ADVERTISEMENT

1st losing record since Phillips 9 win season his last

Frank will say I whipped Nsu and Southwest Christian prep we should get an at large lol
Frank and staff hinged their season hopes on two big time flops....KES and Haywood.

I believe KES is salvageable but I’ve never seen a player with such a dour expression
on his face as Haywood .
Also Rey Idowu was a big no-show for most of the season . Add it all up and now we’re
bottom feeders.

Frank and staff hinged their season hopes on two big time flops....KES and Haywood.

I believe KES is salvageable but I’ve never seen a player with such a dour expression
on his face as Haywood .
Also Rey Idowu was a big no-show for most of the season . Add it all up and now we’re
bottom feeders.
And, now we likely get to replace 3 of our most productive players as well as a handful of role players who won’t have their ships renewed or will voluntarily go somewhere else.

It's actually the third losing season since Phillips second 9-win season.

TU went 11-17 in Wojcik's first season (2005-06) and 15-17 in Haith's third season (2016-17).
It definitely shows you how special Manning’s rebuild was in 2012. Lost all of the previous team’s star players and returned only two legit upperclassmen. (Peete and Haralson) did inherit some good signees in Woodard and Wright, but he certainly filled out the roster with good players (Harrison, Ray, Kauri Black, Swilling) he also did a good job of making Swannegan serviceable as a RS freshman and he dealt well with multiple injuries to forwards (Maduka had the heart attack before the season, Zeldric King missed significant time as did Swannegan both with foot injuries and Rashad Smith missed almost the entire season with a foot injury)

He did better with a roster hastily thrown together his first summer and dealing with a ton of injuries than Haith did with 5 years of planning and multiple top 150 recruits. And that was against a conference that still had Memphis, UCF, Houston, SMU, Tulane, and it was back when UTEP and ECU were better than average.

Would we take Manning back? It would save us needing to buyout someone else’s contract at another school.

Reactions: libertychamp
It definitely shows you how special Manning’s rebuild was in 2012. Lost all of the previous team’s star players and returned only two legit upperclassmen. (Peete and Haralson) did inherit some good signees in Woodard and Wright, but he certainly filled out the roster with good players (Harrison, Ray, Kauri Black, Swilling) he also did a good job of making Swannegan serviceable as a RS freshman and he dealt well with multiple injuries to forwards (Maduka had the heart attack before the season, Zeldric King missed significant time as did Swannegan both with foot injuries and Rashad Smith missed almost the entire season with a foot injury)

He did better with a roster hastily thrown together his first summer and dealing with a ton of injuries than Haith did with 5 years of planning and multiple top 150 recruits. And that was against a conference that still had Memphis, UCF, Houston, SMU, Tulane, and it was back when UTEP and ECU were better than average.

Would we take Manning back? It would save us needing to buyout someone else’s contract at another school.
I would be stunned if we did but you never know. I’m kind of afraid they are going to keep Haith.

Absolutely not. He hated it at Tulsa and was vocal about it.
To whom? Also, maybe getting his teeth kicked in with the AAC big boys might have altered his perspective a bit. It’s not like spending 12(?) Seasons in Lawrence is that much more special in terms of a destination city than Tulsa is. Wake isn’t much different either in terms of being a small school with tough academics. I think he might be happy to be back as a head coach at the place where he had success. I don’t care if he hates half the administration. He’s probably right to. Most of us do right now lol.

If it means more teams like the ones with Shaq and Woodard, I’d take it in a heartbeat

Last edited:
Myself, his coaching staff, other coaches around the country. He constantly complained about what he called the "recruiting restrictions" at Tulsa, among other things. Several assistants at other programs told me they saw Danny at the airport or out recruiting, and he talked about how he wanted to get out of Tulsa as quickly as he could.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
It's actually the third losing season since Phillips second 9-win season.

TU went 11-17 in Wojcik's first season (2005-06) and 15-17 in Haith's third season (2016-17).

Haith has had more losing seasons now than Wojcik or JD Barnett and is tied with John Phillips.

I met a lot of coaches while helping run a high school booster club a few years back, and he was by far the least interested in that aspect of his job. Parents don’t want to send their kids off to play for a coach who seems bored by the recruiting process.

Myself, his coaching staff, other coaches around the country. He constantly complained about what he called the "recruiting restrictions" at Tulsa, among other things. Several assistants at other programs told me they saw Danny at the airport or out recruiting, and he talked about how he wanted to get out of Tulsa as quickly as he could.
He was probably pissed about things like his highly rated transfer recruit from Auburn literally being at TU, enrolled, and then not being allowed to be on scholarship. Haith had a similar problem with his kid from Wichita State (via juco) this season. Seems like a legitimate gripe at times.... though I do appreciate the school having some sort of standards sometimes.

In any case I think his experience at Wake might have been humbling. For an ex college superstar player who also had tons of success as an assistant, he might have had bigger aspirations... but I’m not sure what sorts of opportunities he will have that are better than us after Wake. Kinda reminds me of Leatao going back to DePaul.

Last edited:
He was probably pissed about things like his really good transfer recruit from Auburn literally being at TU, enrolled, and then not being allowed to be on scholarship. Haith had a similar problem with his kid from Wichita State (via juco) this season. Seems like a legitimate gripe at times.... though I do appreciate the school having some sort of standards sometimes.

In any case I think his experience at Wake might have been humbling. For an ex college superstar player who also had tons of success as an assistant, he might have had bigger aspirations... but I’m not sure what sorts of opportunities he will have that are better than us after Wake. Kinda reminds me of Leatao going back to DePaul.

Always found it odd when TU denies a transfer of a player from a school ranked academically higher than TU. 🤷‍♂️

He's currently interested in the AD job at Kansas.

Kansas needs to find someone to fix their football mess before the next round of potential realignment and Manning is probably not the guy for that.

The Jayhawks were very close to being left without a conference home had the Big 12 folded a few years back.

He's currently interested in the AD job at Kansas.

Always was a KU guy. Got annoying after a while. I agree with Babe. As long as self is going to stay there and the NCAA ignores them, they need a someone who can do something about football.

When I think of rebuilding football, I think Danny Manning.

Hell, no.

He was probably pissed about things like his highly rated transfer recruit from Auburn literally being at TU, enrolled, and then not being allowed to be on scholarship. Haith had a similar problem with his kid from Wichita State (via juco) this season. Seems like a legitimate gripe at times.... though I do appreciate the school having some sort of standards sometimes.

Romancing the stone bout ex crappy coaches ain't a good deflect from your opinion on Haith.

Why don't u just beg out on coaching candidates.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT