ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Player Discussion Thread: Martins Igbanu

ctt8410

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Sophomore F Martins Igbanu

After the resounding success of the Emmanuel Ezechinonso era, Tulsa went back to the Covenant Christian Ministries Academy pipeline and grabbed 3-star Martins Igbanu over interest from Cincinnati, among others. In retrospect, it's easy to see why Mick Cronin was recruiting him. After playing his way into, and then back out of, the starting lineup over the first 6 games, Igbanu played just 7 minutes per game for the remainder of the non-conference schedule. But an 8-point, 7-rebound performance against UConn got him back into the regular rotation, where he eventually won a spot in the starting lineup for the final 13 games of the season. Per 40 minutes, Igbanu averaged 17 points/10 rebounds in AAC play.

With the offseason departures of Edogi and Magnay, Igbanu will be 1 of just 3 true post players remaining on the roster this season. My model wanted to limit him to 21mpg, but the circumstances will likely require Igbanu to match his career high (29) early and often this season, which could be a problem for the most foul-prone returning player on the roster. Igbanu has the tools to be a force inside and if he can make improvements defensively and with his free throw shooting, he could be the best big man Tulsa has seen in a long time.

Random stat: Igbanu was #1 in conference play in fouls drawn per minute played.

2017 stats: 15.3mpg, 6.3ppg, 4.0rpg, 0.3apg, 0.2spg, 1.4topg, 0.3bpg, 56.0% 2PT, 55.6% 3PT, 58.9% FT
2018 proj.: 26.9mpg, 12.0ppg, 6.7rpg, 0.8apg, 0.5spg, 2.7topg, 0.8bpg, 52.9% 2PT, 29.4% 3PT, 65.7% FT

Igbanu is a worker and because of that I have high expectations for next season. The long ball he displayed at the end of last season shocked me but if that was a skill rather than a fluke he could put up big numbers in the seasons to come. His block numbers need to increase way more with expanded minutes. It needs to be 1+ and hopefully 2+. If he can get the return pass to the guards down and our shooters are as expected I could see a big jump in assists also.

He HAS to defend without fouling this year. If he doesn't we'll be in trouble. I enjoyed the ol' fake a wrist injury to wide open 3 routine he pulled off last season.

Reactions: ctt8410
Also, I know he wasn't a volume 3 point shooter last season but sub 30% seems a bit low to me. He shot a ton of those shots in HS. No reason he'll drop that far now.

He’s going to shoot a thousand free throws this year so that % has to improve. He was open another 50-75 times last year on the low block with inept or ignoring guards not getting him the ball. But without Magnay, he can’t afford to foul. Best post moves in ages at TU. No one posts up on the block better. Has a great attitude and could infect the crowd with it. As most of you know I was an Igbanu fan from day one last year.

Best post moves in ages at TU. No one posts up on the block better.
I agree....So did a lot of the opposing coaches....He often makes more than
one move with the ball, allowing time for the opponents to double team him....
Which they started doing late in the season...Ctt8410's stats show an almost
non-existent stat # for assists....Hopefully, if the double teaming continues, he
will learn to kick the ball back out.....Someone has to be open....

Igbanu is a hard worker, and fun to watch.....He has a pretty heavy work load
awaiting him this season.....I hope he can stay healthy.....

Reactions: ctt8410
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT