ADVERTISEMENT

Applewhite hired as Houston HC

Underwhelming
Seems like UH's equivalent of BB. Maybe UH thinks they can hold onto him for a while, moreso than Kiffin, Miles, or Orlando. Granted, Applewhite was going to be a HC at some point and before UH made their runs the last 2 years, Coug High was a definite possibility for him. The other factor that probably played a role in not getting Kiffin is UH wanted a GIANT buyout clause for the first 2-3 years. I can't blame them. Honestly, under Herman UH would have had a great chance of making the CFP, the best any G5 has had. I don't think they will have that same success now.

Depending on what happens with Orlando, you may see some defections from their defense. If he ends up at Texas, Oliver may follow despite his Twitter pledge to Houston. Sitting out next year before playing as a RS sophomore and then declaring for the draft probably doesn't make much of a difference in his top 10 status in the 2019 NFL Draft.

He seems to know how to develop a dynamic offense. I wonder why he hasn't move up faster in his career.

He had relations with a student at UT while he was on staff and then was out of coaching. He's a big name in recruiting but has had some mixed results in his career.

He had relations with a student at UT while he was on staff and then was out of coaching. He's a big name in recruiting but has had some mixed results in his career.

Kiffin lite?

Kiffin lite?
No. Does anyone have the details about why he seems to be blacklisted in Austin. Someone mentioned that he had a relationship with a student...that is hardly newsworthy unless it was an affair or non-consensual. The number of TU professors who go on to marry grad students of theirs is staggering (and yet still probably lower % of what happens at other places).

No. Does anyone have the details about why he seems to be blacklisted in Austin. Someone mentioned that he had a relationship with a student...that is hardly newsworthy unless it was an affair or non-consensual. The number of TU professors who go on to marry grad students of theirs is staggering (and yet still probably lower % of what happens at other places).

You can find it on Google. It wasn't that big of a deal. He hooked up with a student at the Fiesta Bowl. Texas had a policy that such relationships needed to be disclosed and this may not have been disclosed the right way. They froze his pay for a year.

I think he got caught in the chit show that was the late Mack Brown years. I think he's an underwhelming hire, but he's not terrible either. I always liked him more than Chris Sims. Then again, it was Herman's offense at Houston, not Applewhite's.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Fertitta has been running his mouth about the biggest buyout ever. No way a Kiffin or Miles was going to go for that.
Exactly. But I am surprised with Miles balking at it, but I don't think he was ever offered. I think he was option 4. I think Kiffin was option 1 and then Orlando and Applewhite were probably 2 and 2A...and Orlando probably balked at the buyout and Major didn't.

He was something else at Louisiana Tech. His offense there was phenomenal.

Seems like a very conservative hire.
Seems like a very conservative hire.
You know

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT