ADVERTISEMENT

2019 AAC Football Recruiting Rankings by 247 Sports

Tulsa Guy

I.T.S. Redshirt Freshman
Aug 11, 2018
#56 UCF: 21 recruits, 21 3-Stars, 179.64 points.

#66 MEMPHIS: 22 recruits, 22 3-Stars, 171.87 points.

#69 SMU: 19 recruits, 17 3-Stars, 165.72 points.

#75 CINCINNATI: 16 recruits, 15 3-Stars, 158.80 points.

#76 EAST CAROLINA: 22 recruits, 18 3-Stars, 158.59 points.

#77 USF: 19 recruits, 19 3-Stars, 158.05 points.

#85 HOUSTON: 15 recruits, 15 3-Stars, 151.07 points.

#94 TULANE: 19 recruits, 15 3-Stars, 143.85 points.

#102 TEMPLE: 18 recruits, 17 3-Stars, 138.87 points.

#108 TULSA: 21 recruits, 11 3-Stars, 134.21 points.

#124 NAVY: 27 recruits, 8 3-Stars, 122.23 points.

#126 UCONN: 14 commits, 11 3-Stars, 119.62 points.

#56 UCF: 21 recruits, 21 3-Stars, 179.64 points.

#66 MEMPHIS: 22 recruits, 22 3-Stars, 171.87 points.

#69 SMU: 19 recruits, 17 3-Stars, 165.72 points.

#75 CINCINNATI: 16 recruits, 15 3-Stars, 158.80 points.

#76 EAST CAROLINA: 22 recruits, 18 3-Stars, 158.59 points.

#77 USF: 19 recruits, 19 3-Stars, 158.05 points.

#85 HOUSTON: 15 recruits, 15 3-Stars, 151.07 points.

#94 TULANE: 19 recruits, 15 3-Stars, 143.85 points.

#102 TEMPLE: 18 recruits, 17 3-Stars, 138.87 points.

#108 TULSA: 21 recruits, 11 3-Stars, 134.21 points.

#124 NAVY: 27 recruits, 8 3-Stars, 122.23 points.

#126 UCONN: 14 commits, 11 3-Stars, 119.62 points.
Basically a reverse ranking of the number of academic waivers granted by each school

Do you think UCF has to grant academic many waivers to get those kids to meet their academic acceptance standards? As for TU, does the Admin set a maximum number of waivers we will accept per class?

Do you think UCF has to grant academic many waivers to get those kids to meet their academic acceptance standards? As for TU, does the Admin set a maximum number of waivers we will accept per class?
SMU is academically on par with us but they somehow managed to land 18 three stars.

Yes. UCF actually has freshman FTIC entrance standards similar to TU. But those students are a tiny fraction of their enrollment like 10% of the students who are first year on campus. Almost all of those students are STEM in the space engineering and math programs. And athletes.

The overwhelming majority of UCF students are students who entered UF and FSU and were unable to academically continue. The next tier of student are graduates of Florida’s community college system which focuses mostly on college prep, remedial English and Algebra II, etc. Some can barely read and write. I know. I used to try and teach them then watched in shock as they went on to UCF.

Overall graduation rate of FTIC freshman enrollees at UCF is like 40 percent and like 8-9 percent of each graduating class. I did the numbers years ago and things change but like 90 percent of the students who graduate from UCF did not enter UCF as freshmen and did not graduate in 5 years or both. It truly is U Can’t Finish.

I don’t know what the current policy is, but I know that under Stead each entrance waiver for football was thumbs up or thumbs down by him personally. At one point the number was zero under BB. Still is as far as I know.

I don’t know what the current policy is, but I know that under Stead each entrance waiver for football was thumbs up or thumbs down by him personally. At one point the number was zero under BB. Still is as far as I know.

Basketball is in fact still zero. We do give them in football however. A fact that hasn't gone unnoticed by our basketball staff.

SMU is actually ranked 47 spots above us in the 2019 rankings. Not sure how many waivers they're giving out in either sport.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
Yes. UCF actually has freshman FTIC entrance standards similar to TU. But those students are a tiny fraction of their enrollment like 10% of the students who are first year on campus. Almost all of those students are STEM in the space engineering and math programs. And athletes.

The overwhelming majority of UCF students are students who entered UF and FSU and were unable to academically continue. The next tier of student are graduates of Florida’s community college system which focuses mostly on college prep, remedial English and Algebra II, etc. Some can barely read and write. I know. I used to try and teach them then watched in shock as they went on to UCF.

Overall graduation rate of FTIC freshman enrollees at UCF is like 40 percent and like 8-9 percent of each graduating class. I did the numbers years ago and things change but like 90 percent of the students who graduate from UCF did not enter UCF as freshmen and did not graduate in 5 years or both. It truly is U Can’t Finish.

Yikes

Basketball is in fact still zero. We do give them in football however. A fact that hasn't gone unnoticed by our basketball staff.

SMU is actually ranked 47 spots above us in the 2019 rankings. Not sure how many waivers they're giving out in either sport.

This is accurate and unfortunate for Frank and staff.

And football recruits like 5x as many players each year. It makes sense that they would need some help. We should be able to find 4 guys a year who can play hoops and aren’t dumba$$e$.

The problem you have in basketball is that many of the high level prospects come from at risk disadvantaged inner city schools. It’s not that the kids are “dumbasses” but instead don’t have access to the educational resources of the kids in the suburbs. If football can throw out waivers (they do btw), I see no reason why our basketball program can’t receive one or two on a thirteen scholarship allocation. Couch it in terms of helping disadvantaged kids instead of helping the basketball program if it makes you feel better. At the end of the day both would be accomplished.

Not when you consider that we were paying for adult literacy classes for some of Nolan’s players.

I’ll bet the increased attendance actually paid that bill...

Or.. we could say that this one event caused a buttload of problems and expenses later on...

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
The problem you have in basketball is that many of the high level prospects come from at risk disadvantaged inner city schools. It’s not that the kids are “dumbasses” but instead don’t have access to the educational resources of the kids in the suburbs. If football can throw out waivers (they do btw), I see no reason why our basketball program can’t receive one or two on a thirteen scholarship allocation. Couch it in terms of helping disadvantaged kids instead of helping the basketball program if it makes you feel better. At the end of the day both would be accomplished.
There was more truth to that when we were in school. If you can play ball and wanna go to Union or Owasso, either mommas gonna get a job and/or apartment in that district or you move in with your “uncle” in the 8th grade. The kids now have tremendous opportunities, especially those with unique abilities including athletics

I’m sure the school has a program to help people from disadvantaged backgrounds and athletes should have the same opportunity to take advantage of that as anyone else. But to use that program as a way to get in people who don’t serve the purpose of the program is absolutely the wrong thing.

I’m sure the school has a program to help people from disadvantaged backgrounds and athletes should have the same opportunity to take advantage of that as anyone else. But to use that program as a way to get in people who don’t serve the purpose of the program is absolutely the wrong thing.

But that is exactly what is and has occurred in our football program. The question is whether basketball should be afforded the same opportunities as football?

Goes back to thought that we think we are so high academically. We need to forget about that and start making the university about the city. The general public could care less about our ranking in the academic world.

But that is exactly what is and has occurred in our football program. The question is whether basketball should be afforded the same opportunities as football?
Basketball should be afforded the same opportunity as engineering or political science. It’s gross to claim a program is about helping disadvantaged students when it’s really to favor the sports teams. Either lower the standards for sports because we want to win and don’t pretend to be doing God’s work or have them subject to the same rules on disadvantaged preference as all other applicants.

Basketball should be afforded the same opportunity as engineering or political science. It’s gross to claim a program is about helping disadvantaged students when it’s really to favor the sports teams. Either lower the standards for sports because we want to win and don’t pretend to be doing God’s work or have them subject to the same rules on disadvantaged preference as all other applicants.

Again...football grants waivers because they want to win. I have no issues with that company line. My question again is why do we have a double standard for our two revenue sports?

Well I disagree about ignoring academics and assume that was facetious.

At least SMU is not (we hope) still expressly cheating for its athletes, although "giving out waivers like candy" sounds like cheating is anticipated to retain said athletes.

As for the Self era, I still cringe remembering the CBS radio post-game announcer ask one of the players during the Elite 8 run (the great guy with the silver fillings, why am I blanking on his name) whe he came to Tulsa? And he answered, I liked the State. The announcer quickly added, of Oklahoma? Reply, yes!

It was not. Why do we think that the public cares? The only people that care if we are ranked are the faculty. The more publicity you receive, the higher regard of the general public. The university has a higher regard for itself than what is reality.

My biochemistry degree was worthless and am very thankful I didn't have 100k in loans from TU. My 10k nursing degree from Podunk community college has done wonders for my career though. TU is nothing special academically. Just another overpriced University. I still cheer for TU though because I loved my time there. College was the best time of my life. But i could have gotten just as good of an education almost anywhere.

Point being, let kids in and let them play and give them a good education...just like they do at OU, OSU, A&M, UT, ETC ETC. Getting 9-10 wins a season will increase revenue much more than being #1 in some academic standards in the state will...

I wouldn't go that far. We should never completely throw away our academic standards for the sake of athletics. My only question was why does the university have a double standard?

SMU is academically on par with us but they somehow managed to land 18 three stars.
Dallas. And Dykes has always been a good recruiter but never able to stick anywhere. Wonder why that is? He’s had one really good year at LaTech.

And Houston, Memphis, USF, and UCF admit just about anyone who applies athletes or not. They’re one step up from 2-yr JUCOs in terms of admissions requirements, and that’s not a knock on them, it’s just what their founding purpose was. They’re there to serve their local communities in terms of higher education. SMU always seems to take a lot of kids who may or may not be able to cut it academically at SMU. Then again, they were recently on probation for having secretaries and admins and academic support personnel completing online class assignments for basketball and golf players.

Dallas. And Dykes has always been a good recruiter but never able to stick anywhere. Wonder why that is? He’s had one really good year at LaTech.

And Houston, Memphis, USF, and UCF admit just about anyone who applies athletes or not. They’re one step up from 2-yr JUCOs in terms of admissions requirements, and that’s not a knock on them, it’s just what their founding purpose was. They’re there to serve their local communities in terms of higher education. SMU always seems to take a lot of kids who may or may not be able to cut it academically at SMU. Then again, they were recently on probation for having secretaries and admins and academic support personnel completing online class assignments for basketball and golf players.
SMU gives them out like candy. Theres a significant portion of the faculty and alumni that feel that SMU should do more for disadvantaged students particularly those in the metroplex.

UCF acceptance rate is deceiving because of state requirements to admit community college students after two years. If you strip away those folks, as noted above, their composite ACT for first time in college freshman entrants on their main campus is 28. At TU it is 29. The GPAs are similar too. So while they let just about anyone in as a transfer, it’s very difficult to get in as an FTIC. Most of the athletes are waivers. I’m in a position to know. I taught undergraduate school in Central Florida.

They can issue waivers and we can’t because they can hide athletic non-academic performers amongst their huge student body. Because we are small, those kinds of academic casualitues cause havoc with our overall retention rate and US news ranking. Similarly basketball is smaller than football so even 2 academic casualties messes with the APR.

Last edited:
Agree with basketball being smaller and the potential greater impact on APR. One waiver on the basketball roster is equivalent to 6.5 players on the football roster. The argument for basketball is that one great basketball player obviously has a greater impact than in football (other than maybe QB). Looking at our basketball APR, we don’t appear to be in any danger of falling below the red line.

My biochemistry degree was worthless and am very thankful I didn't have 100k in loans from TU. My 10k nursing degree from Podunk community college has done wonders for my career though. TU is nothing special academically. Just another overpriced University. I still cheer for TU though because I loved my time there. College was the best time of my life. But i could have gotten just as good of an education almost anywhere.
My experience was the exact opposite. I went to two different top 2 programs, one grad school and law school (don’t recommend that btw) and never felt that I was competing with people who had a better education than me, and there were lots of folks from Harvard, Princeton, Yale, UVA, Michigan etc. But there were plenty of people who clearly had not gotten as good of an education as I had. I expected to run into people who had an advantage on me and it never happened. TU prepared me better than I ever thought it would.

Excellent point, that’s the problem. If you admit students who will never be able to make it, you either let them fail, which is terrible for them, or you bend the rules (cheat) to let them “pass.” That’s a lose lose for everyone except maybe the football team. Those students should go to schools where they can succeed. We owe them that. I’m sure we offer disadvantaged students a lot of support, but some just won’t make it. We’re doing them a major disservice to bring them in if they can’t succeed.

Reactions: HuffyCane and 4tu2
My experience was the exact opposite. I went to two different top 2 programs, one grad school and law school (don’t recommend that btw) and never felt that I was competing with people who had a better education than me, and there were lots of folks from Harvard, Princeton, Yale, UVA, Michigan etc. But there were plenty of people who clearly had not gotten as good of an education as I had. I expected to run into people who had an advantage on me and it never happened. TU prepared me better than I ever thought it would.
This was my experience, particularly at Oxford.

This was my experience, particularly at Oxford.
I know this isn’t cool, but I worked my a$$ off at TU, even in classes where I didn’t really need to. I took hard classes, did the reading, went to class, studied a lot, etc. maybe that made a difference. I can only speak to the social sciences but when I was there, an exceptional education was available if you wanted it.

I know this isn’t cool, but I worked my a$$ off at TU, even in classes where I didn’t really need to. I took hard classes, did the reading, went to class, studied a lot, etc. maybe that made a difference. I can only speak to the social sciences but when I was there, an exceptional education was available if you wanted it.
I believe what you are saying is that TU gave you the structure to have confidence in your hard work and self belief. While that discovery is possible anywhere for anyone, it is scarcely found. In my case, it would have been impossible anywhere but TU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT