ADVERTISEMENT

AAC Bowl Games

Tulane gets smoked by Nevada, and UCF is getting prison raped by BYU in the 1st quarter...
This looks terrible for our conference...

To be fair a bunch of people sat out for Tulane. They got something going even though their right side of the offensive line got hurt and were down by 6. Then their left tackle went down.

They also lost both of their Coordinators as head coaches I believe. So this was their first game with the team as well.

UCF dropped a wide open at the 10 pass and never recovered. The harder they tried to chase BYU the further BYU got ahead.

Cincy has one hell of a defense, they would lock BYU down, not sure how their offense would do against a pretty stout unit. UCF's only chance was a shoot out and they blew that.

To be fair a bunch of people sat out for Tulane. They got something going even though their right side of the offensive line got hurt and were down by 6. Then their left tackle went down.

They also lost both of their Coordinators as head coaches I believe. So this was their first game with the team as well.

UCF dropped a wide open at the 10 pass and never recovered. The harder they tried to chase BYU the further BYU got ahead.

Cincy has one hell of a defense, they would lock BYU down, not sure how their offense would do against a pretty stout unit. UCF's only chance was a shoot out and they blew that.
They fired their DC. So you are half right.

While we are on this side subject, a Monroe newspaper listed a couple of interesting candidates for the Louisiana job. Doubt they go with the second one(listed below) this early.

Major Applewhite
Current/last job: Offensive coordinator, Arkansas State 2020-present

Background: Analyst, Alabama 2019-20; head coach, Houston 2016-18; offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach, Houston 2015-16; co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks/running backs/assistant head coach, Texas 2008-13; offensive coordinator, Alabama 2007; offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach, Rice 2006; quarterbacks coach, Syracuse 2005

Profile: Applewhite joined new Arkansas State coach Butch Jones’ staff as offensive coordinator on Dec. 13. The former Texas Longhorns quarterback spent six seasons at his alma mater and two years as Tom Herman’s offensive coordinator at Houston. Applewhite was promoted following Herman’s departure for Texas and fired two seasons later. He’s worked alongside Herman, Nick Saban, Mack Brown in coordinator and assistant roles. Applewhite also has Group of 5 experience from his lone season at Rice.

G.J. Kinne
Current/last job: Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach, Hawaii 2020-present

Background: Offensive special projects, Philadelphia Eagles 2019; Offensive analyst, Arkansas 2018; graduate assistant, SMU 2017.

Profile: A record-setting quarterback at Tulsa, Kinne began his coaching career as a graduate assistant to Chad Morris at SMU in 2017. He followed Morris to Arkansas in 2018 as an offensive analyst, then worked on former ULM quarterback Doug Pederson’s staff in offensive special projects with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2019. Kinne’s overall coaching experience is limited four years. He’s only been an on-field coach for one season, though Hawaii coach Todd Graham has a track record for grooming assistants. Kinne is the cousin of former ULM quarterback Colby Suits.

Jay Norvell is speaking with and in the running for the Arizona job too.

All through with this diversion from the bowl game topic.

25-22 as a head coach at Nevada and I’m gonna triple my money. This game is so effed up.

While we are on this side subject, a Monroe newspaper listed a couple of interesting candidates for the Louisiana job. Doubt they go with the second one(listed below) this early.

Major Applewhite
Current/last job: Offensive coordinator, Arkansas State 2020-present

Background: Analyst, Alabama 2019-20; head coach, Houston 2016-18; offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach, Houston 2015-16; co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks/running backs/assistant head coach, Texas 2008-13; offensive coordinator, Alabama 2007; offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach, Rice 2006; quarterbacks coach, Syracuse 2005

Profile: Applewhite joined new Arkansas State coach Butch Jones’ staff as offensive coordinator on Dec. 13. The former Texas Longhorns quarterback spent six seasons at his alma mater and two years as Tom Herman’s offensive coordinator at Houston. Applewhite was promoted following Herman’s departure for Texas and fired two seasons later. He’s worked alongside Herman, Nick Saban, Mack Brown in coordinator and assistant roles. Applewhite also has Group of 5 experience from his lone season at Rice.

G.J. Kinne
Current/last job: Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach, Hawaii 2020-present

Background: Offensive special projects, Philadelphia Eagles 2019; Offensive analyst, Arkansas 2018; graduate assistant, SMU 2017.

Profile: A record-setting quarterback at Tulsa, Kinne began his coaching career as a graduate assistant to Chad Morris at SMU in 2017. He followed Morris to Arkansas in 2018 as an offensive analyst, then worked on former ULM quarterback Doug Pederson’s staff in offensive special projects with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2019. Kinne’s overall coaching experience is limited four years. He’s only been an on-field coach for one season, though Hawaii coach Todd Graham has a track record for grooming assistants. Kinne is the cousin of former ULM quarterback Colby Suits.
ULM is in a deep debt hole. Applewhite just took the South Alabama OC job. Kinne is too young. But it will be tough to find anyone “ready” that will make boosters happy when you can only pay $475,000.00, if that.

ULM is in a deep debt hole. Applewhite just took the South Alabama OC job. Kinne is too young. But it will be tough to find anyone “ready” that will make boosters happy when you can only pay $475,000.00, if that.
Real talk... isn’t that how much we pay? We’re talking OC right?

Read the thread, no. We are talking HC.
I tried. Lol. I saw a bunch of talk thrown around about Applewhite and Kinne and thought we were talking about assistants since applewhite was hired as an assistant somewhere else. I’ve always wondered, what is our typical range for OC / DC? What would a move to HC for a guy like Gillespie mean in terms of added salary if some dumb school were to grab Monty?

We don’t know for sure, but TU customarily pays the defensive coordinator $350,000 over the last five years or so. Same for OC. We paid $200,000 for both positions in 2010 if you want a scale, which is roughly what Janet made as Dean of the law school that year.

Haith made $2 million and Monty $1.6 million in 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: astonmartin708
Because I am a single finger typist on a smart phone, I leave anything with nuance to when I have a keyboard available.

My point about these bowl games is that, because they are essentially exhibitions, I don't think most observers put a lot of lasting weight on how conferences perform in them (as opposed to regular season nonconference matchups). The exceptions are the NY6 games. Also, when a G5 beats a P5 that can get a bit of attention.

That's why I don't think the AACs poor performance to date will leave much of a lasting impression, particularly in this weird pandemic year. I'd love for the conference to win every bowl game though.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Because I am a single finger typist on a smart phone, I leave anything with nuance to when I have a keyboard available.

My point about these bowl games is that, because they are essentially exhibitions, I don't think most observers put a lot of lasting weight on how conferences perform in them (as opposed to regular season nonconference matchups). The exceptions are the NY6 games. Also, when a G5 beats a P5 that can get a bit of attention.

That's why I don't think the AACs poor performance to date will leave much of a lasting impression, particularly in this weird pandemic year. I'd love for the conference to win every bowl game though.
Agreed. Nobody watching that Tulane game could have told you the score an hour later and that includes probably half of the die hard Tulane boosters. Nobody will remember or care a month from now. The only people who care are the media struggling to find something to talk about and the SEC weirdos that think the sport belongs to them. People on here remember we won the Miami Beach Bowl. Very few mention or remember we almost beat Virginia Tech the year before.

You should see the looks on my friends faces in the UK when I tell them that hundreds of thousands of people spend up to $10 thousand dollars, some more, to take their family across the country on no notice during the holidays to spend it away from family for what essentially is a derby exhibition match between amateurs played as if it is a league cup final. It makes no sense to them. It doesn’t make sense to anyone except local chambers of commerce and TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: drboobay
Agreed. Nobody watching that Tulane game could have told you the score an hour later and that includes probably half of the die hard Tulane boosters. Nobody will remember or care a month from now. The only people who care are the media struggling to find something to talk about and the SEC weirdos that think the sport belongs to them.
There was a Tulane game?

;)

Reactions: HuffyCane
Conference bowl records are all about matchups. Both opponents were good(in BYU’s case really good) and when your middling teams play good teams there’s a decent chance they lose. The AAC could rack up lots of wins if all the games were against slow MAC teams like back in the CUSA days

Agreed. Nobody watching that Tulane game could have told you the score an hour later and that includes probably half of the die hard Tulane boosters. Nobody will remember or care a month from now. The only people who care are the media struggling to find something to talk about and the SEC weirdos that think the sport belongs to them. People on here remember we won the Miami Beach Bowl. Very few mention or remember we almost beat Virginia Tech the year before.

You should see the looks on my friends faces in the UK when I tell them that hundreds of thousands of people spend up to $10 thousand dollars, some more, to take their family across the country on no notice during the holidays to spend it away from family for what essentially is a derby match between amateurs played as if it is a league cup final. It makes no sense to them. It doesn’t make sense to anyone except local chambers of commerce and TV.

And watching a bowl game with stark empty bleachers and zero fanfare made it a non-event. At the end of the broadcast, the conversation was focused around potatoes and their preparation methods rather than the implications / ramifications of the outcome. I didn't study sports economics in undergrad, but I presume a bowl sponsor would be taking it on the chin with zero fan attendance or tickets issued... And the BYU destruction of UCF completely removed any luster from our 'upset' win over them earlier this year... I think Cincinnati game was our chance to really earmark the season... I'm still hoping I have the chance to see Tulsa beat an SEC team. I've yet to see that first-hand and will attending the game in person

I tried. Lol. I saw a bunch of talk thrown around about Applewhite and Kinne and thought we were talking about assistants since applewhite was hired as an assistant somewhere else. I’ve always wondered, what is our typical range for OC / DC? What would a move to HC for a guy like Gillespie mean in terms of added salary if some dumb school were to grab Monty?
If Gillespie leaves it would probably be for a P5 DC job not G5 HC. He would be paid much more as a DC at that level than an HC at a lower level and would then have a line in the water for P5 HC if he wanted to go that route and was successful.

If Gillespie leaves it would probably be for a P5 DC job not G5 HC. He would be paid much more as a DC at that level than an HC at a lower level and would then have a line in the water for P5 HC if he wanted to go that route and was successful.
Agree. But It would depend where. With his pedigree and lack of P5 experience, him going straight to an SEC coordinator slot is unlikely. Gus had a great career here, but I don’t think he goes straight to Auburn if there had not already been at least some tape of flashes of his offense working in the SEC. That means Gillespies ceiling is likely $1 million a season as a DC. He would make that as HC at Tulsa or any AAC school and most CUSA schools.

a lot of these guys just don’t want the hc job. Dealing with the admin snd media and fundraising not to mention all the headaches on the other side of the ball. He might stay a DC.

The real take away from this story is that Kinne likely already has an agent if his name is thrown out so young for such a random job by mainstream media. How else would a report know he is interested. Good for him.

Agree. But It would depend where. With his pedigree and lack of P5 experience, him going straight to an SEC coordinator slot is unlikely. Gus had a great career here, but I don’t think he goes straight to Auburn if there had not already been at least some tape of flashes of his offense working in the SEC. That means Gillespies ceiling is likely $1 million a season as a DC. He would make that as HC at Tulsa or any AAC school and most CUSA schools.

a lot of these guys just don’t want the hc job. Dealing with the admin snd media and fundraising not to mention all the headaches on the other side of the ball. He might stay a DC.

The real take away from this story is that Kinne likely already has an agent if his name is thrown out so young for such a random job by mainstream media. How else would a report know he is interested. Good for him.
Kinne probably still has his agent from his short stint with the eagles on retainer..

It’s odd to me that Kinne with virtually no experience is the OC on that staff rather than Marion

Reactions: Gmoney4WW

It just depends on which P5 it is asking him to be a DC... if it’s one of the top 25 historical programs (Texas, OU, Ohio St, Michigan etc... then yeah he’s going there) if it’s the difference between a team like Boise St and being a DC at Mizzou or something he’d probably take the HC gig.

It’s odd to me that Kinne with virtually no experience is the OC on that staff rather than Marion
It is the tie to Doug Pederson and Pederson’s tie to ULM (former QB) that gets GJ mention

Last edited:
Kinne probably still has his agent from his short stint with the eagles on retainer..
Different animals but good thought. Wouldn’t surprise me to learn his old agent hooked him up with someone at the same firm, if in fact he has an agent.

Last edited:
Traced back to Mississippi State game.
Does that mean Mississippi state team is sick since the Missouri bowl game is now canceled due to covid tracings from game with Mississippi state where Missouri got sick

Could have to do with when he was added to the staff. Graham may have had to name him as an assistant and OC during the hiring phase before they knew Marion would be available.

Does that mean Mississippi state team is sick since the Missouri bowl game is now canceled due to covid tracings from game with Mississippi state where Missouri got sick
Looks like Mizzou is admitting they had a positive test before the game, isolated him, but traveled with contact players. Who promptly shed the virus on their teammates while traveling a few days later to the MSU game. It’s not a for sure thing that anyone from MSU even has it.

According to Hawaii fans, Bo Graham was given playcalling duties after their second game of the year and Kinne didn’t get it back until the bowl game.
It hasn’t helped either of them that Sam Bennett, son of Graham old pal Phil Bennett, is the O-line coach. In the ten years since graduation he’s bounced around to several jobs as a GA and offensive analyst, but omits one year out of football and another year coaching middle school. He’s never been a position coach and only played two years as a deep snapper at SMU. Graham gave him the keys and it’s been pure chaos and sack city.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT