ADVERTISEMENT

Bad News Bears

Just to be blatant about this:

I'm a multiple season ticket buyer, donate when I can, attend almost every sport durring the year. I assume most people on this board are at a minimum doing that. We are the voices that count.

I'm amazed at how many answers you have. Yeah everybody on this board is an idiot. All hail TU4everyoung..

And by the way, markets still matter. Fans of a university whether they are watching on cable or streaming are still centered around the state and/or city that the University is in. That won't change. When you stream, your location is still known.

Beatings? I appreciate you’re keeping us all in line. Next time I speak with Gerry, I’ll let him know he’s doing it wrong.

I'm amazed at how many answers you have. Yeah everybody on this board is an idiot. All hail TU4everyoung..

And by the way, markets still matter. Fans of a university whether they are watching on cable or streaming are still centered around the state and/or city that the University is in. That won't change. When you stream, your location is still known.

Do you have something against young people you seem very hung up on that.

You keep up with the personal attacks it is clearly winning you the argument.

The point is that in a streaming world you will watch what holds your attention and tv TV markets alumni base are literally irrelevant.

Its not hard to keep up with this stuff there are articles practically every day. Business publications and sports cover it quite thoroughly because it's worth billions of dollars. It's brought up in many articles about chord cutting and comes up in FAANG discussions which will be heating up now that Amazon has shown interest in the FSR networks Disney has to sell. It seems fox and Comcast won't be able to bid because of government approval. You should do some research this is pretty common knowledge.

Beatings? I appreciate you’re keeping us all in line. Next time I speak with Gerry, I’ll let him know he’s doing it wrong.

Oh no, you know names :scream:

Would that be a poor appeal to authority to cover up your lack of facts and understanding?

Oh no, you know names :scream:

Would that be a poor appeal to authority to cover up your lack of facts and understanding?

I can assure you that goldenhurricane2 knows WAY more about the inner workings of tu athletics than you could even dream about. You really need to stfu. Flat out. You’re embarrassing yourself.

I’m tired of hearing the untrue excuse about the alleged financial condition of the athletics department, the school, etc. The problem will get fixed. We cannot afford not to fix the problems with the football coaching staff.

Reactions: maverickfp
I’m tired of hearing the untrue excuse about the alleged financial condition of the athletics department, the school, etc. The problem will get fixed. We cannot afford not to fix the problems with the football coaching staff.

It’s not alleged. It’s fact.

Reactions: tupatsfan
Great! They’ve done a good job at every game this year. Good music selection and drill. Glad she’s enjoying it.

She’s true blue. Grew up in the stadium just like I did.

Have a nice Thanksgiving. I need to get back to shopping for a King of Queens themed stocking stuffer for Pats to cheer him up too.

The point is that in a streaming world you will watch what holds your attention and tv TV markets alumni base are literally irrelevant.

Its not hard to keep up with this stuff there are articles practically every day. Business publications and sports cover it quite thoroughly because it's worth billions of dollars. It's brought up in many articles about chord cutting and comes up in FAANG discussions which will be heating up now that Amazon has shown interest in the FSR networks Disney has to sell. It seems fox and Comcast won't be able to bid because of government approval. You should do some research this is pretty common knowledge.
I don't have a problem youth, I am simply pointing out that you are arguing with people who have knowledge, experience, and wisdom.(as well as a greater knowledge than you about the inner workings of TU) I have a problem with young know it all's who ignore anyone who disputes them, and ignore their experience.

I didn't say a thing for a while, while you were making a fool of yourself.(for a month or so) Then I posted. You are arguing with maybe a 1/3 of the board And I'd venture to say that at least another 1/3 agrees with the ones you are arguing with, but are silent. You can go on arguing with this group while others gradually become more vocal, until you realize that you are arguing with the majority of the board, and feel foolish. Or you can wake up & figure it out now, and show people some respect. You don't have to argue every point posted on the board. Listening is a skill that is sometimes more valid than speaking. The trick is to know when to do what...

And your view that people will stop being regional fans and/or alumni fans is just wrong. The world is a lot more tribal than you give it credit for, good or bad.

Last edited:
It amazes me that you and hurricane2 keep coming back for the beatings.

You and law poke got worked talking about TV and then shut up when Game Day showed up in Orlando.

You're sitting here talking about things you don't understand and are five years in the past.

We don't lose money on the bowl games in the AAC. The conference pools the money for expenses, covers unsold ticket allotments and then pools all the money and pays it out. So we actually make money on bowls.

Second the revenue from ticket sales now is minor, but the ability to increase the price of the ticket and to use things like dynamic point pricing means the revenue can go up multiple times their current value.

Third, just who the hell do you think the administration listens to? The casual Joe who shows up once every other year (or less with Monty losing games) or the die hard season ticket holder on here? Whose dollar carries the most weight the one who spends it on Tulsa regularly or the one who doesn't?

I'm sure with your long time experience on this board you are well aware that we have athletic and university employees who read this board. One of the main football marketing guys posts on here. Students, players, recruits, future coaches, past coaches have all been on this board. The point being if you aren't willing to demand change there isn't anyone else who will.

Yet again quit living in the past, those things which were strikes against TU are no longer relevant. The next round of realignment will be about streaming not TV markets, attendance, or alumni.

The things that were strengths at Tulsa will be deciding factors. The ability to be a feel good story, to have exciting offenses, and be a winning program will be the evaluation metric. How many eyes can you keep in a live show situation is what they are looking for.

But keep keep reiterating things that haven't been true in 6-7 years. Tell us how this is what Tulsa gets and it'll be fine when Tulsa is playing in Division FBS-AA for football and the Summit for basketball. You're talking Tulane leaving the SEC kind of vision now.

I stopped posting because you can’t add and kept making unsubstantiated statements regarding TV ratings. Arguing with people who lack the intelligence to know when they’re wrong is a futile effort.

Reactions: TU 1978

And by the way, I wish your view that people would become TU fans because we are the smallest alumni(in football), etc. were true. If that were correct, it would make a lot easier road to success for TU.

If you haven’t gone over to the General Board and read the financial statements from 2016, you need to do that. If after that you still doubt that the University is in significant debt and suffering from declining tuition revenue, then you are either a bot or do not read and speak the English language.

We have the largest freshmen class in school history and leadership has made it clear that the next few years will have even larger classes. That will put us over Wake and a few others.
Have they had to drop acceptance standards slightly yet?

We have the largest freshmen class in school history and leadership has made it clear that the next few years will have even larger classes. That will put us over Wake and a few others.

Exactly. That’s why we put admissions folks/recruiters out in California, fired the one in Texas and replaced them, and made other moves to maximize recruitment in these areas. I’m interested to see how it all shakes out over the next several years.

If you haven’t gone over to the General Board and read the financial statements from 2016, you need to do that. If after that you still doubt that the University is in significant debt and suffering from declining tuition revenue, then you are either a bot or do not read and speak the English language.

Thanks - I’ve reviewed that previously. I would say this - I don’t doubt that there are challenges or at least in 2016 there were. It is two years later and I see the school still finding funding for things like Gilcrease, the Bob Dylan archive, etc. So are we to conclude that things are improving? Are things moving in the right direction since 2016? Time will tell. But to trot out this as an excuse for not dealing with a problem is just that - an excuse.

Just to be blatant about this:

I'm a multiple season ticket buyer, donate when I can, attend almost every sport durring the year. I assume most people on this board are at a minimum doing that. We are the voices that count.

I’ve had season tix and donated for 20+ yrs running... the only person who ever returned my emails was Shawn Pfannensteel... (I know I spelled it wrong)... I get a phone call when my donation is late and another occasionally when my season tix are due... no one ever called when I dropped my basketball tix, and no one called when I dropped my donation from gold level to red...

You can say our voices count.. I know otherwise.

Hopefully these are paying customers and not charity cases.

Thanks - I’ve reviewed that previously. I would say this - I don’t doubt that there are challenges or at least in 2016 there were. It is two years later and I see the school still finding funding for things like Gilcrease, the Bob Dylan archive, etc. So are we to conclude that things are improving? Are things moving in the right direction since 2016? Time will tell. But to trot out this as an excuse for not dealing with a problem is just that - an excuse.
There’s a lot of moving parts and university leadership earns every penny dealing with them. In TU’s case, commitments like the management of Gilcrease and other acquisitions is a distinct debt and repayment structure from bonds, the interest thereon, and how student tuition revenue is tied to their repayment. Which is totally separate from unrestricted revenue vs. operating expenses, and other portions of the TU budget. Some of the problems are bigger, much bigger than 2016, and others are significantly better. It’s not something I will talk about on here because it simply isn’t productive to discuss University finance with people who have not invested a significant amount of time to understand not only the structure but the process of university budgeting. And that’s before we even talk about athletic department financing,

TU had a leadership vacuum for a few years and they’ve been paying a few people too much for too long. Clancy and team will get the ship righted. It will take time. But for lack of a better comparison, we essentially put the stadium redo and a couple of other big projects on a Visa card expecting to get raise from our boss. But that never materialized. That coupled with some significant other unexpected financial realities and the aging boomer faculty has put us in a tough spot.

Reactions: TU4ever2
I’ve had season tix and donated for 20+ yrs running... the only person who ever returned my emails was Shawn Pfannensteel... (I know I spelled it wrong)... I get a phone call when my donation is late and another occasionally when my season tix are due... no one ever called when I dropped my basketball tix, and no one called when I dropped my donation from gold level to red...

You can say our voices count.. I know otherwise.
If a TU student athlete has not called you each year to thank you for your donation, you either aren’t answering your phone or you need to update it with GHC.

Hopefully these are paying customers and not charity cases.
It’s a mix. Gone are the days where the Sapulpa valedictorian could get a full ride because somebody from China was paying full freight.

If a TU student athlete has not called you each year to thank you for your donation, you either aren’t answering your phone or you need to update it with GHC.

I get the thank you calls ... I’m Talking about the people that really make decisions... the ones that notice that someone who ponied up gold level bucks for years suddenly went red, the ones that notice that someone who had padded level basketball seats for years suddenly doesn’t buy basketball tix... that’s the kind of stuff that ought to throw a flag in a database. I know if I had a loyal customer that suddenly quit buying my products, that he would get at least a call or a personal letter. In my business it would merit a lunch meeting, but, in this case that’s overkill.

Reactions: Tulsa76
Interesting. What is our short term enrollment goal and how do we get there and maintain admission standards ?
It’s not so much enrollment goals as retention goals at a certain tuition paid point, as I understand it. The reality is that for local students, the first students admitted and the last few admitted enjoy a TU education at a total price point that is less than OU and OSU. I have a colleague whose daughter was a Prez scholar admitted in the Fall of 2017. She got the full ride, but before TU would commit to that, they showed her what their projected aid would be if not a Pres Scholar and the amount OU was offering was going to lead to a significantly higher out of pocket expense for them compared to TU. This wasn’t need based aid. They live in Plano and the girl is smart but certainly not brilliant. Similarly, the last Kids admitted tend to get a better deal, or at least better value, than OU/OSU but for different reasons, as I understand it.

Where TU gets hurt is the middle of the pack students who get in, pay a significant out of pocket, then they are gone after two or three years. Some leave because they can’t hack the academics or mom/dad didn’t have the money anymore. Others leave for reasons we don’t quite know. We have been taking a hit on all those folks and that has started to effect the bottom line (along with lots of other small, fixable problems that Stead could/would not be troubled with).

Last edited:
As a parent of a current Freshman, I can tell you that there are a ton of significant scholarship opportunities available that make the school very affordable, especially if you planned ahead with a 529 or similar.

And as far as I can tell, the local high school valedictorian can still get that full ride.

Reactions: HuffyCane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT