2016 recruiting class big for Haith & future of TU basketball - story linked

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
Another great one from Larry Lewis...

Frank Haith knows the challenge awaiting him after this season. He is under no illusions. But he is confident he will be able to get Tulsa back quickly, and eventually reach new heights.
[
4109.gif
details]

Another great one from Larry Lewis...

Frank Haith knows the challenge awaiting him after this season. He is under no illusions. But he is confident he will be able to get Tulsa back quickly, and eventually reach new heights.
[
4109.gif
details]
JD's 8-20 team was not as bad as it looked on paper. His first game that year was Nolan's first return to Tulsa with a loaded Razorback team. Barnett and the Hurricane thrashed him 68-47 at the Convention Center. The house was packed. That TU team had five close overtime losses to really good teams but steadily went downhill after the Razorback victory. J.D. was an excellent X and O coach as evidenced by his coaching tree being one of the best in basketball. Unfortunately he scared away many great recruits.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
Great memory on the 8-20 J.D. team of 1988. They had some talent. But I remember J.D. telling me about his recruiting class that he'd never been so disappointed in group in his life. A couple of juco guys didn't pan out. Of course, J.D. also said of a 7-0 center he inherited from Nolan, "He's the worst competitor I've ever seen. He needs to be playing two of three levels lower." He said that on his radio show. J.D. said a lot of harsh things about his players.

The victory over Nolan's Arkansas team was a lot of fun. The debut of Wade Jenkins was exciting. Ray Wingard was a good center on that team. Don Royster could play. Something was missing.

Reactions: Chris Harmon
Great memory on the 8-20 J.D. team of 1988. They had some talent. But I remember J.D. telling me about his recruiting class that he'd never been so disappointed in group in his life. A couple of juco guys didn't pan out. Of course, J.D. also said of a 7-0 center he inherited from Nolan, "He's the worst competitor I've ever seen. He needs to be playing two of three levels lower." He said that on his radio show. J.D. said a lot of harsh things about his players.

The victory over Nolan's Arkansas team was a lot of fun. The debut of Wade Jenkins was exciting. Ray Wingard was a good center on that team. Don Royster could play. Something was missing.

What was missing was that there could not have possibly been a worse hire than JD Barnett based on they style of play and the players TU had before he came. TU went from Nolan's pressure, running style to Barnett's play in the 60's style. Horrible for the players and horrible for the fans. Throw in Barnett's sparkling personality and it really makes you wonder what the crap they were thinking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT