ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Softball travels to Kansas

Tax Guy

I.T.S. Sophomore
Dec 5, 2003
Schedule
Friday,
11:30 Southeast Missouri State (13-5)they lost to UT Arlington 1-5 Tulsa beat UT Arlington 7-0
2:00 Missouri – Kansas City (6-16) UMKC lost to UT Arlington twice 4-0 and 10-1 (5) and twice to Wichita State 12-0 (5) and 6-3 Tulsa lost to Wichita State 3-5, UMKC lost to Arkansas twice 10-0 (5) and 13-1 (5)
Saturday
9:00 #12/13 Louisiana State (19-6) overall (1-2) in SEC LSU beat Florida Atlantic twice 5-1 and 9-1 (6) Tulsa lost to FAU 1-5 LSU beat Wichita State 4-3 (8)
2:00 Kansas (15-9) Tulsa won earlier meeting 2-1. Kansas lost to Northern Illinois 2-3 Tulsa lost 0-2. Kansas beat Lamar 1-0 and Alabama A&M 5-1, Tulsa won those 5-4 and 11-1 (5)
Sunday
9:00 Omaha (8-14) beat Montana 9-5 and lost twice to Oklahoma 9-1 (5) 8-0 in (5) Tulsa Beat Montana 3-1 and lost to OU 0-1

No midweek game.

(edited to update LSU-Wichita State game)

Last edited:
Reactions: chito_and_leon
Weekend results 5-0
Watson’s scoreless streak ended with on Sunday with a 2 run HR in the bottom of the 7th . Nice run!
Good to see Estocado’s name come up. Maybe she’ll return to form as the power threat we’re used to seeing from her and have been missing.
Tulsa also was errorless for the weekend.
20-10 going into Conference play starting next weekend.

Friday:
Game 1 W 6-0

SE Missouri 0 Runs 3 Hits 1 Error 2 LOB
Tulsa 6 Runs 8 Hits 0 Errors 5 LOB
Maggie Withee was 2 for 4
Shelby Estocado was 2 for 3
Julia Hollingsworth doubled
Emily Watson pitched 6 innings 0 Runs 1 Hit 1 BB and 12 K
Lexi Blevins pitched 1 with 0 Runs 2 Hits 0 BB and 0 K
Game 2 W 9-0 (6 innings)
Tulsa 9 Runs 13 Hits 0 Errors 5 LOB
UMKC 0 Runs 4 Hits 4 Errors and 9 LOB
Julie Hollingsworth was 2 for 4 with a RBI
Shelby Estocado was 2 for 4 with a double and 2 RBI
Shannon Hughes was 2 for 3 with a double and a RBI
Mikayla Whittten was 3 for 3 with a triple and 2 RBI and a SAC
Maddie Withee also doubled.
Madison Higley pitched 6 innings with 0 Runs 4 Hits 2 BB and 8 K
Saturday:
Game 1 W 1-0

LSU 0 runs 5 Hits 1 Error and 5 LOB
Tulsa 1 Run 1 Hit 0 Errors 4 LOB
Julia Hollingsworth lead off the first inning with a walk and advanced to 3rd on 2 WP then Maddie Withee got the Sac fly.
Emily Watson pitched 7 innings 0 Runs 5 Hits 1 BB and 8K
Game 2 W 4-3
Tulsa 4 Runs 11 Hits 0 Errors 8 LOB
Kansas 3 Runs 6 Hits 1 Error 6 LOB
Maggie Withee was 3 for 3 with an RBI
Rylie Spell was 3 for 3
Maddie Withee doubled with 2 RBI
Shelby Estocado homered
Haley Meinen pitched 3 innings 3 ER 4 hits 2 BB and 0 K
Lexi Blevins pitched 4 innings 0 Runs 2 Hits 1 BB and 4 K
Sunday W 7-2
Tulsa 7 Runs 14 Hits 0 Errors 6 LOB
Omaha 2 Runs 6 Hits 1 Error 4 LOB
Julie Hollingsworth was 2 for 3 with a double and a SB (and a CS)
Maggie Withee was 2 for 3 with a SB
Shannon Hughes was 2 for 4 with a double
Mikayla Whitten was 2 for 3
Lauren Lomax and Tori Stafford tripled
Emily Watson pitched 7 innings 2 ER 6 Hits 0 BB and 14 K

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Can't wait for softball dad's derision. 5-0 including an SEC and Big 12 team. Let's hear it jackass.

Watson is special jackass as a I stated...btw, 1 hit vs LSU hardly an offensive output jackass
No one said we had an offensive output. They struggled against OU too...but most teams are going to struggle offensively against any of those teams who trot out their #1 pitcher. But the number of runs they scored in the remainder of the games shows the team is capable against most other teams #1 pitcher. Just as Watson is an elite pitcher, there are some others out there who TU will occasionally face and struggle against. The freaking Red Sox set a record for runs scored and still could never get a damn hit off of Andy Pettite. It happens.

On the even better side and probably another reason why they can win the low scoring games...their defense seems to be finding their stride. ZERO errors in the 5 games. That's impressive on any level of softball/baseball.

Agreed...I have been fairly neutral..all I said and others have agreed is this wont be the best offensive Tulsa team...Watson is special...the sophomore class has a chance to be special and others have to come around..that is a accurate statement imo

They seem to be hitting their stride but we'll see if they can maintain it longer than a couple weeks - that's the hard part. But wins over top 25 teams two weeks in a row is a great sign!

And btw, I love the updates from Taxguy. These are great. I don't do more than read his posts and feel like I'm getting to know the team. That's some good journalism!

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
So far this year I have avoided offering much of an opinion…BUT I do have an observation, based on nothing but what I noticed skimming the play by play and box scores, posting that here and having ZERO opportunity to actually go to a game and watch. I’ve always thought that Emily has been a solid strike out power pitcher VERY susceptible to the home run the 2nd or 3rd time through the lineup. Something changed between the 2nd and 3rd week of the season around the first of March. She has been lights out since then. She added a pitch? Sequence? Workout Routine? Scouting? Attitude? Confidence? Maturity? I don’t know what and don’t care. It’s working for her.

So far this year I have avoided offering much of an opinion…BUT I do have an observation, based on nothing but what I noticed skimming the play by play and box scores, posting that here and having ZERO opportunity to actually go to a game and watch. I’ve always thought that Emily has been a solid strike out power pitcher VERY susceptible to the home run the 2nd or 3rd time through the lineup. Something changed between the 2nd and 3rd week of the season around the first of March. She has been lights out since then. She added a pitch? Sequence? Workout Routine? Scouting? Attitude? Confidence? Maturity? I don’t know what and don’t care. It’s working for her.
Maybe she just achieved an excellence at a pitch already in her repertoire that stopped homers from happening so often with that pitch. Would be good to see what her pitch with the majority of homers was.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT