ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Player Discussion Thread: Corey Henderson

ctt8410

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Senior G Corey Henderson

If you only watched a couple Tulsa games last year, I wouldn't blame you for thinking Corey Henderson was the best player on the team. His jumper is pure, he's quick, and he demands the ball at the end of the shot clock. And sometimes it all comes together. Like the 22-point performance against USF with Taplin in foul trouble that brought the team to 5-1 in conference play.

But if you watched every Tulsa game last year, you probably started to see the missed defensive assignments, the off-balance jumpers from 20 feet 8 inches, the stretch of 97 consecutive minutes played in December without grabbing a single rebound. Like Pat Swilling before him and Glenn Andrews before that, he's a nice player to have coming off your bench. Maybe he can provide a spark and give the team some energy. He can definitely make free throws. But it's not a guy you want playing significant minutes.

By my estimation, the arrival of Curran Scott means that Henderson can play that role this year. And with improved shot selection, he wouldn't need to look like the best player to play a role on a tournament team.

2017 stats: 22.4mpg, 8.7ppg, 1.1rpg, 1.2apg, 0.5spg, 1.3topg, 0.1bpg, 41.3% 2PT, 33.8% 3PT, 82.8% FT
2018 proj.: 18.4mpg, 5.6ppg, 0.9rpg, 1.0apg, 0.4spg, 0.8topg, 0.0bpg, 42.4% 2PT, 34.6% 3PT, 86.8% FT

Reactions: Gmoney4WW and Gold*
He's a nice player to have. That shot is sweet and the release is great. I agree on the minutes and role. My worst memory is the press SMU put on him and Wheeler when Taplin had to come out. That got ugly.

I wouldn't be opposed to him starting, but I think we all expect to see plenty of Scott and Joiner this year.

He's a nice player to have. That shot is sweet and the release is great. I agree
on the minutes and role. My worst memory is the press SMU put on him and
Wheeler when Taplin had to come out. That got ugly.

I wouldn't be opposed to him starting, but I think we all expect to see plenty of
Scott and Joiner this year.

Yes....I don't think we will see many game minutes elapse without Taplin or
Joiner at the point....Henderson will be competing with Scott for time at the
shooting guard position, along with Wheeler, and depending on his development,
Jackson....You can't rule out a Taplin-Joiner back court at times, either....

As someone posted a couple of days ago, Wheeler will really have to watch his
T/Os to earn much playing time this year....I can't foresee this year's team
needing to play someone who turns it over like he did last year....And, they
simply can't afford to....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT