ADVERTISEMENT

AAC Team Winning Percentage (From AAC board)

Weatherdemon

Sep 11, 2001
Tulsa, OK
1. Navy 122-71 (.632)- 8 wins a year
2. Cincy 117-74 (.613)- 8 wins a year
3. Houston 118-75 (.611)- 8 wins a year
4. Tulsa 106-87 (.549)- 7 wins a year
5. USF 101-83 (.549)- 7 wins a year
6. UCF 97-93 (.511)- 6 wins a year
7. ECU 90-96 (.484)- 6 wins a year
8. UConn 89-95 (.484)- 6 wins a year
9. Memphis 81-104 (.438)- 5 wins a year
10. Temple 75-108 (.410)- 5 wins a year
11. SMU 62-119 (.343)- 4 wins a year
12. Tulane 58-123 (.320)- 4 wins a year

It's since 2000. We had 2 1- win seasons,a 2-win and a 3-win season. Remove those years and the avg is closer to 9 per season

You can't just take out all of our worst years during the time period.

Those two years with Burns provide a misnomer from a past era though. We have 8 wins if they take off the first two years.

Reactions: TU68
You can't just take out all of our worst years during the time period.

Those two years with Burns provide a misnomer from a past era though. We have 8 wins if they take off the first two years.
Its a whatever thing. The last 2 years TU has won 16 games, including 10 this past year. Only 26 teams won 10 games this year and only 2 in the AAC.

I think this is a helluva stat. Sure a couple of those teams have had harder competition than us but others have been right there with Tulsa much of the way.

Look at where our truest peer institutions are. Top 1/3 is impressive with or without a couple of flub years.

I think this is a helluva stat. Sure a couple of those teams have had harder competition than us but others have been right there with Tulsa much of the way.

Look at where our truest peer institutions are. Top 1/3 is impressive with or without a couple of flub years.

I think it is a very cool stat that Oklahoma had 3 teams with 10 wins and Texas had 0 teams with 10 wins.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
It's really hard to believe that in the not too distant past, there were serious discussions about dropping D1 football.

It's really hard to believe that in the not too distant past, there were serious discussions about dropping D1 football.
1998-2001...I remember those. Discussion about dropping to 1-AA and playing back in the Valley. Different depts. on campus all had their own discussions about this as well. I know in Housing one of my colleagues said football and athletics takes focus and money off the true vision of the university (this is something Donaldson espoused when he was president). I have always contended that a high profile and winning football and basketball team would help recruit more students to the university...another marketing chip to use.

This is why listening to Dave Rader bitch about the lack of resources during his little run to the Senate was such utter BS.

This is why listening to Dave Rader bitch about the lack of resources during his little run to the Senate was such utter BS.
Rader had a legit gripe. Donaldson had the HPER major removed because it did not meet the university's academic standards. This major was the one that anyone who wanted to eventually be a coach would enter into. This severely hampered Rader's ability to get kids here especially with the lack of facilities at that time. TU also changed its standards with regards to transfer credits at that time to where many classes from a JUCO would not transfer in and get credit towards a core class or a major. The HPER program was reintroduced in 2000 after a thorough redesign that included athletic training, nursing, and education departments designing a major that did meet the standards. It's no cake walk either as course come from each of those areas. Rader also had to recruit to a school that was an independent and had little hope of going to a bowl game unless it won 9 games in the regular season.

BB had fewer reasons to not be successful, IMO. Upgraded facilities, conference affiliation, left with a pretty full cupboard, enhanced academic opportunities and support were all there.

They both struggled but for different reasons IMO. If anything, I think TU will take that history of hiring former alums and try to stay away from it in the future not because alumni cannot be successful but because of the hard feelings later on if they are not and a move has to be made.

when I see Tulane's last place rank and know it would be the same in basketball, I still get upset when I remember that Tulane was announced as the 11th member of the American (then still the Big East, I think) well before Tulsa was admitted. I've heard that Tulsa was playing footsie with the MWC and the American and was not ready to commit at that point, but Tulane never offered anything other than a great place to visit and good academics. NOLA is no longer the major metropolitan center it was pre-Katrina.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
maybe the TU enrollment, alumni base, and metropolitan Tulsa population was lacking.... TU is today a stronger brand than Tulane will ever be. Need I add that the same comment applies to SMOO. Recall that both Tulane and SMOO deemed themselves worthy to apply for Big XII membership.

SMU is the one that's bugging me right now. On the American board everyone keeps talking about SMU as a big basketball "brand". They've recruited good players under Brown but still only have 1 NCAA, with no wins, in recent years. Now Brown is gone and I don't see them going on as a power team.

Reactions: TU_BLA
when I see Tulane's last place rank and know it would be the same in basketball, I still get upset when I remember that Tulane was announced as the 11th member of the American (then still the Big East, I think) well before Tulsa was admitted. I've heard that Tulsa was playing footsie with the MWC and the American and was not ready to commit at that point, but Tulane never offered anything other than a great place to visit and good academics. NOLA is no longer the major metropolitan center it was pre-Katrina.

New Orleans has not been a Major Metro since the 1950's

New Orleans has never exceeded 1.5 Million people ever. Since the 1950's Atlanta, Houston, Dallas and Miami all exceed 6 Million and have blown past New Orleans.

Post Katrina New Orleans has had a renaissance growing faster that it has since the 1940's and 50"s.

Today New Orleans is around 1.4 Million and is comparable in size to cities like Oklahoma City and Memphis even Tulsa at 1.150 Million is much more comparable to New Orleans then say Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Miami.

So I agree with you mcane New Orleans is a fun town to visit and one of the most unique places in America but its market size today is not really much bigger than Tulsa.

GO TU!!!!

Never ever understood the Tulane appeal nor that SMU is all of a sudden look at as a major basketball players for the same reason listed above.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT