ADVERTISEMENT

#22 Tulsa at Navy Early Predictions

With D. Brin getting all this practice time, we actually score in the first Q & the rest of them, too. Our Blue & Gold-31, their Blue & Gold-17

Navy has our number...I think we sneak out a W but it will be close

TU 27
Navy 24

bonus prediction - Can we get a 3rd game ending INT returned back for TD? No XP with time expired on return)

TU 0 Navy 0
Navy cancels with fake COVID to get ready for Army and has no reason to play this game. Bonus - cancel NOW Navy so TU can play Houston or any other AAC team that needs a game

Reactions: TU_BLA
TU 0 Navy 0
Navy cancels with fake COVID to get ready for Army and has no reason to play this game. Bonus - cancel NOW Navy so TU can play Houston or any other AAC team that needs a game
The only team we haven't played that has an open weekend and has only played 7 games is Temple.

Smith will start. If he plays tentatively or is not productive Brin will see some time. We will not have many possessions as Navy eats the clock. If we get behind it is tough to catch up with few possessions. It will be interesting to see how Monty decides to play the two.

If Boomer was not out for the season due to injury he would be 2 on the chart.
I know you have first hand knowledge, but I can't believe he wouldn't at least switch the 2 & 3. The stubbornness/class consciousness can't be that ignorant of the present situation. If he can't see that changed during the Tulane game, then there isn't much hope for realistic changes in the depth chart.

Reactions: TU 1978
Oh I have ZERO first hand knowledge of anything official. I’m just going by past behaviors is best predictors of future behaviors.....

Oh I have ZERO first hand knowledge of anything official. I’m just going by past behaviors is best predictors of future behaviors.....
I'm sorry, I thought you had a semi recent walk on(played with Monty) relative. That's why I said first hand.

No reason to apologize. Your right but I do not have any locker room secrets . I can only attest to behaviors I have witnessed and experienced . So again Monty will Monty .... that we know! lol

Another COVID cancellation from Navy announced on Wednesday. That is my prediction.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Smith will start. If he plays tentatively or is not productive Brin will see some time. We will not have many possessions as Navy eats the clock. If we get behind it is tough to catch up with few possessions. It will be interesting to see how Monty decides to play the two.
Navy looked terrible the other day against Memphis. Memphis' defense is nothing special either. Memphis also turned the ball over a few times. Both teams scored on their 1st drives of the game, and rather easily. Memphis added a FG at one point and the game ended 10-7. If we hold Navy to 7 points, we win by 30.

We should have lost to Tulane.

Navy 24
TU 20

I will give you that we should have lost that game...but that was also down 2 QBs and our top WR....wasn't until QB3 went lights out that we stepped up.

I have a feeling going into this game...we will have our WR1 back and QB1 and new QB2....I have a feeling QB2 will get playing time if Smith shows any signs of soreness during game. I don't think we will be shooting ourselves in the foot as bad as last week...However, with that said...I still think our offense is just not great. So I can see your prediction being true. Just wanted to clarify that Tulane was lucky to have been in the game more than it was talent keeping them in it.

We should have lost to Tulane.

Navy 24
TU 20
We should have lost to ECU. We probably should have lost to SMU. We didn't. Accept the fact that this team keeps fighting through some of the stupid coaching decisions and figures out a way to win, help or not, despite inadequacies with the primary decision maker

Reactions: Sbellini
We should have lost to ECU. We probably should have lost to SMU. We didn't. Accept the fact that this team keeps fighting through some of the stupid coaching decisions and figures out a way to win, help or not, despite inadequacies with the primary decision maker
Im not sure it’s even that. We have a once in a generation player. His disruption causes all types of problems and he outright won a game. The team sees that and feeds off it. They may not believe in themselves but they clearly believe in him. We’ve been a bottom third team when he’s been out with turf toe.

Im not sure it’s even that. We have a once in a generation player. His disruption causes all types of problems and he outright won a game. The team sees that and feeds off it. They may not believe in themselves but they clearly believe in him. We’ve been a bottom third team when he’s been out with turf toe.
We can probably argue that Zaven has won 3 games. USF with the forced fumble inside the 5 that basically KILLED the momentum USF had built to that point. SMU with the INT, and Tulane with the pick 6. Here's the thing...the offense had to go out and score points for us to win and they usually do. The offense has put the defense in some bad spots and the offense has also been their own worst enemy at times, but I still owe most of the adversity this team faces is created by poor coaching decisions and game management on the sideline. If you start with questioning whether or not the best players are playing in given situations, there's probably enough of a question that the best QB is not playing/starting games, not all of the best WRs are playing, maybe not the best RBs are playing (although I think we have been really consistent with Wilkerson, Prince, and Taylor despite the fact that I really like Watkins and think he's going to be a special player).

I’d like to point out the growth that JC Santana had shown. The kid really played well against Tulane. Honestly this receiver corps isn’t bad. They’re not burners nor are they giants. But they have good hands and they run clean routes. Sleep, Crawford, Johnson, and Santana have all had big games for us at some point.

Navy shot themselves in the foot a lot against Memphis with a lot of uncharacteristically sloppy play. I don’t expect that against us so I don’t expect us to shut them down. They’re a bad matchup for our defense to begin with. I think the offense will need to score at least 28 and with limited possessions that means they’ll need to be fairly efficient. I think it will be a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU1NNJ and TU83
One hopes #2 is fully recovered & ready to rock. With him back, I'm not sure Navy's back end can deal with us. They sure as heck don't practice against a fairly sophisticated passing attack. On the other hand, we hardly practice against their triple-option, although the Middies haven't met the latest version of our defense.

One hopes #2 is fully recovered & ready to rock. With him back, I'm not sure Navy's back end can deal with us. They sure as heck don't practice against a fairly sophisticated passing attack. On the other hand, we hardly practice against their triple-option, although the Middies haven't met the latest version of our defense.
We may have the least sophisticated passing attack in FBS and that includes Navy.

If we fling it & someone regularly catches it, I guess it's more being effective than sophisticated. Still, no defence has completely shut down our passing attack, except maybe for OSU.

Not to be the downer, but I dont understand thinking we will win by more if Brin is QB then Smith. I know this board loves overreacting when things go good and go bad but weve seen 1 quarter of Brin. And 3 of his passes could of been picked off. I love what he did, dont get me wrong, and he had some really nice throws. But Smith has been pretty decent this year, aside from 1st quarters. Although I do really like Brins ability to run. He feels confident with the read option too

Reactions: 4tu2
This is do true. The imoortance of believing you are going to win is more then a cliche. As a teen I was a decent soccer player on some exceptionally good teams. We believed we were going to win every game, even if we were behind closing in on 90 minutes. It was a total shock the rare occasions we lost. I can tell you there were probably several teams talented enough to beat us but they probably lacked the confidence they would pull through in the end - too worried about avoiding losing.

Collins has that effusive confidence that spills over. Add in some success in close games and we can bake ourselves a cake.

Reactions: HuffyCane
If Smith starts & plays the first quarter or 2 as poorly as he has played in recent games & we leave him in all half, I think Navy wins. Navy is not a team to try our “spot ya 14” game plan.

My prediction is that if Smith starts & does start out poorly , Brin will sub in quickly. Tulsa 24 Navy 17

I won’t predict the score but a Monty TU team has never beat Navy. They will force our offense into long drives for scores and unless they are still banged up will eat a lot of clock with long drives. Our offense needs to patient and not turn the ball over. Our defense needs to force them into 3rd and more than 6 yards consistently. If we score more than 24 we likely win. Less than 24 it could be a long afternoon.

My thing is that Smith bad in the first quarter and part of the second quarter. My prediction has a pick 6 in it from the Navy defense. And possible quick TD from the navy offense in the first quarter because of the 3 and outs that he gives in the first quarter. We want to be and stay relevant we need to fix this. Your correct that we have only seen 1 quarter from Brin. In that one quarter he showed that he is accurate with the football, he is mobile in the pocket and he can run. We also saw that he can get the ball out of his hands quickly. After the first two throws I went from an anxiety of about 8 to a 2. Watching him play put me at ease.

I am sure Smith will start but if he bungles this thing I hope they put Brin in quick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT