ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA Tournament

NCAA needs to adopt the NBA rule where if you foul a player before it's been inbounded, it's 2 shots and the ball. With the current rule, why wait until time comes off the clock.

Houston managed to keep my bracket alive on life support. I didn’t watch the whole game but aTm shooting almost 50 free throws and 4 UH players fouling out? This game must have been called way different than the others I’ve watched.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
Only Yale is left to make into the sweet 16, otherwise no non power conference entrants.
I'm surprised nobody made a remark bout San Diego St. being a non power conference team. I threw this out as kind of a joke. They went further than FAU last year, and obviously they do again this year. Doubt Ucon let's them get to the final 8. Thanks NCAA for seeding them where there's no chance of last year happening again. Wonder if their coach takes another job like Dusty May did this year. This will be his 7th year there.

side note: I don't consider Gonzaga or the Big East to be a non power conference team. Gonzaga is in a power conference all of their own, with one member. Eat their dust PAC 1(2)

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody made a remark bout San Diego St. being a non power conference team. I threw this out as kind of a joke. They went further than FAU last year, and obviously they do again this year. Doubt Ucon let's them get to the final 8. Thanks NCAA for seeding them where there's no chance of last year happening again. Wonder if their coach takes another job like Dusty May did this year. This will be his 7th year there.

side note: I don't consider Gonzaga or the Big East to be a non power conference team. Gonzaga is in a power conference all of their own, with one member. Eat their dust PAC 1(2)
Big East has three teams advancing and they have the defending champion in the conference. In basketball they are still a power conference. Gonzaga is not in a power conference for sure but they are now considered a blue blood from their consistency. Saint Mary’s is starting to get that respect but they still have a bit to go.

They aren’t smart
Terrible strategy there. You literally have one job in that situation and that's to not le them get a 3. Heck, even allowing them to inbound and hit an uncontested layup in that situation is good because it runs time off the clock, at leas .5-.6. I would space my guys out equally around the arc, you switch all screens because again, it doesn't matter what the screener does after he sets the screen, unless he does a Matt Reed and bounce behind the line...but then again, that player is setting the screen because they're not trying to get the ball to him.

Then your inbounds play is a high lob to the opposite foul line and the only job your tallest player has is to volleyball set it into the air some more.

Teams should pay me to develop their end of game clock management and strategy. I am also of the strong opinion that if you're down by 6 pts with 30 seconds or under, the only shot you should be taking should be from behind the 3 pt line. It is near impossible to trade a layup for 2 FTs and hope to come back. If you're in an end of game fouling situation hoping you can get back in it, you should be taking 3's. Even if you're only down 3 with 15 seconds or under, you should be taking 3s. Waste way too much time trading 2s and then fouling.

And Houston's players just bungled the last minute of that game. Getting trapped in places you can't be if you're in that situation, dribbling the ball out of bounds, not having enough rebounders underneath when you know the other team is shooting from deep.

I fear Duke is going to be the real Duke on Friday night against them. And as good as Houston is defensively, I'm not sure they have anyone that can handle Filipowski effectively and certainly not if Duke has a 2nd player go off like McCain did yesterday.

Reactions: loca2874
Big East has three teams advancing and they have the defending champion in the conference. In basketball they are still a power conference. Gonzaga is not in a power conference for sure but they are now considered a blue blood from their consistency. Saint Mary’s is starting to get that respect but they still have a bit to go.
Hurley blasted the NCAA committee for only putting in 3 Big East teams while the MWC had 6. He felt Providence, St. John's, and Seton Hall should have all gotten in. I don't know about all 6 but probably 2 more. Maybe if they didn't hand out all the bids to the SEC who was woeful.

Hurley blasted the NCAA committee for only putting in 3 Big East teams while the MWC had 6. He felt Providence, St. John's, and Seton Hall should have all gotten in. I don't know about all 6 but probably 2 more. Maybe if they didn't hand out all the bids to the SEC who was woeful.
I can see seton hall, but providence? Nope no way

I also could give two flips about anything Hurley has to say. He could say the sky is blue and I will go with a different color.

I can see seton hall, but providence? Nope no way

I also could give two flips about anything Hurley has to say. He could say the sky is blue and I will go with a different color.
I agree on Seton Hall. I saw Providence play a few times this season and they were not competitive in games against Marquette or UCONN and struggled against some others they should not have struggled against if they were truly a good team. I think Kim English gets them sorted out. This was just his 1st year. As for St. John's...they were OK. They did have some good games against better opponents but I don't think they won any of them. Most people wanted them in just for Pitino.

Terrible strategy there. You literally have one job in that situation and that's to not le them get a 3. Heck, even allowing them to inbound and hit an uncontested layup in that situation is good because it runs time off the clock, at leas .5-.6. I would space my guys out equally around the arc, you switch all screens because again, it doesn't matter what the screener does after he sets the screen, unless he does a Matt Reed and bounce behind the line...but then again, that player is setting the screen because they're not trying to get the ball to him.

Then your inbounds play is a high lob to the opposite foul line and the only job your tallest player has is to volleyball set it into the air some more.

Teams should pay me to develop their end of game clock management and strategy. I am also of the strong opinion that if you're down by 6 pts with 30 seconds or under, the only shot you should be taking should be from behind the 3 pt line. It is near impossible to trade a layup for 2 FTs and hope to come back. If you're in an end of game fouling situation hoping you can get back in it, you should be taking 3's. Even if you're only down 3 with 15 seconds or under, you should be taking 3s. Waste way too much time trading 2s and then fouling.

And Houston's players just bungled the last minute of that game. Getting trapped in places you can't be if you're in that situation, dribbling the ball out of bounds, not having enough rebounders underneath when you know the other team is shooting from deep.

I fear Duke is going to be the real Duke on Friday night against them. And as good as Houston is defensively, I'm not sure they have anyone that can handle Filipowski effectively and certainly not if Duke has a 2nd player go off like McCain did yesterday.
Kelvin had defensive players 10 feet (in between their man and the goal) from the three point line when a three was the only play available for A&M. Then the defense was slow running to defend the three and it almost cost them the game. Give them a dunk 2 and throw the ball three quarter court with .4 seconds left if you have to.
Shead just saved their ass is the bottom line.

Let's talk women's NCAA tournament a little. I think it is a foregone conclusion that South Carolina is winning it all. There's no one close to their talent level. They beat the 8 seed in their region by 40 pts. USC was in a dog fight with their 8 seed (Kansas) until the last few minutes last night. Iowa was in a dog fight with their 8 seed (WVA) until the last minute. I just don't see anyone really testing South Carolina.

As for individual players, people have completely forgotten about Paige Bueckers because she missed most of the last 2 seasons with injuries. Last night she put up the easiest 32 pts, 10 reb I've ever seen. And Geno fired a shot out there calling Bueckers "the best player in college basketball". I tend to agree but she hasn't had the same level of support that past UCONN teams have had for players like Breanna Stewart and Taurasi. UCONN lacks depth and they actually lack size. Aaliyah Edwards is a monster for them but they just don't have complementary size to help her on the boards. This is why they're a 3 seed this year.

Caitlin Clark- tremendous player. It's not just about the points for her. She also has over 1000 assists in her career and closing in on 1000 rebounds. Iowa struggled last night because they simply couldn't hit the shots they normally make. They have a good group of players and it's not just the Clark show. WVa got in their faces all night last night and lots of clutching and grabbing on cuts and motion which the refs let go. I will say the refs let the women play a lot more than the refs on the men's side. That A&M/Houston game was a tough watch because there was no flow.

USC- watch them play and keep an eye on #12 Juju Watkins. She's just a freshman and she is like the women's version of Michael Jordan. 6'2" guard. Just so smooth with the ball and has great range and is a really good passer. Avg. 26.9 ppg, 7.3 RPG, and 2.3 APG along with 2.4 steals pg.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Let's talk women's NCAA tournament a little. I think it is a foregone conclusion that South Carolina is winning it all. There's no one close to their talent level. They beat the 8 seed in their region by 40 pts. USC was in a dog fight with their 8 seed (Kansas) until the last few minutes last night. Iowa was in a dog fight with their 8 seed (WVA) until the last minute. I just don't see anyone really testing South Carolina.

As for individual players, people have completely forgotten about Paige Bueckers because she missed most of the last 2 seasons with injuries. Last night she put up the easiest 32 pts, 10 reb I've ever seen. And Geno fired a shot out there calling Bueckers "the best player in college basketball". I tend to agree but she hasn't had the same level of support that past UCONN teams have had for players like Breanna Stewart and Taurasi. UCONN lacks depth and they actually lack size. Aaliyah Edwards is a monster for them but they just don't have complementary size to help her on the boards. This is why they're a 3 seed this year.

Caitlin Clark- tremendous player. It's not just about the points for her. She also has over 1000 assists in her career and closing in on 1000 rebounds. Iowa struggled last night because they simply couldn't hit the shots they normally make. They have a good group of players and it's not just the Clark show. WVa got in their faces all night last night and lots of clutching and grabbing on cuts and motion which the refs let go. I will say the refs let the women play a lot more than the refs on the men's side. That A&M/Houston game was a tough watch because there was no flow.

USC- watch them play and keep an eye on #12 Juju Watkins. She's just a freshman and she is like the women's version of Michael Jordan. 6'2" guard. Just so smooth with the ball and has great range and is a really good passer. Avg. 26.9 ppg, 7.3 RPG, and 2.3 APG along with 2.4 steals pg.
Caitlyn Clark...as good of a player as she is...she is such a whiny little B and acts like a 5 year old. It's pathetic and even her dad had to tell her to stfu. Her antics are so played.

Caitlyn Clark...as good of a player as she is...she is such a whiny little B and acts like a 5 year old. It's pathetic and even her dad had to tell her to stfu. Her antics are so played.
Yeah, I'd agree that she has become one of the entitled players in the game, expecting every call...sort of LeBronish or like James Harden. Seriously, she has enough game she doesn't need to do any other talking or gestures. I can definitely see her being one of those trash talkers on the court and then going Larry Bird on her opponents. She's not terribly athletic or quick but she's got that basketball savvy, seemingly unlimited range, and she is simply a great freaking passer...I think that part of her game is so underrated because everyone expects her to just score and hog the ball...and she really doesn't.

BTW, attendance at women's games is just ridiculous right now. And viewership on TV. Someday hopefully we can get TU women's basketball to be that show.

Baylor you suck
Why do I expect anything more from them....
Episode 17 Thank You Sir GIF by The Simpsons

• Haha
Why do I expect anything more from them....
Episode 17 Thank You Sir GIF by The Simpsons
Baylor and Houston are built very similarly. They are both very tenacious defensive teams but can struggle to score at times. Looks like Baylor really struggled to find the range the other day against Clemson early.

What? Coaches at a Big10 school. Been to the tournament 3 of the last 4 years including a trip to the elite 8. That’s a home run hire for SMU imo.
Been past the first round once...trending down...and seriously regressed this past season?

Seems very Haithish to me.

Reactions: drboobay
Been past the first round once...trending down...and seriously regressed this past season?

Seems very Haithish to me.
You’re comparing a coach who’s been to the elite 8 and the sweet 16 to Frank? A guy who had been to 3 straight NCAAs until this year. Been past the first round 3x fwiw. Finished 3,2,3,2 in the Pac12 in four of the last five years. Gets a pass this year due to all the injuries imo. Big time hire for SMU.

Most interesting hire...Missouri State hiring a guy they fired and had to pay a six mil buyout a few years ago in Cuonzo Martin. Wonder if they are still paying on the first time around.;)

They hired a guy that Missouri fired. He left SMS for Tenn over a decade ago.

Reactions: I.I.
but they've won everywhere they've been and as far as I know have never been on the wrong end of the NCAA's investigative unit. Dana Altman and Rick Barnes. Altman just continues to put out good teams.

These guys just win and run pretty clean programs and no one really mentions them with the great coaches in America.
Yeah no. Altman knew a player was suspended at Providence for rape and recruited him to Oregon anyway. Whereupon that player shortly after arriving on campus recruited two new teammates to rape a woman at Oregon. Altman played all three while the police investigation continued through the season and media reports suggest he lied to the public about his knowledge of the young man’s transfer status prior to the signing. He was dropped from the law suit personally but she settled with the school for a significant sum.

So yeah, people aren’t going to jump on TV and mention him as a great coach.

You probably shouldn’t either.

Baylor would probably hire him tomorrow.*

Reactions: dlsnid and TU 1978
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT