ADVERTISEMENT

Tulane Had the highest ranked signing class: No Way!

Did you read who they picked up as transfers? So Sumrall recruited the way I'm hoping Wilson will get to. I imagine the pitch went something like this: "First, you're going to be in New Orleans. It's a giant party all year here. Second, we've got a really good football team coming back and as the CFP expands next season, we are in prime position to be the G5 qualifier. There's no one else in better position to be in the CFP than Tulane and you can be a vital key to that success."

I mean they pulled 3 former 5* players from the portal. That's sort of a big deal.

I throw former 5* players into the same bin as former 4* players, a mixed bag.

Reactions: Oak775
I throw former 5* players into the same bin as former 4* players, a mixed bag.
I get it. But we know Mario Williams can play and he's going to be a load for any team's CB to cover. The QB sat at Oregon because he was behind a 1st round NFL draft pick. I don't know much about the kid from Bama but I'm sure he has a lot of talent too and got mired behind some great players there and didn't want to try to prove himself under DeBoer (maybe a good or bad thing).

But I get it...those guys had things a little bit cushy at their previous stops and they probably won't have it was easy at Tulane or any G5 they've gone to. I like what Wilson did getting good HS players who are probably looking to improve their NIL worth after a couple of years here to cash in at a P5. They're going to come in hungry and working to get that immediate playing time.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I’m not specifically referring to this article, situation, or the school, paper, or individuals involved.

But when you see things in the paper that are nonsense or even just questionable or debatable, generally the reporter is being influenced by agents or school officials or both through access promises, perks or even straight up cash on their doorsteps in paper bags.

Dont let nonsense distract you from the overall.

And in this case, the overall is that Wilson has been successful doing what he has been told/what he thinks is needed to win. If he’s successful, especially in such a changing environment, that’s huge. If not, it’s going to be a huge step back for the school.

Whether some beat writer in a rival school’s town rates us or not matters not. Now if Athlon, Dave Campbell, On3, Rivals etc start all rating us in the bottom half with this class, then you have legitimate complaints.

Reactions: Oak775 and TU Sepp
I’m not specifically referring to this article, situation, or the school, paper, or individuals involved.

But when you see things in the paper that are nonsense or even just questionable or debatable, generally the reporter is being influenced by agents or school officials or both through access promises, perks or even straight up cash on their doorsteps in paper bags.

Dont let nonsense distract you from the overall.

And in this case, the overall is that Wilson has been successful doing what he has been told/what he thinks is needed to win. If he’s successful, especially in such a changing environment, that’s huge. If not, it’s going to be a huge step back for the school.

Whether some beat writer in a rival school’s town rates us or not matters not. Now if Athlon, Dave Campbell, On3, Rivals etc start all rating us in the bottom half with this class, then you have legitimate complaints.
You mean to tell me that local media CAN write positive-slanted articles on the local team?? That’s very interesting and unheard of in these parts.

It's getting very difficult to gauge the quality of classes with the transfer portal. Looks like Tulane really loaded up in the portal, but a 4 or 5-star kid that's riding the bench at another school clearly didn't live up to their rating. Wilson was successful in bringing in a great bunch of HS kids that we all hope will stick with the program and develop into studs. I wouldn't argue if it was said that KW and staff recruited the best HS class in the conference, nor would I be upset with the transfers he brought in. Those transfers clearly fit in to spots that coach think need immediate impact, and while they might not always be the shinny exciting recruit, they are the round peg that fits into the round hole. I believe there was a look back at the star ratings of players on NFL rosters that reflected that there were considerably more players that were rated 3-stars and below than those above when they came out of HS. Sure natural talent is required, but Hard Work Beats Talent when Talent Doesn't Work (see Texas football the last ten plus years prior to last season).

Wilson was successful in bringing in a great bunch of HS kids that we all hope will stick with the program and develop into studs. I wouldn't argue if it was said that KW and staff recruited the best HS class in the conference, nor
There wasn't much buzz on the final total of recruits (38) since discussion centered on the first 2 groups when signed and not so much the last 3 guys signed last week. But wow! All you have to do is read the bios of 27 HS kids signed and start drooling over the prospects of winning seasons to come. Each and every one had stellar HS careers. And for an HC & staff who are all about development of young players, our coaches have to be drooling over the raw material they have to work with.

Sure, there will be some NIL issues down the road. We got so many great HS prospects in part because so many schools went after transfers for immediate results and perhaps will find future success hard to come by or be at least very expensive. But this huge group of recruits plus last year's class will, IMO, be the start of a new golden era of TU football and I for one, can't wait.

Reactions: eastcane and Oak775
There wasn't much buzz on the final total of recruits (38) since discussion centered on the first 2 groups when signed and not so much the last 3 guys signed last week. But wow! All you have to do is read the bios of 27 HS kids signed and start drooling over the prospects of winning seasons to come. Each and every one had stellar HS careers. And for an HC & staff who are all about development of young players, our coaches have to be drooling over the raw material they have to work with.

Sure, there will be some NIL issues down the road. We got so many great HS prospects in part because so many schools went after transfers for immediate results and perhaps will find future success hard to come by or be at least very expensive. But this huge group of recruits plus last year's class will, IMO, be the start of a new golden era of TU football and I for one, can't wait.
Quincy….spot on! Great assessment.

Last edited:
It doesn't work that way anymore. You should know that by now.
Truth. You almost have to have kids ready to play when they arrive in August if you're going to see any benefit of your recruiting if you're recruiting HS kids.

Wonder if the coaches can send them a Spring/Summer workout regimen for before they arrive on campus?

According to KDub, 10 of our HS 27 signees are enrolled, although don't know which. This should take a small load off the minds of some. And with a couple exceptions, they all come from winning programs in top state districts.

I forgot about a 2nd running back signed in addition to Viron Ellison named Lloyd Avant, also a true freshman. All this kid did was run for over 2k yds. as a senior for a Tx. 5A team. And if worse comes to worse, we signed a kid named Issac Covington as a safety from Union. He also rushed for over 500 yds. According to the Tulsa World, he flat told our head coach that he would be the best RB in the group (if given the chance). And another HS safety signed who is tougher than nails that ran it at Poteau named Dax Collins. Add these to Bill Jackson and Tahj Gary who I think are still on the roster and it appears we are set at RB.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
According to KDub, 10 of our HS 27 signees are enrolled, although don't know which. This should take a small load off the minds of some. And with a couple exceptions, they all come from winning programs in top state districts.

I forgot about a 2nd running back signed in addition to Viron Ellison named Lloyd Avant, also a true freshman. All this kid did was run for over 2k yds. as a senior for a Tx. 5A team. And if worse comes to worse, we signed a kid named Issac Covington as a safety from Union. He also rushed for over 500 yds. According to the Tulsa World, he flat told our head coach that he would be the best RB in the group (if given the chance). And another HS safety signed who is tougher than nails that ran it at Poteau named Dax Collins. Add these to Bill Jackson and Tahj Gary who I think are still on the roster and it appears we are set at RB.
You didn't mention the best returning rb we have still on the roster, Watkins.

I can't remember which one but either Ellison or Avant were recruited primarily as a LB/Edge rusher. But most of the highlights we got on the kid showed him at RB and being nearly impossible to catch. And he was a BIG RB.

As for Covington...he was only used at RB in spot duty for Union when either of the regular backs were injured. The kid who transferred from Jenks and then Boston Carrasco. Covington, IMO, should have been used at RB more and in times Union should have been trying to run the clock out. He was a chain mover and I'm not sure I saw him run the ball for fewer than 5 yards on any of his carries. Union really screwed up in the state semifinals by trying to throw the ball downfield. Jenks was not able to stop Covington that night or any of the underneath pass stuff. He had a run in one of the late season games against a team on the west side of the state where he got hit in the backfield trying to get to the edge, broke that tackle, broke 2-3 more about 2 yds past the line of scrimmage, and then broke 4-5 more on his way to a 50 yd TD run. It was one of the most ridiculous things I saw this season. Covington has the speed to get to the edge and he's difficult to take down. The fact that Union only listed him at 5'10" was a shock to me because he looked to be 6'2 or above and about 225.

Reactions: quincy101
I can't remember which one but either Ellison or Avant were recruited primarily as a LB/Edge rusher. But most of the highlights we got on the kid showed him at RB and being nearly impossible to catch. And he was a BIG RB.

As for Covington...he was only used at RB in spot duty for Union when either of the regular backs were injured. The kid who transferred from Jenks and then Boston Carrasco. Covington, IMO, should have been used at RB more and in times Union should have been trying to run the clock out. He was a chain mover and I'm not sure I saw him run the ball for fewer than 5 yards on any of his carries. Union really screwed up in the state semifinals by trying to throw the ball downfield. Jenks was not able to stop Covington that night or any of the underneath pass stuff. He had a run in one of the late season games against a team on the west side of the state where he got hit in the backfield trying to get to the edge, broke that tackle, broke 2-3 more about 2 yds past the line of scrimmage, and then broke 4-5 more on his way to a 50 yd TD run. It was one of the most ridiculous things I saw this season. Covington has the speed to get to the edge and he's difficult to take down. The fact that Union only listed him at 5'10" was a shock to me because he looked to be 6'2 or above and about 225.
Do you mean recruited by us as a LB/edge rusher, or by other schools as an edge rusher.

Do you mean recruited by us as a LB/edge rusher, or by other schools as an edge rusher.
Us. One of the two mentioned in the 1st line was listed as a LB primarily in his recruiting profile but most of his highlights were as a RB. It may have been Ellison.

Us. One of the two mentioned in the 1st line was listed as a LB primarily in his recruiting profile but most of his highlights were as a RB. It may have been Ellison.
I think you are confused. Mayes was our recruiter for both. Both were listed as RB in just about every place I can remember, and I don't remember anything about LB/edge rusher mentioned. Ellison played safety and RB in HS, but never LB. They are both going to be at RB.(Avant & Ellison)

I think you have it backwards. Aquavious Dunbar played RB and LB in high school but was listed and recruited as LBer. Yes he will be at LB for us & was tall for a RB @6'2".

Last edited:
Reactions: TU_BLA and TU65alum
is red shirting obsolete?
I don’t think it’s obsolete but you play the year out and see where you are, they get to play in 4 games + bowl game and still retain a redshirt. KW talked at the end of the season presser about guys coming to him and saying I’ve played in 4 games but don’t play me anymore and let me redshirt for various reasons: portal or just another year to grow up

Spot on!

good morning TU faithful,

my post is off-topic but what the heck. I am an avid college football fan. Relocating to Tulsa and looking forward to signing the paperwork for my official Golden Hurricane fandom later this year. Ha.

I have a question - given the heavings of college football and the craziness of modern NIL, it seems obvious that programs like Tulsa are going to face a steep uphill battle to compete favorably (as coach Wilson shared comedically in one of his recent pressers). Has their been any discussion in Tulsa about TU "downshifting" to FCS division?

It seems obvious that TU would immediately go from middle-bottom tier program in D1 (not doggin Tulsa here just being clear-eyed about the pecking order). . . to an immediate upper echelon program in FCS.

When schools win (at any level) fans show up in greater numbers which equals more concessions, more merch, and most of all. . a more fun overall experience. IT TU athletic department is savvy could being a FCS power even be more financially beneficial than being a bottom mid in FBS?

Seems like its a calculation worth long consideration.

I dont post on forums like regularly this but wanted to get the insiders take. Are any of this discussion being had??

Go Golden Hurricane

Brian

Has their been any discussion in Tulsa about TU "downshifting" to FCS division?
Welcome! We have somewhat already downgraded by the move out of our big dogs from the AAC and the move in of replacements from C-USA. With Kevin Wilson as HC, we will soon (maybe not this season) but soon begin to dominate the revised AAC.

The timing of you becoming a TU football fan could not be better. Enjoy!

Welcome! We have somewhat already downgraded by the move out of our big dogs from the AAC and the move in of replacements from C-USA. With Kevin Wilson as HC, we will soon (maybe not this season) but soon begin to dominate the revised AAC.

The timing of you becoming a TU football fan could not be better. Enjoy!

Maybe so, but his first post wasn't the best way to enter. Asking if we were considering downgrading to d2, instead of just following the board for a little while, is not a good way to ingratiate yourself with our fanbase.

He seems like he is coming here from being a life long tOSU fan or something, and he considers our program < than. Of course he couldn't be an OSU fan, or he would have displayed a little more knowledge about KW. Maybe he is a temporary Texas transplant. Saying he doesn't post on forums much, seems like he is a troll.

Reactions: HuffyCane
They’ve had pros run the numbers on these scenarios several times.

Tulsa is relevant for football because it is in the highest classification of football.

By virtue of being in the highest classification of football, sufficient funding for other sports allows us to diversify the student body and educate students that would not otherwise receive an education.

The comment about increased attendance and increased concession seems intuitive but misplaced. The opposite would be true. Fan interest has been projected to plummet if we were to drop a classification. If you don’t think people come to watch us lose to Charlotte wait and see what happens if we drop 4 home games to Central Arkansas etc.

There is no guarantee we could competitively recruit against the Tarleton States and Kansas JUCOs as well, so any thoughts on increased wins is at best speculative and you are taking a risk in the tens of millions of dollars.

I could go on, but TU is an FBS school or a Div III in sports where students essentially self fund not only their education but also their sport.

Division III is highly disfavored. The polls are a little old and pre covid but admitted students chose TU in part because we have large classification football. They don’t go to the games or care about football, but they do view having FBS football as enhancing the value of their degree. Which they do care about. More over, students polled on why they didn’t choose TU almost exclusively went to schools with FBS football.

Tulsa is not alone in being concerned about what playoff consolidation may do to admissions. And schools that aren’t should be.

FWIW Idaho tried what you are talking about for the reasons you describe. They are coming back up. Draw your own conclusions.

Last edited:

Tulsa is relevant for football because it is in the highest classification of football.

By virtue of being in the highest classification of football, sufficient funding for other sports allows us to diversify the student body and educate students that would not otherwise receive an education.

The comment about increased attendance and increased concession seems intuitive but misplaced. The opposite would be true. Fan interest has been projected to plummet if we were to drop a classification. If you don’t think people come to watch us lose to Charlotte wait and see what happens if we drop 4 home games to Central Arkansas etc.

There is no guarantee we could competitively recruit against the Tarleton States and Kansas JUCOs as well, so any thoughts on increased wins is at best speculative and you are taking a risk in the tens of millions of dollars.

I could go on, but TU is an FBS school or a Div III in sports where students essentially self fund not only their education but also their sport.

Division III is highly disfavored. The polls are a little old and pre covid but admitted students chose TU in part because we have large classification football. They don’t go to the games or care about football, but they do view having FBS football as enhancing the value of their degree. Which they do care about. More over, students polled on why they didn’t choose TU almost exclusively went to schools with FBS football.

Tulsa is not alone in being concerned about what playoff consolidation may do to admissions. And schools that aren’t should be.

FWIW Idaho tried what you are talking about for the reasons you describe. They are coming back up. Draw your own conclusions.
Nobody likes failure and dropping to FCS would be viewed as failure.

Now on the other hand if the Alabamas decide to drop the student from student athlete I am in favor of avoiding that type of game. I bet Notre Dame will feel that way too.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane

very insightful, thank you.

Reactions: caneks
Maybe so, but his first post wasn't the best way to enter. Asking if we were considering downgrading to d2, instead of just following the board for a little while, is not a good way to ingratiate yourself with our fanbase.

He seems like he is coming here from being a life long tOSU fan or something, and he considers our program < than. Of course he couldn't be an OSU fan, or he would have displayed a little more knowledge about KW. Maybe he is a temporary Texas transplant. Saying he doesn't post on forums much, seems like he is a troll.
Definitely wasn't intending to to be a troll. And I do see how that might've been off-putting as a first post. Apologies. Not my intention to rile up passionate fans. Realistically, I 'm just a big football fan who is a prospective future season ticket holder in Tulsa. Irrespective of Tulsa football, I don't enjoy the way college football is evolving at the FBS level so maybe my question was a bit biased from the outset. I'm 50 years old, so I have to acknowledge probably a bit old school and nostalgic, but as a sports consumer with choices I'm actually more excited to get out and watch a college football product that isnt completely driven by NIL. I know coach Wilson has been outspoken about that at Tulsa but it doesnt take nostradamus to predict that FBS top tier will the be NIL heavyweights in the years ahead. I know FCS has NIL too but won't be the same scale. Maybe I'll find a local DIII to adopt (to the other poster's comment on self-funded athletes)

Thanks all for the input.

Going to our games is like stepping back in time.

Bring your family or a date. We have the best tailgate set up in the state. OU officials admitted publicly they will study it with an aim to copy some of it.

Nobody likes failure and dropping to FCS would be viewed as failure.

Now on the other hand if the Alabamas decide to drop the student from student athlete I am in favor of avoiding that type of game. I bet Notre Dame will feel that way too.
Yeah. Of course. I didn’t even begin to address what senior boosters and city fathers would do if we dropped football. Especially the city poobahs. They like having OU and OSU in town every year and they like the stadium in the Chamber of Commerce brochure. We just have to get to that tipping point that Idaho suffered where nobody would support Boise publicly in town until like 2003. Then it became cool to back the local team and not the state team that had all the winning history. Had a lot to do with the logo and some innovative promotions. Things we keep tripping over.

Definitely wasn't intending to to be a troll. And I do see how that might've been off-putting as a first post. Apologies. Not my intention to rile up passionate fans. Realistically, I 'm just a big football fan who is a prospective future season ticket holder in Tulsa. Irrespective of Tulsa football, I don't enjoy the way college football is evolving at the FBS level so maybe my question was a bit biased from the outset. I'm 50 years old, so I have to acknowledge probably a bit old school and nostalgic, but as a sports consumer with choices I'm actually more excited to get out and watch a college football product that isnt completely driven by NIL. I know coach Wilson has been outspoken about that at Tulsa but it doesnt take nostradamus to predict that FBS top tier will the be NIL heavyweights in the years ahead. I know FCS has NIL too but won't be the same scale. Maybe I'll find a local DIII to adopt (to the other poster's comment on self-funded athletes)

Thanks all for the input.
Give us a try, and you'll be happy that you did. The game day environment is great leading up to the game, and far better put together than our P5 brethren of the state or the state to the east. You can make an outing of the pregame festivities and feel like you had a great outing before you ever hit the stadium gates. Our folks are friendly, the food is top notch at the tailgates, the beer is cold, and there's loads of quality entertainment to engage you and the family.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT