ADVERTISEMENT

Bad News Bears

As a parent of a current Freshman, I can tell you that there are a ton of significant scholarship opportunities available that make the school very affordable, especially if you planned ahead with a 529 or similar.

And as far as I can tell, the local high school valedictorian can still get that full ride.
Correct. But the funding source for that financial aid grant is much less likely to be based on a full paying foreign student. Sorry for my unclear language.

Correct. But the funding source for that financial aid grant is much less likely to be based on a full paying foreign student. Sorry for my unclear language.

And everything’s fine until little miss decides to join a sorority. Those aren’t eligible for 529 funds, they’re not cheap, and they want payment in full right now.

Just keep this in mind for those of you that have one considering the school.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
It’s not so much enrollment goals as retention goals at a certain tuition paid point, as I understand it. The reality is that for local students, the first students admitted and the last few admitted enjoy a TU education at a total price point that is less than OU and OSU. I have a colleague whose daughter was a Prez scholar admitted in the Fall of 2017. She got the full ride, but before TU would commit to that, they showed her what their projected aid would be if not a Pres Scholar and the amount OU was offering was going to lead to a significantly higher out of pocket expense for them compared to TU. This wasn’t need based aid. They live in Plano and the girl is smart but certainly not brilliant. Similarly, the last Kids admitted tend to get a better deal, or at least better value, than OU/OSU but for different reasons, as I understand it.

Where TU gets hurt is the middle of the pack students who get in, pay a significant out of pocket, then they are gone after two or three years. Some leave because they can’t hack the academics or mom/dad didn’t have the money anymore. Others leave for reasons we don’t quite know. We have been taking a hit on all those folks and that has started to effect the bottom line (along with lots of other small, fixable problems that Stead could/would not be troubled with).
There’s are a ton of really interesting tech startups creating services to help universities make all kinds of decisions using AI to maximize profitability. Hopefully TU is on the forefront of testing these tools. There’s a real opportunity to get a major head start on other schools. I was talking to a company that has a financial aid decisioning tool that increases university revenue by 15% per student, mainly by allocating financial aid to students who are more likely to stay. It’s really cool. There are lots of those out there now.

There’s are a ton of really interesting tech startups creating services to help universities make all kinds of decisions using AI to maximize profitability. Hopefully TU is on the forefront of testing these tools. There’s a real opportunity to get a major head start on other schools. I was talking to a company that has a financial aid decisioning tool that increases university revenue by 15% per student, mainly by allocating financial aid to students who are more likely to stay. It’s really cool. There are lots of those out there now.
They do and have in house and contracted professionals scrutinizing the results.

It’s a mix of software and people. It will work nicely I’m sure.

I’ve had season tix and donated for 20+ yrs running... the only person who ever returned my emails was Shawn Pfannensteel... (I know I spelled it wrong)... I get a phone call when my donation is late and another occasionally when my season tix are due... no one ever called when I dropped my basketball tix, and no one called when I dropped my donation from gold level to red...

You can say our voices count.. I know otherwise.

No your individual voice doesn't carry a lot of weight, but what you and the people who are like you (the backbone of TU revenue) are willing to accept does set the bar.

I am quite sure they know when a season ticket holder doesn't show. I am quite sure they know when we have actual butts I the seat that are much less than our season ticket base.

In this case you are much like any voter, individually you aren't carrying a lot of weight but collectively your vote is the deciding factor.

That definitely will give you the best chance at success depending exclusively on one or the other is going to create blind spots.

I hope so. The new technology is way better than what existed a few years ago. Nows the time to be cutting edge. If you’re not using AI, you’re leaving cash on the table. It’s like ad buying. People with good data systems made so much money before everyone else caught up. This will be the same. Computers do this stuff 20x better than humans.

Reactions: TU 1978
The way to optimize profitability of any product is with a tiered pricing model. What you see as charity others see as price optimization.

If you’re giving away tuition to potential graduates that will never be able to repay the gift with donations, then it is charity and a poor model.

If you’re giving away tuition to potential graduates that will never be able to repay the gift with donations, then it is charity and a poor model.
I pray that the university has a more sophisticated understanding of pricing theory and marketing\branding than you do. You are expressing a moral or ethical opinion that is completely unrelated to the economics of maximizing profitability. This is the “cut your nose off to spite your face” model of pricing in order to fulfill a model of morality. It has no place in any modern business of Any kind.

I pray that the university has a more sophisticated understanding of pricing theory and marketing\branding than you do. You are expressing a moral or ethical opinion that is completely unrelated to the economics of maximizing profitability. This is the “cut your nose off to spite your face” model of pricing in order to fulfill a model of morality. It has no place in any modern business of Any kind.

No morality involved in it... free degrees handed out to majors with no chance of financially benefiting the university in the long haul offer no ROI for the university. I don’t lease minerals from the little old lady because she needs the money, I lease them because my company wants the profit. I don’t pay top tier prices for third tier properties. With that in mind, subsidizing an engineering degree makes more sense than subsidizing a gender studies degree.

No morality involved in it... free degrees handed out to majors with no chance of financially benefiting the university in the long haul offer no ROI for the university. I don’t lease minerals from the little old lady because she needs the money, I lease them because my company wants the profit. I don’t pay top tier prices for third tier properties. With that in mind, subsidizing an engineering degree makes more sense than subsidizing a gender studies degree.
How is it that you think every subsidized degree given out will be gender studies rather than engineering.(for example) Is there some factor that scholarship degrees are usually made to people who choose the liberal arts? I haven't seen any studies making that claim.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Companies give free or discounted product or services all the time - because it’s how you maximize profit. There’s no debate about this. Everyone who has ever been involved in pricing knows this. I seriously doubt the university is maximizing profit with its financial aid allocation (see my posts above). But your absolutist positions are ridiculous and are based on things other than profit maximization. Pricing and profit maximization are complicated, your simplistic world view is the exact opposite of what you want for anyone deciding pricing strateguy.

Anecdotal but my degree was HEAVILY subsidized and I have already donated more to the university more than my subsidy because I’ve benefited so much from my college degree (I will be a VP by the time I’m 33 and making far more than I ever expected at any point in my career).

I will say I’m an exception to have donated what I have this early in my professional career but nonetheless, I’m very appreciative of the opportunities my degree afforded me and my personal trajectory far exceeds my relatives because I’m the first college graduate in my family.

Anecdotal but my degree was HEAVILY subsidized and I have already donated more to the university more than my subsidy because I’ve benefited so much from my college degree (I will be a VP by the time I’m 33 and making far more than I ever expected at any point in my career).

I will say I’m an exception to have donated what I have this early in my professional career but nonetheless, I’m very appreciative of the opportunities my degree afforded me and my personal trajectory far exceeds my relatives because I’m the first college graduate in my family.

May I ask if you grew up in Oklahoma or nearby?

I went to grade school and HS in Tulsa but was born and raise in Kiefer, OK.

Thanks. Might I suggest instead of looking at degrees when it come to TU’s long term ROI we look at attracting more students like yourself (and me). Area students are much more likely to stay in the Tulsa area and be involved not only athletics but donations than students from the coasts or international. Subsidizing area students cost of attendance seems to be a smart long term investment imo. No clue if we currently give any type of priority to area students btw.

Thanks. Might I suggest instead of looking at degrees when it come to TU’s long term ROI we look at attracting more students like yourself (and me). Area students are much more likely to stay in the Tulsa area and be involved not only athletics but donations than students from the coasts or international. Subsidizing area students cost of attendance seems to be a smart long term investment imo. No clue if we currently give any type of priority to area students btw.

I agree 100%. I’m not sure how priorities are decided but local students are significantly more likely to be long-term donators and active as alumni, even if they don’t remain in Tulsa post graduation.

Congrats man - hard work pays off!

Congrats man - hard work pays off!

Thanks, really didn’t mean to brag but wanted to point out what lawpoke started much clearer. That locals are much more likely to be long term contributors to the university and the subsidies can result in long term appreciation. L

Reactions: Tulsa76
Thanks, really didn’t mean to brag but wanted to point out what lawpoke started much clearer. That locals are much more likely to be long term contributors to the university and the subsidies can result in long term appreciation. L

I’m also from small town Oklahoma and couldn’t imagine ever stopping my support of TU. I’m a lifelong-er now.

There was a very high priority given to local students this year. 22 new Freshmen from Owasso alone.

I grew up about three miles from you on the Sapulpa side of 117.
I also grew up west of 75 just off of 117 but far enough down to be in Sapulpa schools. Hey but that was over 42 years and 5 states ago! Seems there are quite a few of us Creek County Boys on this board!

Reactions: TULSARISING
I also grew up west of 75 just off of 117 but far enough down to be in Sapulpa schools. Hey but that was over 42 years and 5 states ago! Seems there are quite a few of us Creek County Boys on this board!
Kiefer got the death sentence by having to go up to 2a this year, little bit different playing teams like Beggs, Sperry, Victory Christian ect rather than Liberty, Mounds, and Porter lol

Last edited:
Kiefer got the death sentence by having to go up to 2a this year, little bit different playing teams like Begs, Sperry, Victory Christian ect rather than Liberty, Mounds, and Porter lol

My wife taught 1st grade at Kiefer in the early 90s.

Reactions: TULSARISING
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT