ADVERTISEMENT

50/50 chance BB will be here next year

There are financial aspects to consider, including Blankenship's low salary (ranked 90th out of 128 FBS head coaches) and the fact that Tulsa would have to spend big bucks to bring in a new coach and to buy out Blankenship's contract.
I don't get the on and off of financial commitments.

Why work so hard to improve so many aspect of the football program then cheap out?
Now, the consequences of cheaping out are here and real and the financial commitment is still questionable?

Ash was right on the drop football talk.

Let's commit to play football at the AAC level or drop it and focus basketball.
Half-assing the commitment to football creates a crappy program, kills athletic and school moral, and generally just makes TU look bad.

Not having football and focusing on elite basketball at least presents an athletic commitment, creates higher moral, and provides good publicity as the basketball team succeeds.

It's just Kelly Hines' opinion of the odds. I think the chance of BB returning are zero percent, even with 3 more wins before the season ends. The Haith hire makes it clear the bucks are there if TU wants to hire a higher profile coach. There are a handful of donors that can make this happen, and I've heard that there are folks that "want to win and now." In any event, I think Gragg knows very well that retaining BB is not feasible because the season ticket holders and GHC won't tolerate it.

He is actually quoting Kelly Hines. I think we have more inside info on this board than she is privvy to. 2-10 and BB is gone and there won't even be speculation that lingers. Somebody influential is going to pony up enough and with the university's goal to expand the undergrad population significantly and a rebounded endowment (now over $1B), TU is going to advance the football program commitment to at least the level of basketball in terms of salaries. Some others on this board have mentioned in other places that Gragg has spoken about donations and funding coming in for the further support and elevation of football as well.

Originally posted by mcane:

I think the chance of BB returning are zero percent, even with 3 more wins before the season ends.
yoda.jpg
[/URL]

Hmph... the power of the Union Mafia underestimate you should not...

Powerful donors they are .. hmph ..Pow-erful Donors...

Again, and I can say this with 100% certainty, money is not the problem. The buyout money is there. Gragg obviously doesn't see any up side to getting rid of a coach mid season. For all we know there is a candidate already selected and set to be announced after East Carolina destroys us the day after Thanksgiving.

You can buy out bb's contract - and pay the next coach $50K - and we'll still have better coaching than what we have now.

All Dr. Gragg had to do was look south to Dallas. It doesn't appear that getting rid of June Jones mid season did smoo any favors.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Yes, replacing BB right now won't miraculously turn things around on the field. I mentioned this before but the Seniors and others, may want to finish this season with BB at the helm.

BB won't be the Head coach next season (at TU) which is understandable.

BTW........I'm sure Dr. Gragg has spoken with the team leaders and checked their pulse about the feelings of the team.

Does anyone think that Kelly Hines gets any real "inside scoop" info from TU?

I'm assuming she is going on the posturing of major athletic supporters towards the administration, and vice versa. I doubt they will change that in her/the media's presence, otherwise it couldn't rightfully be called posturing!

Originally posted by Henry Kendall:
All Dr. Gragg had to do was look south to Dallas. It doesn't appear that getting rid of June Jones mid season did smoo any favors.
Also, note that a big $$$ coach didn't bring much success to SMU and ended as bad as the BB deal will soon.

Originally posted by Tulsa76:

Also, note that a big $$$ coach didn't bring much success to SMU and ended as bad as the BB deal will soon.
SMU's approach to athletics has been pretty ridiculous and has reeked of desperation. SMU football, outside of one year where they challenged TU/UH, has been pretty irrelevant since 1982. Rumor yesterday was that SMU was prepared to offer Mack Brown $4M/yr for 8 years. Be my guest and doom yourself to maybe 1 or 2 good years and then another decade of irrelevance. While I agree TU needs to up the financial commitment for a higher quality HC and assistants, I am not advocating being downright fiscally irresponsible.

BTW, the only favors June Jones did by resigning after game 2 was for himself. He recognized the train wreck and that there was some toxicity leaking. I am pretty sure that SMU's players have pretty much given up right now. I don't see that with TU.

When people talk about the money aspect they forget that this HAS to be run like a business. Yes a business with other considerations than JUST making money (student life, alumni involvement, reputation of the university, PR for the university, etc.). But money is important.

The head coach is merely the most expensive piece of machinery in the factory. The players, I suppose, are a raw resource the machine uses to build the product... a winning football team. Assistant coaches are other tooling machines. Facilities and branding would be perhaps the factory itself and logistics. Fans are overall brand strength (women buy stupid prices for Coach purses, even though the product isn't that good. Arkansas fans pay stupid prices for...) hell, I don't know, but you get the point.

In that regard, Bill and his contract are sunk costs. That machine has proven that it just can't do the job. We opted for the more affordable model, hoping that we could save some bucks and still have a product that was "good enough." But it isn't, it's crap.

We are losing our brand. Which means we will start losing money.

Its better to scrap the broken machine, get what you can for it, and buy a new machine. Sure, it might take some time to setup the machine and retool the factory, but it has to happen. You invest in your product and produce something people want to buy, or you fall out of the industry entirely.

In the past Tulsa Football became such a shoddy product that it was viewed as a liability to the University. People openly spoke that we would be better off not selling such a product as it damaged the overall brand. Lets not go there again.

Mack Brown to SMU?

He did a pretty average job at Texas considering he had a top 10 recruiting class every year.
Vince Young made him a success.

Originally posted by JesseTU:
When people talk about the money aspect they forget that this HAS to be run like a business. Yes a business with other considerations than JUST making money (student life, alumni involvement, reputation of the university, PR for the university, etc.). But money is important.

The head coach is merely the most expensive piece of machinery in the factory. The players, I suppose, are a raw resource the machine uses to build the product... a winning football team. Assistant coaches are other tooling machines. Facilities and branding would be perhaps the factory itself and logistics. Fans are overall brand strength (women buy stupid prices for Coach purses, even though the product isn't that good. Arkansas fans pay stupid prices for...) hell, I don't know, but you get the point.

In that regard, Bill and his contract are sunk costs. That machine has proven that it just can't do the job. We opted for the more affordable model, hoping that we could save some bucks and still have a product that was "good enough." But it isn't, it's crap.

We are losing our brand. Which means we will start losing money.

Its better to scrap the broken machine, get what you can for it, and buy a new machine. Sure, it might take some time to setup the machine and retool the factory, but it has to happen. You invest in your product and produce something people want to buy, or you fall out of the industry entirely.

In the past Tulsa Football became such a shoddy product that it was viewed as a liability to the University. People openly spoke that we would be better off not selling such a product as it damaged the overall brand. Lets not go there again.
Our downfall is quality control, management that refuses to update, problems obtaining raw materials and the lack of Clydesdales to replace a reticent dog. But beer in the stands and the big horses on the commons. And bring back baseball.
This post was edited on 10/25 6:28 AM by TUMe

Bump, so we will remember to not put our trust in Tulsa World reporters. Kelly Hines was most likely schooled in TU sports by Bill Haisten & editor Michael Peters, 2 guys who have a very low opinion of TU.

Hines basically said TU couldn't afford (or was too cheap) to make a needed coaching change. Sadly, a lot of TU fans believed her incorrect assumptions & a lot of overly dramatic posting followed ( in multiple threads over the rest of the season ). .

Great job by Jerandlaur, who posted in multiple threads that the buyout money was already there. Multiple other posters said over & over that a coaching change was definitely coming. They knew more than World reporters. Next time, we need to listen more to informed posters than uninformed reporters.

This post was edited on 12/20 8:24 PM by Tulsafanzz

CHEAP. is not the right word.
BUDGET. it would be nice to have more money to spend like osu ;
Getting money for being a state school, and riding the coattails of
the elite school in a p5 conference.ol

Originally posted by Tulsafanzz:
Bump, so we will remember to not put our trust in Tulsa World reporters. Kelly Hines was most likely schooled in TU sports by Bill Haisten & editor Michael Peters, 2 guys who have a very low opinion of TU.

Hines basically said TU couldn't afford (or was too cheap) to make a needed coaching change. Sadly, a lot of TU fans believed her incorrect assumptions & a lot of overly dramatic posting followed ( in multiple threads over the rest of the season ). .

Great job by Jerandlaur, who posted in multiple threads that the buyout money was already there. Multiple other posters said over & over that a coaching change was definitely coming. They knew more than World reporters. Next time, we need to listen more to informed posters than uninformed reporters.

This post was edited on 12/20 8:24 PM by Tulsafanzz
Good bump Fanzz. Have we heard any numbers on Monty's compensation?

GO TU!!!!

Originally posted by Tu Geo:
Originally posted by Tulsafanzz:

Good bump Fanzz. Have we heard any numbers on Monty's compensation?

GO TU!!!!
I've read/heard 1.2 to 1.5 mil/per year from Chris Harmon & others.

Originally posted by Tulsa76:

Depends on how the money is spent.....If you think Morris, and his big $$
salary won't bring success to SMU, then you might want to take different
meds......
blush.r191677.gif

If his prize recruits turn out as well as his biggest recruit at Clemson, it will be a real short ride, no matter how much money they spend.

Frankly, it doesnt really matter what your coaching skills are at that school. There are so many moving parts off the field, any success you enjoy is often in spite of what the school has done to "help" the football program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT