequent passenger costs almost nothing. Same with students. Once you have a certain number, adding another student this very low cost. So you can make a profit from them at very low tuition. This is the case with almost all services- there’s a descending log curve relationship between average cost and number of students. So student 4000 costs half or less of student 500. Which means at a significant discount you can make a profit from student 5000. As long as you have a way to price tier. And financial aid is a great way to price tier.

Example, if you make beer at $3 a bottle and Bob will pay $5 for it and Shirley will pay $10. What’s the optimal price? At $5 a bottle you sell 2 bottles but make $4 profit. At $10 a bottle you sell 1 bottle but make $7 profit. But if you can price tier and sell to Bob at $5 and Shirley at $10 (their indifference point), you maximize both price and volume - 2 bottles sold and $9 profit. The key is being able to discover the price indifference point for all customers and price tier in a way that doesn’t undermine your way to sell at higher prices to people with a higher indifference point. Again financial aid and partial merit scholarships are perfect for this.

And of course cost decreases with volume so the actual effect is even greater.
This is why Gap has Old Navy, Nordstrom’s has Nordstrom’s rack, movies have matinees, every entertainment venue does Groupon, bars have happy hours, Southwest had Gotta
get Away fares and on and on and on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT