ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas

Quote from Hines: "Tulsa athletic director Derrick Gragg: “Our trustees and university leadership have always said if we could ever get Arkansas here in our stadium how significant that would be for the program, for the university, for the city.”

So, time for the BoT to put the $$$ and support the coaches, players, and athletic dept. personnel to make sure the team is ready to have a change to win that game.

Arkansas will be traveling to Oklahoma quite a bit in the next ten years. They also signed two home and home contracts with Oklahoma State for a total of four games.

Pigs fly.

Hell is frozen.

Mitch McConnell read the good book.
I agree with all but the final point. Pretty sure he is only capable of speaking/reading Russian at this point. And if Hell is frozen I sure wish it cooled the surface of Earth some right now

Reactions: TU 1978
Never thought I would see this in my lifetime. Well before my time, but I do have a program somewhere from the 1952 game the last time the Hogs came to town. The folks liked to save that sort of stuff.

They should really make one off programs again for these series. I loved looking at the old ones with the game by game artwork.

giphy.gif

My understanding is that associate AD Brian Scisolo negotiates most if not all of our scheduling for football.
Interesting. Wasn't he in charge of the GHC for a bit? Also, I wonder if Jerry O is doing any of this stuff behind the scenes for TU.

Interesting. Wasn't he in charge of the GHC for a bit? Also, I wonder if Jerry O is doing any of this stuff behind the scenes for TU.

Yes he was the GHC Director several years ago and has been climbing the ladder since. He is also responsible for negotiating our Adidas deal.

The most significant day for the athletic department since we joined the conference.

This should hopefully put to bed any speculation regarding the demise of football.

Nice work folks.
Yeah I would think 8 games against OSU and 3 vs Arkansas that aren't one off buy-me games is pretty significant. Now if we can get Ohio State or Texas or Michigan St to agree to one road game as a show of good faith for us going to those places and being a whipping boy, that would be a real coup and boost.

I’d be fine with KState or Kansas. Nail down all the old regional series.
Will Les Miles play anywhere he is not required to play that doesn't have natural grass on the field?

KState would be a good series and tie it to another series in basketball.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Hopefully the new K-State coach is a little less stubborn than Snyder. We beat those guys the last 6 times we played them then he took over and refused to continue scheduling us.
In Snyder's defense, his scheduling philosophy when he took over was to get his players to understand how to win. They routinely had the softest schedule in the Big 8 in terms of non-conference games. Even in the years where they were getting high win totals and challenging for Big 8/Big XII titles, they were playing a super soft noncon schedule. Once they made it back, it didn't necessarily make sense to play in Tulsa because he already cornered the market on the Lockett family.

That ‘88 game was excellent. They had Carl Straw at QB and he could play anywhere. The rest of the team ... couldn’t have played anywhere else.

We blew them out. So did OU running up the score on the way to 900 yards in gross rushing in a single game (Jamelle got sacked a couple of times).

Snyder took over the following year.

HOLY WTH? Arkansas is going to leave the state for a non-con game? is Frank Broyles dead?

Lol Arkansas just played @ Colorado State last year.

Wouldn't be surprised if we are playing Arkansas State 10 years from now either. We finally started playing other in-state teams like UALR and Pine Bluff last year.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Anyone have an idea who the unnamed p5 team is? I do like the sound of the Kansas schools. Missouri would be nice but pretty sure they are locked up for a while.

Gragg is doing a much better job with the scheduleling. They deserve some credit for getting it done.

Hopefully we can try and work our way towards more balanced series with the hogs. Maybe toss in a neutral site in dallas, one in Little Rock, one in Tulsa, one in Fayetville type arrangement.

The most significant day for the athletic department since we joined the conference.

This should hopefully put to bed any speculation regarding the demise of football.

Nice work folks.
Probably the most significant day in the most significant year....with the new $7M TV contract and its expanded national exposure. And throw in a very fine basketball recruiting class. What a long journey from going independent and withdrawing from Missouri Valley, the Denver Airport thing, and now to today's announcement of the Arkansas series. All the hard work and perseverance is paying off, paying off in a huge way.

It only took em two years after Broyles death to give in to scheduling us. That ain't bad.

He is rolling over and over right now. Thanks Gragg!

I mentioned this in Hurricane Alley earlier, but yes, he was. Same with the OSU deal.
While I respect the professionalism of Dr. Gragg and Brian protecting TU’s interests, I also do not underestimate the role of ESPN pressuring P5 opponents to schedule AAC schools to enhance the value of their investment and the role of BOK paying for name rights to offset any potential lost or unrealized revenue. So I’m skeptical of the true role of TU here.

It’s not like TU called over to Stillwater or Fayetteville and they finally answered the phone. Those schools didn’t seek out this opportunity on their own for the first time in 20 years or succumb to the beguiling charisma of Dr Gragg or buy into the picturesque setting of Chapman Stadium that creates the excitement and pageantry of college football that OSU wants to be a part of.

People other than TU, along with market forces making cost cutting necessary, forced these schools to the table. But I don’t effing care. I’ll take this arrangement and if credit goes around TU thats deserved or under deserved, that’s cool.

While I respect the professionalism of Dr. Gragg and Brian protecting TU’s interests, I also do not underestimate the role of ESPN pressuring P5 opponents to schedule AAC schools to enhance the value of their investment and the role of BOK paying for name rights to offset any potential lost or unrealized revenue. So I’m skeptical of the true role of TU here.

It’s not like TU called over to Stillwater or Fayetteville and they finally answered the phone. Those schools didn’t seek out this opportunity on their own for the first time in 20 years or succumb to the beguiling charisma of Dr Gragg or buy into the picturesque setting of Chapman Stadium that creates the excitement and pageantry of college football that OSU wants to be a part of.

People other than TU, along with market forces making cost cutting necessary, forced these schools to the table. But I don’t effing care. I’ll take this arrangement and if credit goes around TU thats deserved or under deserved, that’s cool.
+1

Does anyone feel like me this week?

I'm just waiting for other things that I don't expect to happen to happen....

Maybe Frusciante will rejoin the Chili Peppers.....

I agree.

If the B12 wants more money in their TV contract, B12 teams will need to schedule more attractive games like OSU/TU. Tulsa drew a TV audience of 728K against Temple and over 1M for USF. Many AAC games drew larger TV audiences than many B12 and PAC games.

8/30/2018: Missouri State @OSU, 337K, FS1
9/22/2018: OSU/Texas Tech, 868K, FS1
South Alabama/OSU was not telecast.

The opposite is also true. Having home games against OSU and Arkansas will help boost AAC viewership and eventually boost the TV contract.

Its the gradual growth of AAC as a P6 conference.

Reactions: TU_BLA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT