ADVERTISEMENT

1982 Football team--Classic Moment

Cooper was a genuinely funny guy. In the years I've followed TU football, the three best teams IMO have been 1964, 1982 and 1991. 2008 and 2012 were pretty close too.

Cooper was a genuinely funny guy. In the years I've followed TU football, the three best teams IMO have been 1964, 1982 and 1991. 2008 and 2012 were pretty close too.

I would add the 78 and 83 teams to the mix.

The 78 team was 9-2 coming off of a 3-8 year in 77. They played and won a number of close games to turn the Cooper era around. Beat K St, (at) Va Tech, Louisville and (at) Cincinnati. The two losses were to number 2 Arkansas by 8 points in a game that was filled with typical Fayetteville calls. The other loss was a fluke game at NM St (by 3) on a field that the grass was sparse and very sandy that took away the TU speed advantage.

The 83 team was 8-3 with a loss to ranked (at) OU, TU really played well in the second half. The other losses were (at) Arkansas (by 3) and (at) OSU (by 9). They beat SD St and gave Texas Tech their worse home loss to that point. Bobby Booker ran wild at TT.

Last edited:
Completely agree with the 78 team. That's the team that really sealed this fifth grader's love of TU football (and the University in general).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT