ADVERTISEMENT

TU #195 US News 2024 rankings.

Most of the issue with these smart Union kids is they all want to experience something outside the Tulsa bubble. They also are driven somewhat by the political climate in the state. These are the kids when Ryan Walters scream kids shouldn't be reading this book or that book run to the nearest book store to grab it. I know at least in part, my son wanted not to be in Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, or Missouri. I really wanted him to apply to Arkansas and Mizzou. No dice. He knows TU is a good school and has a great engineering school. He's worked with LoPresti some and knows he could get a great education there with plenty of options for after undergrad. These kids want to experience different parts of the world and they can't do that in Tulsa. I finally understand why local athletes like to choose other locations that may be comparable basketball or football programs even though Tulsa is the superior school overall.

And TU did give my son the most $ so far, but my son also has a grandmother who may have told him she'll pay for where he wants to go. I don't know for sure because I wasn't in the room where it happened.

As for TU getting to matriculating classes of 1000 or so, that's great. I'm not so worried about the housing situation for a while. There are plenty of students who want to move off campus as soon as they can because it's a cheaper option. Instead of a 2 yr requirement they could move to 1. John and Lottie hold about 250 students each, Twin West holds about 120 (used to be 180). Twin South has a capacity of about 180 but that building needs to be razed and rebuilt. LaFortune can hold about 160. I don't know what the newest residence hall holds, maybe 200? Before it was built you had a residence hall capacity of about 1200. I would think it's close to that still. I'm trying to remember what USA apartments held. I feel like I hade about 700 residents in the 3 areas. I think the new apartments hold slightly more than that so maybe 1500 total spaces assuming everyone is in a single bedroom in the apts. Sorority row holds 180 students (30 per house, 6 houses). No one really knows what the capacity of fraternity row is. Maybe assume roughly the same. Between all on campus housing options, you have roughly 3000 spaces give or take a few based on room reconfigurations that have occurred since I worked there. Assuming TU is able to raise its UG population to about 4500 through all of these increases in admissions, you are still in good shape guaranteeing about 67% of UG students a space on campus. Right now there is a good number of grad students who take up apartment space. The question would be where would TU put additional housing? There's not much space left. At one point there was talk of expanding Twin to 6 floors. The building was built such that they could if they ever got to that point. Don't think that would be economically feasible any longer given the age of the building. You might as well do the Vegas business mod, tear down Twin South and build a 6-8 story high rise and double the capacity. That doesn't get you a ton more capacity though.
Hardesty Hall holds 300. There’s plenty of space and a ten year master plan. Your figures depend upon double occupancy. Which is out of favor post CoVid. If they get to 4000, they will likely repurpose Fisher and build elsewhere. They know where and how. Your expertise is helpful, but 20 years dated. You’re an old dude, dude.

None of the NMSFs from Union are going to TU despite the free ride offer. As far as my son is aware, the majority are going to other schools and paying some to do so. Only 1 he is aware that is going to a top school on their dime. She got into Duke and is a QuestBridge scholar.

He mentioned 1 of the kids in his group did not get accepted to any of the top flight schools despite being maybe the smartest kid in the class. They suspect it's because of the major he wanted to do, Computer Science, being so in demand that schools just aren't taking as many in the past. My son has also heard some of the those schools are including an encouragement to apply as a transfer student in a year when they would anticipate having spots in those programs after 1 yr departures. Again, some weird college admissions stuff going on.

Right now my son is between WPI, Tufts, and Michigan. He takes some solace knowing he got into Tufts which had a lower acceptance rate than even Duke this year.

He also showed me a post someone had made. It showed the applicant as waitlisted at UCLA, UCSB, UCI, UCSD and Clay Poly SLO, but accepted to UC Berkeley and the kid couldn't make sense of it.

And none of his peer group got accepted to Stanford.
I got my Ph.D. from UC-San Diego, and while it is the one most have never heard of (No D1 sports is probably why), it is one of the best schools in the country bar none.

The UCs are weird though. If you are a California resident, you get preferential acceptance to your "home" University. That is, if you live in San Diego and you apply yo UCLA, UC-Berkeley,, and UCSD, you'll get into UCSD before you get into the other schools. You will also pay a lot more if you want to leave your "home" University.

So a lot of regular kids just go to the school that is closest to them because that is what is cheap and easy. Similar to OU (I think OU works this way, anyway), you are guaratneed a spot if it is your home school and you make a certain GPA and test score. It can make the acceptance rate appear deceptively high and can make the number of "at large" spots pretty small. But it can have some variance from year to year.

2024 NCAA Tournament

I want anyone other than UCONN, but with Houston’s loss, I don’t know who can take them out.
Purdue can. There seems to be a huge conspiracy to get Eddy a title. How he doesn't foul out of every game is just mind boggling. The number of times he goes through players to grab rebounds he should foul out in five minutes played. Tennessee didn't stand a chance in that game with the lopsided way the refs were calling it. Hopefully Rick Barnes laid into the officiating in the post game. Just brutal.

Also congrats to NC State on the men's and women's side, both going to their respective Final Fours. The men have now won 9 straight games and they just took down ACC and Research Triangle rival Duke. I'm pretty sure someone is going to turn the whiny Kyle Filipowski face into a meme soon. My son was rooting for NC State (IYKYK).

Local HS Soccer

The 10-0 rule in high school is absurd. It needs to be like 7.

That is an awful score line for a Dallas cup game. Blitz needs something to right the crap hole that is at the top going on the boys side right now. The results they have going on are god awful so maybe they offered better money and less travel.
7 would be fine by me. As long as it's the 2nd half when you end it.

I'm sure Tony knows Derek Larkin pretty well. Tony's a good guy and I always wanted my son to play for him at TSC. He didn't come into the age group until my son had left for Blitz though. Tony and I worked together at ORU for a long time.

2024 Transfer Portal

NameYearPositionTeam LeavingTeam going to
Igor Milicic Jr.JuniorSFCharlotte
Dishon JacksonSophomoreCenterCharlotteIowa State
Jackson ThreadgillJuniorSGCharlotte
Daylen BerrySophomoreSGCharlotte
Iaroslav NiaguSophomoreCenterCharlotte
Sterling YoungJuniorPGCharlotte
Benjamin BayelaSeniorSGEast Carolina
Ta'Korrie FaisonFreshmanSFEast Carolina
Jaden WalkerJuniorSGEast Carolina
Bobby PettifordJuniorPGEast Carolina
Kalib LacountSophomorePGEast Carolina
Brandon JohnsonJuniorPFEast Carolina
Javonte TaylorFreshmanSFMemphis
Jayhlon YoungJuniorPGMemphis
Mikey WilliamsFreshmanPGMemphisUCF
Jonathan PierreJuniorSGMemphis
Jason EdwardsSophomorePGNorth Texas
Christian MooreSophomorePGNorth Texas
Chris MorganSophomorePFNorth Texas
Cameron SheffieldJuniorSFRice
Keanu DawesFreshmanPFRice
Mekhi MasonSophomoreSGRice
Alem HuseinovicJuniorSGRice
Anthony SeldonJuniorSGRice
Andrew AkuchieSophomorePFRice
Camp WagnerFreshmanSGRice
Gabe WarrenFreshmanSGRice
Sam HinesJuniorSFSouth Florida
Gerald JonesSophomoreCenterSouth Florida
Taj ThweattJuniorSFTemple
Deuce RobertsFreshmanSGTemple
Emmanuel OkpomoJuniorCenterTemple
Max BowmanSophomorePGTulane
Kolby KingSophomorePGTulane
Mier PanoamFreshmanPGTulane
Chauncey GibsonFreshmanSGTulsa
Jared HallFreshmanSFTulsa
PJ HaggertyFreshmanPGTulsa
Carlous WilliamsJuniorSFTulsa
Barry DunningSophomoreSGUAB
Daniel OrtizJuniorPGUAB
James WhiteJuniorSGUAB
Christian TuckerJuniorPGUTSA
Jordan Ivy-CurryJuniorPGUTSA
Trey Edmonds IIIJuniorCenterUTSA
Chandler CuthrellJuniorPFUTSA
Massal DioufSophomorePFUTSA
Adante HolimanSophomorePGUTSA
Isaac AbiddeSophomorePFWichita State
Jalen RicksSophomoreSGWichita State
Kenny PohtoJuniorCenterWichita State
Colby RogersJuniorSGWichita State
Trevor McBrideFreshmanPGWichita State
Oklahoma Schools​
John HugleyJuniorPFOklahoma
Otega OwehSophomoreSGOklahoma
Brandon GarrisonFreshmanCenterOklahoma State
Eric DaileyFreshmanSFOklahoma State
Naz BrownSophomorePGOklahoma State
Javon SmallJuniorPGOklahoma State
Cam AmboreeSophomorePGORU
Jailen BedfordJuniorSGORU
Trey PhippsJuniorPGORU
Demari WilliamsSophomoreSGORU
Isaac McBrideJuniorPGORU
Elijah LawrenceSophomorePGORU
Jake ShannonJuniorSGORU
Ashton SmithSophomorePFORU
Why the bolding?

Most of the issue with these smart Union kids is they all want to experience something outside the Tulsa bubble. They also are driven somewhat by the political climate in the state. These are the kids when Ryan Walters scream kids shouldn't be reading this book or that book run to the nearest book store to grab it. I know at least in part, my son wanted not to be in Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, or Missouri. I really wanted him to apply to Arkansas and Mizzou. No dice. He knows TU is a good school and has a great engineering school. He's worked with LoPresti some and knows he could get a great education there with plenty of options for after undergrad. These kids want to experience different parts of the world and they can't do that in Tulsa. I finally understand why local athletes like to choose other locations that may be comparable basketball or football programs even though Tulsa is the superior school overall.

And TU did give my son the most $ so far, but my son also has a grandmother who may have told him she'll pay for where he wants to go. I don't know for sure because I wasn't in the room where it happened.

As for TU getting to matriculating classes of 1000 or so, that's great. I'm not so worried about the housing situation for a while. There are plenty of students who want to move off campus as soon as they can because it's a cheaper option. Instead of a 2 yr requirement they could move to 1. John and Lottie hold about 250 students each, Twin West holds about 120 (used to be 180). Twin South has a capacity of about 180 but that building needs to be razed and rebuilt. LaFortune can hold about 160. I don't know what the newest residence hall holds, maybe 200? Before it was built you had a residence hall capacity of about 1200. I would think it's close to that still. I'm trying to remember what USA apartments held. I feel like I hade about 700 residents in the 3 areas. I think the new apartments hold slightly more than that so maybe 1500 total spaces assuming everyone is in a single bedroom in the apts. Sorority row holds 180 students (30 per house, 6 houses). No one really knows what the capacity of fraternity row is. Maybe assume roughly the same. Between all on campus housing options, you have roughly 3000 spaces give or take a few based on room reconfigurations that have occurred since I worked there. Assuming TU is able to raise its UG population to about 4500 through all of these increases in admissions, you are still in good shape guaranteeing about 67% of UG students a space on campus. Right now there is a good number of grad students who take up apartment space. The question would be where would TU put additional housing? There's not much space left. At one point there was talk of expanding Twin to 6 floors. The building was built such that they could if they ever got to that point. Don't think that would be economically feasible any longer given the age of the building. You might as well do the Vegas business mod, tear down Twin South and build a 6-8 story high rise and double the capacity. That doesn't get you a ton more capacity though.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT