ADVERTISEMENT

2020 football season

Wow that was difficult to read at times. The lack of editing these days really can be shocking. Glad the TW caught up to the discussion we had here in early March.

Nice!!!!!

Brilliant. Let the wackos be wackos and enjoy the rot.

Must continue to walk and chew gum at same time.

In my opinion, until people stop dying 'en masse' from this virus and a reliable vaccine is developed, then there's a control problem in every state.

Won't change your mind. I know. But, man, I feel very sorry for you at this time Chris. I truly do.

This is a VIRUS. There's likely never going to be a vaccine to cure this or eradicate it. Treatments will be the solution most likely --- and we already have figured out better ways to treat.

BTW:
The #'s of infected are way more than the actual confirmed positive tests have shown. The fatality rate is slightly more than a bad flu season. What's very interesting is the # of deaths attributed to the "lock-downs" --- pay attention to heart disease, cancer and suicide/homicide spikes in coming months. Lots of crazy stuff happening right now that we haven't begun to feel or realize yet. Lots of bad things in the making RIGHT NOW --- DUE TO THE LOCKDOWNS (which were suppose to be about "flattening the curve" and now appear to be about much different reasons --- mostly politically motivated for various agendas).

Won't change your mind. I know. But, man, I feel very sorry for you at this time Chris. I truly do.

This is a VIRUS. There's likely never going to be a vaccine to cure this or eradicate it. Treatments will be the solution most likely --- and we already have figured out better ways to treat.
Not really sure how to reply to this, but first, there's zero need to feel sorry for me at this time. I'm doing just fine.

As for the virus, I feel that I'm a decently educated person, and I'm aware that "live virus" vaccines are often used to help the immune system recognize and combat viruses. That's nothing new, and it's why so much money is being thrown at creating a vaccine right now. A vaccine would certainly help control future outbreaks, comparable to how we deal with the flu.

I agree with you that a lot has been learned about this coronavirus and COVID-19 in a short amount of time, and better treatments are being found, but that isn't keeping folks from dying en masse yet when there's a concentrated outbreak. There is still so much more to learn. I'm not saying everything needs to stay locked down, but I find it interesting that any state would currently think they have it under control and can jam 30,000 to 100,000 people into a football stadium without risk.

Not really sure how to reply to this, but first, there's zero need to feel sorry for me at this time. I'm doing just fine.

As for the virus, I feel that I'm a decently educated person, and I'm aware that "live virus" vaccines are often used to help the immune system recognize and combat viruses. That's nothing new, and it's why so much money is being thrown at creating a vaccine right now. A vaccine would certainly help control future outbreaks, comparable to how we deal with the flu.

I agree with you that a lot has been learned about this coronavirus and COVID-19 in a short amount of time, and better treatments are being found, but that isn't keeping folks from dying en masse yet when there's a concentrated outbreak. There is still so much more to learn. I'm not saying everything needs to stay locked down, but I find it interesting that any state would currently think they have it under control and can jam 30,000 to 100,000 people into a football stadium without risk.
I think the thing that makes a lot of people reject the notion of long term stutdown is the fact that the virus doesn’t effects everyone the same. I have had several people I work with get the virus and they were just fine. Some didn’t even know they had it. Meanwhile, the latest statistics show that a large majority of people who have died were older and/or had preexisting medical issues. It’s absolutely horrible that people All over the world are dying from the virus but this is not one size fits all and certainly for a large majority that contract it, NOT the end of the world. There is no cure for the flu bc it keeps mutating and there will likely be no cure for this virus. IMO, all places where people congregate should always provide ways to keep people interacting in a more hygienic way but long term lockdown for something that will never be cured is not the answer!

Reactions: 4tu2
I think the thing that makes a lot of people reject the notion of long term stutdown is the fact that the virus doesn’t effects everyone the same. I have had several people I work with get the virus and they were just fine. Some didn’t even know they had it. Meanwhile, the latest statistics show that a large majority of people who have died were older and/or had preexisting medical issues. It’s absolutely horrible that people All over the world are dying from the virus but this is not one size fits all and certainly for a large majority that contract it, NOT the end of the world. There is no cure for the flu bc it keeps mutating and there will likely be no cure for this virus. IMO, all places where people congregate should always provide ways to keep people interacting in a more hygienic way but long term lockdown for something that will never be cured is not the answer!
I think the hope is that this will become manageable just like the flu, which again, is why so much money is going into developing a vaccine. We're not talking about a cure.

As for a long-term lockdown, that's not even an issue in my mind. I think the stay-at-home stuff helped, but where I live, despite having stay-at-home orders through April 30, I couldn't tell anything was ever different. I never came across anyone in Coweta that was wearing gloves or a mask, and folks weren't doing a very good job of social distancing either. The bottom line for me is common sense and protecting myself if I'm out and about...I can control that for the most part.

However, packing 30,000 to 100,000 people into sports venues is something entirely different and has nothing to do with a lockdown.

This is such a polarizing issue. In most cases if no one you know has died then “it’s no big deal and the reaction is overblown” while on the other end it’s “my aunt and uncle died they didn’t do enough”. The vast majority is in the middle but aren’t vocal like the two extremes. Also a lot of these posts saying “I know people who had it and it was just like a cold”, I would like to know if they actually got tested or if it actually was a cold. Tests are still hard to come by in most places, some areas only test you if you’re entering the hospital and here you can’t get tested unless your doctor sends you and most of us don’t go to a doctor for a cold.

From my viewpoint I’m looking forward to eating out again, playing cards with my friends and going to basketball tournaments but if it’s putting people’s lives at risk I can keep cooking and watching old movies. I also don’t think opening up gyms and restaurants is going to get the economy to jump back. Until this is under control most people aren’t going back to their old routines.

Reactions: Chris Harmon
The virus isn’t going away. The models have been wrong and are currently wrong. There won’t be a steep decline to practically zero. Packing football stadiums really isn’t the key question. Whether school and university campuses are going to open in August will be the question. We obviously probably can’t keep them closed for another year. Tough decisions are going to have to be made as well as some realizations that this isn’t going away and people will continue to die. Along with some perspective that people do die everyday from various causes.

SMU has already announced they are opening on schedule.

SMU has already announced they are opening on schedule.

I don’t believe any announcement made at this time. Too many unknowns. I was also taking about elementary and high schools fwiw. Colleges will face extreme financial difficulties without students.

Dear SMU Community,

It’s time to look to the future.

I am pleased to announce that SMU intends to safely open our University for on-campus teaching, learning and student living for the fall semester. We are looking forward to delivering the unique academic experience that defines SMU, and to rekindling the energy our students bring to campus.

Clearly, we will work within the boundaries of governmental guidelines as we plan for the beginning of fall classes. Be assured, every phase of our return to campus will launch with the health and safety of our campus population in mind. Your University is committed to managing this process aggressively and efficiently, using data and verifiable research to make good decisions.

It is important that we move toward the goal of an open campus with confidence, understanding that the path forward will take creativity and patience as the pandemic and our response to it continue to evolve. If you could see, as I have, the extraordinary work and innovation that have carried our University through the past few months, you would understand the source of my confidence.

Our most obvious challenges in preparing for the return of students to campus are physical. We are examining how we will safely gather and learn together in the age of social distancing. The President’s Task Force for a Healthy Opening Fall 2020 is mapping out plans for managing the density of our campus population, from the classrooms to the residence halls.

I would encourage all of you – our current SMU family and those of you we look forward to welcoming in the fall – to embrace the pragmatic optimism that is fueling SMU’s plans for fall 2020. The start of this new academic year will be different in some ways, but what makes us SMU will stay the same. We will learn from each other, and we will take care of each other. It is what Mustangs do.

I understand them putting out an announcement that they will open on schedule but if we actually believe now that they have released this statement they are locked into opening regardless of what happens over the next 2 months I feel like that is a massive oversimplification of things.

It is my belief that what happens over the next 6 weeks as people resume some degree of normalcy will be what directs our next steps. Either :crap: hits the fan and we decide the risk isn’t worth the reward, or it stays relatively manageable and we as a society are willing to live with the collateral damage. No matter what, there will be strong opinions on both sides of the isle for a change. That said, I’m glad I’m not the HBC making the calls on this one. Nobody wins.

It’s in any university’s financial best interest to release such a statement. There’s way too much money on the line now and over the next decade to take a doom and gloom approach publicly.

If you look at the number of "Gray Hairs" at the games one round of the virus could knockout 60% of our fan base!

Media has been wrong, experts have been wrong, politicians have been wrong. Believe what you want, don't believe what you want, but I'm going outside and will be at sporting events because the alternative is a long term depression that ACTUALLY will kill tens, if not hundreds, of millions across the globe.

1% increase in Unemployment = 40k killed.

Even if that stat is 1/2 BS, the economic downturn will cause more death than the virus. Likely already has.

Reactions: wilsoncc
Guerin Emig has an interesting article on the fall football season. An interesting perspective especially with some leagues implying that if some teams are in states where there continues to be a COVID-19 control problem the rest of the league might play without them. Strange times, indeed.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/c...cle_445103f2-b939-5026-9b17-d9d363ac81f1.html
This is pretty interesting because the governor of Oregon has already said she doesn't foresee large scale sporting events for 8-9 months in the state. This would destroy the PAC-12 schedule...sort of. And I don't think Oregon and Oregon St could even play games if the governor orders that campuses remain closed and they stick to a distance learning model. Maybe they could...but all their games would be road games.

CA is going to be a bear to reopen. Same for New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Michigan. And the GA governor is already regretting his decision from a couple of weeks ago to reopen prematurely at the urging of President Pumpkin. They've been spiking at about 900 new cases every other day (it's almost as though they don't get info on testing on the in between days). New info out of FL is that they've decided not to report any test results coming from "private" testing (done outside the country health depts). Well that will provide an accurate picture. "Hey FL had only 100 new COVID cases today but is avg. 400 COVID deaths per day". Hell, the WH has it's very own outbreak---dumb asses.

Reactions: Rapostman
This is such a polarizing issue. In most cases if no one you know has died then “it’s no big deal and the reaction is overblown” while on the other end it’s “my aunt and uncle died they didn’t do enough”. The vast majority is in the middle but aren’t vocal like the two extremes. Also a lot of these posts saying “I know people who had it and it was just like a cold”, I would like to know if they actually got tested or if it actually was a cold. Tests are still hard to come by in most places, some areas only test you if you’re entering the hospital and here you can’t get tested unless your doctor sends you and most of us don’t go to a doctor for a cold.

From my viewpoint I’m looking forward to eating out again, playing cards with my friends and going to basketball tournaments but if it’s putting people’s lives at risk I can keep cooking and watching old movies. I also don’t think opening up gyms and restaurants is going to get the economy to jump back. Until this is under control most people aren’t going back to their old routines.
I know someone who had it...they're in recovery phase right now. She's in relatively good health. She described it as feeling very flu like but it lingered way longer than the normal course of the flu. She said it felt like a giant cat sitting on her chest the whole time and at the peak of her symptoms breathing was very labored and tiring. She was tested and diagnosed and she lives in NJ just outside of NYC...so she's in a hotspot.

I agree with you on everything else. The rush to open everything back up and the willful ignorance and stubbornness of people not wanting to wear masks, follow directional signs in a grocery store, or any number of other routine, simple, preventative things will cause this to linger around for a good while...because no one can tell us what to do... 'Murica.

If football comes back... it's going to come back without fan attendance. That's for sure. But we have to see if the Universities open to students on campus. If they don't, then there are going to be hundreds of Universities in serious financial trouble.

Reactions: alchemy and TU Man
I think fall should be a go in a hybrid school year if needed. All winter and fall athletes on campus and then pick a few majors to have in person instruction. Athletes monitored by medical staff and games attended by family of players coaches and staff along with a set number that can safely be distanced in each venue. We need football , students athletes need to be connected to their teams coaches and routines. Students in general need to get back to doing what they do. Just my two cents that really means nothing.... lol

I know someone who had it...they're in recovery phase right now. She's in relatively good health. She described it as feeling very flu like but it lingered way longer than the normal course of the flu. She said it felt like a giant cat sitting on her chest the whole time and at the peak of her symptoms breathing was very labored and tiring. She was tested and diagnosed and she lives in NJ just outside of NYC...so she's in a hotspot.

I agree with you on everything else. The rush to open everything back up and the willful ignorance and stubbornness of people not wanting to wear masks, follow directional signs in a grocery store, or any number of other routine, simple, preventative things will cause this to linger around for a good while...because no one can tell us what to do... 'Murica.

I am originally from New York, but very much disagree with and dislike the NY/NE US attitude that we are smarter than the people of middle America. Over the years, I’ve found their intellectual arrogance both inflated and incorrect. Yes, I have a few relatives who fit that description. This virus has reinforced their opinion of us and my opinion of them.

The NYC/NE crowd thinks we’re reckless & lack intelligence to stay safe. I believe it has much more to do with our fortunate lack of serious health damage from this virus in our part of the country. If current health outcomes in this pandemic were completely reversed, it would be the hard nosed New Yorkers saying we’re not afraid of an invisible freaking virus & middle America would be saying they may have some book smarts up there, but they obviously lack any common sense.

To BLA’s point, we better not act like this thing is over, or we will be spiking in a few weeks. This point needs to be reinforced regularly to the young, invincible crowd (that I used to be a member of many years ago)!

Reactions: Hurricane Drummer
If football comes back... it's going to come back without fan attendance. That's for sure. But we have to see if the Universities open to students on campus. If they don't, then there are going to be hundreds of Universities in serious financial trouble.

If the attendance is normal, I wont have any issues with 6' distancing.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I have a question for Chris do you think we will play football in the fall?

will the players be required to maintain social distance?
Laser tag football, akin to Cross Country Skiing and Riflery. Offenses will be running in a modified spread, and a newly created spread defense will be mandatory.

Last edited:
They are going to play. Florida is actively recruiting the NFL to play on Sundays in their bowls and college football stadiums.

That's possible, since MLB and the NFL are considering the same things.
But MLB and the NFL don't have to have people on campus first. We can debate all we want but actual statistics show that the curve isn't flattening in any place EXCEPT NYC. GA governor opened 2 weeks ago and is now saying that was a mistake as their # of cases is skyrocketing towards a 2nd peak. WI is going to have a ridiculous spike because their state Supreme Court and legislature's only goal is to undermine the Governor. The politicians trying to undermine the other party are basically sealing their fate in politics. Their policy has nothing to do with the welfare of the people who elected them but all politically and power motivated.

I get it....this sucks. I've watched so many ridiculous TV shows I normally would not in the evening simply because there are no live sports. Hell, I watched an EPL e-match over the weekend between a guy from Aston Villa and a player from Leicester and started getting excited about the moves and passing. We all want things back to a place close to what we called normal as soon as possible. We're not even close to being in a place for that to happen realistically. Infection rates in OK are still increasing (not decreasing), mortality rate in OK is 10th highest in the nation behind only places with far more people and a greater population density. China, South Korea, and Japan are all experiencing new spikes in infections despite all of the early measures put in place to a point where they were really seeing a significant reduction in the rate of infection to under 1.0. There's serious question as to whether being infected actually provides any meaningful immunity which would make this much more like a flu virus (and the likelihood that a vaccination would need to be administered every COVID season).

College sports is the least of our worries right now

They are going to play. Florida is actively recruiting the NFL to play on Sundays in their bowls and college football stadiums.
Florida's governor is a moron but I suspect most people on here know this. Florida has only been including numbers of people who have been tested at a county or state dept. of health facility. Majority of testing in Florida has been done by private providers mean it is extremely there are far more people affected than the state is reporting.

Also, new report from the last couple of days is that a certain type of test is showing a 48% rate of inaccuracy with showing false negative tests (more people infected than testing is showing).

He’s a SEAL team qualified veteran who graduated with honors from Harvard Law School.

I wish I was that moronic.
Yeah, and Trump graduated from Penn and he's the biggest idiot in the world right now. What you mentioned gets people elected, doesn't mean they have a clue what they're doing.

Yeah, and Trump graduated from Penn and he's the biggest idiot in the world right now. What you mentioned gets people elected, doesn't mean they have a clue what they're doing.
There's a difference between going to the ivy league on merit and going to the ivy league on hereditary wealth.

Reactions: Rapostman
This is pretty interesting because the governor of Oregon has already said she doesn't foresee large scale sporting events for 8-9 months in the state.

That's not what she said. She said large gatherings of people for events will likely not occur through September. Here's the relevant quote from the Oregon State Health Officer: “So I think as we approach football season, we can see how the disease is behaving in our community, what kind of steps could be taken around the team themselves and the coaches and others around the team to see if they can safely start. But as you heard from the governor’s remarks, large gatherings will likely not be happening through the end of September. So if or when those activities resume, they would likely resume without the fans in the stands, but hopefully the fans watching them from a screen in the safety of their own home.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT