ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Soccer Signing Class

The two forwards we picked up look impressive. I know the Red Bulls kid deal might be interesting not knowing all the details but I know a lot of colleges are avoiding MLS academy players bc of the chance they might end up signing pro contracts to play on their USL squads.

I like this group a lot. Much more than some of the classes in the past that featured one or two high profile signings and some local kids that didnt really pan out. At first glance at the signings and the roster, it looks like they took care of some depth issues and provided some future options in terms of the spine in a year or two.

But, there's really no way to tell with some of these guys. Soccer recruiting is a little different from football and basketball recruiting in my opinion. The substitution rules, the size/maturity disparity between freshman and seniors isn't always pronounced as football, etc.

As a fan, even with no professional knowledge of the game, you can look at a 5 minute highlight reel of 6'1" 195 speedster at LB with a great frame and motor and see that after a red shirt and two years of lifting they will be ready to play at 215 lbs if they don't slow down. The coaches thinking on a player usually jumps off the page.

Soccer isn't always like that.

I agree with Dirty, the Red Bulls kid opens up a lot of possibilities and answers some concerns about the loss of Barrett, if he is truly the real deal. My problem with the academy players is that they don't always gel well with teammates because their objectives can differ from the stereotypical suburban guy who is playing for a free education,girls, and the fun of winning, but don't have any illusions about future stardom. There were some problems when MLS first started out, and again when the reserve league came back, where guys were just playing to get noticed by the new league. I won't mention names. LEC probably knows what I am talking about.

You worry that the same thing will happen with the new USL relationships, but that might be overblown. I don't want to get too technical, but the training compensation clause agreement with the academies may be coming to an end, so players like him that are part of the pro pipeline who are able to play in one to two years probably would have been signed earlier than later to avoid those potential fees. Depends on the CBA and other factors I imagine. So dollars to donuts, he is here to stay like Abe and some of the others.

I'm intrigued by the kid from Poteau just by looking at his listed size. I've not seen him play. He has the size and frame that TU typically does not recruit at forward. In the tourney, we sometimes get pushed around up front if the passing game is disrupted. Some of our new conference teams but the beef on the backline as well. So having a big kid that can put two Yetis on his back in the area and find a teammate crashing intrigues me. But I've always liked the idea of a big 9 that can attract double teams, hold and pass the ball effectively and make their own runs. Rare players. If he turns into that, then TU is going to see a bit of change in the attack and that should benefit our midfield shooters -- TU's bread and butter. But like I said, I've not seen him play and I don't know where he fits in. For all I know, the coaches plan on using him in some Kenny Cooper type role with diagonal runs out to the wings.

I've seen the keeper, De Silva, play a game down here in Florida. You like his ties to USSDA. So you know he has been vetted. But you don't really worry about TU and the keeper game. It is almost Goalkeeper U. McGuire was solid last year with a .99 GAA and has his own pedigree. If he is back, it will be tough for De Silva to see the pitch. The team can win with Hanat back there as well. Personally, the only thing I truly know about goalkeeping is telling them I will be available in the parking lot after the match if they don't stop shouting at me.

Kevin King's son was signed. Legacy. Soccer family. You figure he is solid between the ears and Coach will trust him with time.

That's about all I have to add right now on the signings. We've seen some real high profile guys come in the last couple of years and not really do as much as you might expect. Not busts, but not the contributors you thought they would be when you looked at their pedigree. I don't get that feeling from this group. The backline will have some holes next year and they will be filled with inexperienced players. King and Poppen can contribute if necessary. Nice signings.

This post was edited on 2/6 1:19 PM by HuffyCane

This post was edited on 2/8 5:32 PM by HuffyCane

I have seen the kid from OFC play a number of times. He can really take people on and is pretty good on set pieces.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT