ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Dickson

CaneHT

I.T.S. Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 28, 2023
Rant time while watching one of the most embarrassing losses in recent memory:

The football coaches Rick Dickson hired during his tenure as AD at Tulane (Bob Toledo, Mark Hutson and Curtis Johnson) and had a combined record of 30-102 (.227). Tulane was one of the absolute worst programs in the country during his tenure. After Dickson left Tulane in 2015/2016, his successor (Troy Dannen) immediately hired Willie Fritz and I think we all know how that has worked out for them.

Dickson’s first big decision during his second stint as AD here was to hire a 62 year old retread HC in Wilson who had middling success during his only other head coaching stint at Indiana and ultimately ended up with a 26-47 overall record there before being fired. Wilson had success as co-OC at Ohio State, but that was an offense loaded with 5-star talent. To make matters worse, Dickson passed on hiring GJ Kinne, who’s an alum who expressed interest in the job and who now has more wins at TXST than they had all of last season and has put together the best recruiting class in TXST history.

Dickson is nearly 70 and fortunately his contract is up in 2024 but I pray he retires and we do not try to extend him. Maybe Wilson will surprise me and turn things around next season but I have zero faith that’ll happen based on Dickson’s track record of head coaching hires. I agree that it was time to move on from Montgomery, but at least he made the most of his low-ranked recruiting classes (produced 2 first-round picks) and had us in bowl contention nearly every season he was here. There’s a very good chance Dickson just set us back years with this hire. Future looks extremely bleak right now.

Last edited:
It's amazing how Tulsa has made 5 of the worst hires ever in recent history. We have an amazing track record on this.(sarcasm) Love how this is determined in the first season of a hire. Don't stop the world, I'll melt with you. We are the best at melting. Maybe we can play OU again next week, and melt even better. If you have never joined the board, we'd love to hear your 2 cents when you decide to melt over the coach.

It's amazing how Tulsa has made 5 of the worst hires ever in recent history. We have an amazing track record on this.(sarcasm) Love how this is determined in the first season of a hire. Don't stop the world, I'll melt with you. We are the best at melting. Maybe we can play OU again next week, and melt even better. If you have never joined the board, we'd love to hear your 2 cents when you decide to melt over the coach.
You should probably write “melt” one more time.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
G$$$ always cries when people don't like people he likes.
I don't cry over people I like not being liked. It just bothers me when people crucify a coach we hired when he doesn't yet deserve it. He is barely halfway through his first season. It isn't the end of times for our program, because we lose a game or a season isn't going as planned. And it really irks me that someone joins the board to bitch and moan about a coach, when they haven't had anything positive to say about anything. I don't like it when people are only on here to tear down players, coaches, and the sports program in general. If you don't have anything constructive to say...

Reactions: Lumpuckeroo
I don't cry over people I like not being liked. It just bothers me when people crucify a coach we hired when he doesn't yet deserve it. He is barely halfway through his first season. It isn't the end of times for our program, because we lose a game or a season isn't going as planned. And it really irks me that someone joins the board to bitch and moan about a coach, when they haven't had anything positive to say about anything. I don't like it when people are only on here to tear down players, coaches, and the sports program in general. If you don't have anything constructive to say...
You're the KING of having nothing constructive to say... You pathetic hypocrite

• Haha
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Would've been nice to see Kinne given a shot. Had high hopes for Wilson... He's too passive and gloomy for my taste. Show some damn emotion (and lose 50 lbs).

Reactions: CaneHT
Sounds like you’re having quite the “melt” down

Considering that Wilson was stuck with most of Monty’s players along with the disciplinary problems of his regime I think the season is progressing about as I expected.

Reactions: eastcane
This is a day to go offline or head to the Alley.

The last two games have made it clear we are not good but definitely better with Williams starting and playing most of the minutes. This surprised me.

Reactions: 4tu2
I agree that it was time to move on from Montgomery, but at least he made the most of his low-ranked recruiting classes (produced 2 first-round picks) and had us in bowl contention nearly every season he was here.
Congratulations, you made it 3.5 paragraphs into your posting career before destroying any credibility you might have had. Monty had 2 teams out of 8 that ended the regular season with a winning record. He had a winning conference record 3 years out of 8. He was a bad coach.

Reactions: TulsaAM and TU1NNJ
Wilson is having to endure the montgomery recruits who we all know are not what he recruits. Just get rid of some of these upper classmen and get going.

Reactions: okie51 and TulsaAM
Congratulations, you made it 3.5 paragraphs into your posting career before destroying any credibility you might have had. Monty had 2 teams out of 8 that ended the regular season with a winning record. He had a winning conference record 3 years out of 8. He was a bad coach.
He went to 4 bowl games and had us in contention for a 5th last season. So 5 out of 8 seasons he was here he had us in contention for a bowl game. Do you know what “contention” means? I also truly don’t care about my credibility—I care about the fact Rick Dickson has zero credibility when it comes to coaching hires considering every coach he’s hired has been atrocious. Let’s hope he finally got one right this time. If Wilson pans out I’m all for it.

I'd love to see Huffy's response to this thread, though I'm pretty sure that he's smarter or at least more strategic than that. Unless of course the proverbial worm has turned with the powers who be but I suspect it's too soon for that.

He went to 4 bowl games and had us in contention for a 5th last season. So 5 out of 8 seasons he was here he had us in contention for a bowl game. Do you know what “contention” means? I also truly don’t care about my credibility—I care about the fact Rick Dickson has zero credibility when it comes to coaching hires considering every coach he’s hired has been atrocious. Let’s hope he finally got one right this time. If Wilson pans out I’m all for it.
It's highly likely that KW will get us to 5 wins this season, which is a success according to you bc he'd be "in contention" for a bowl, only 1 FG against FAU from making it. So I'm not sure what your point is about Monty vs. KW if KW is doing the same as Monty (actually better %-wise)? I don't know if KW will be successful but I think it's highly likely that he'll be better than Monty, for what that's worth.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
It's highly likely that KW will get us to 5 wins this season, which is a success according to you bc he'd be "in contention" for a bowl, only 1 FG against FAU from making it. So I'm not sure what your point is about Monty vs. KW if KW is doing the same as Monty (actually better %-wise)? I don't know if KW will be successful but I think it's highly likely that he'll be better than Monty, for what that's worth.
Go re-read the title of my post and maybe that’ll help you out - the point of this post is that Dickson has an atrocious hiring track record so why should we trust he made a good hire this time? As I clearly mentioned in my original post, it was time to move on from Monty, but if we’re just going to get the same garbage from KW then what was the point? I’ll be ecstatic if KW works out but, for the reasons I mention above, I don’t have much faith.

Go re-read the title of my post and maybe that’ll help you out - the point of this post is that Dickson has an atrocious hiring track record so why should we trust he made a good hire this time? As I clearly mentioned in my original post, it was time to move on from Monty, but if we’re just going to get the same garbage from KW then what was the point? I’ll be ecstatic if KW works out but, for the reasons I mention above, I don’t have much faith.
Montgomery left Wilson an absolutely crap sandwich to fix, why is this hard for you to understand? Have you seen Montgomery's recruiting rankings v Wilson's FIRST CLASS? Do you people just intentionally ignore things like this? Good gawd you're making my brain hurt.

Montgomery left Wilson an absolutely crap sandwich to fix, why is this hard for you to understand? Have you seen Montgomery's recruiting rankings v Wilson's FIRST CLASS? Do you people just intentionally ignore things like this? Good gawd you're making my brain hurt.
Holy hell. How many times do I have to repeat myself...Rick Dickson has strictly hired terrible coaches in the past but we're supposed to just trust he finally made a good hire this time? That is quite literally the ENTIRE point of this post. How is this hard for YOU to understand? I have a feeling I know why your brain hurts and it's probably due to your lack of reading comprehension.

Last edited:
Reactions: TulsaFan2000
Holy hell. How many times do I have to repeat myself...Rick Dickson has strictly hired terrible coaches in the past but we're supposed to just trust he finally made a good hire this time? That is quite literally the ENTIRE point of this post. How is this hard for YOU to understand? I have a feeling I know why your brain hurts and it's probably due to your lack of reading comprehension.
Thanks for your post, Monty. Don’t you have some “offensive” coordinating to do?

Reactions: Bill Lowery
Thanks for your post, Monty. Don’t you have some “offensive” coordinating to do?
Lol. Monty sucked but your man-crush KW also sucks and will likely continue to do so. We had an opportunity to reshape the program after canning Monty but instead hired a 62 year old retread. Is this Rick Dickson’s burner account??

Last edited:
Ugh, this board is dead for 5 out of 7 days on game week. Then someone new comes on with an opinion and he/she is run down. Sad. So what if they disagree or their first post is negative. Been on the internet much? I dont post much on here for that very reason. No need to have my opinion beat down by the 7 posters on this board. I hope CaneHT is wrong but it sure doesnt look like it. Yeah yeah, not his players etc. This is a new era of college football with the portal. TU should be competitive. With Monty's players or not. They have quit on KW and that is very troubling halfway through the first year.

Ugh, this board is dead for 5 out of 7 days on game week. Then someone new comes on with an opinion and he/she is run down. Sad. So what if they disagree or their first post is negative. Been on the internet much? I dont post much on here for that very reason. No need to have my opinion beat down by the 7 posters on this board. I hope CaneHT is wrong but it sure doesnt look like it. Yeah yeah, not his players etc. This is a new era of college football with the portal. TU should be competitive. With Monty's players or not. They have quit on KW and that is very troubling halfway through the first year.
LOL, I have a strong allergic reaction to anyone defending Monty.

But I don't disagree with his take on Rick. As I mentioned in a prior post for which I was pilloried, I believe there is more smoke here than we see, and where there's smoke...

More (well, at least slightly) intelligent discussion on the pay board.

LOL, I have a strong allergic reaction to anyone defending Monty.

But I don't disagree with his take on Rick. As I mentioned in a prior post for which I was pilloried, I believe there is more smoke here than we see, and where there's smoke...
Really not sure how so many of y'all misconstrued this post as a defense of Monty. I guess I should've left any comparisons to Monty out of my original post but I thought the intent of my post was pretty clear. To be as clear as day - I am VERY glad we fired Monty. I just have some big time reservations about KW and think Rick Dickson is a joke. It's still extremely early and I could be very wrong here, which I would gladly welcome. But my faith Rick Dickson finally got one right is very low.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Really not sure how so many of y'all misconstrued this post as a defense of Monty. I guess I should've left any comparisons to Monty out of my original post but I thought the intent of my post was pretty clear. To be as clear as day - I am VERY glad we fired Monty. I just have some big time reservations about KW and think Rick Dickson is a joke. It's still extremely early and I could be very wrong here, which I would gladly welcome. But my faith Rick Dickson finally got one right is very low.
So you think Konkol is a joke too? Is this correct?

This is a day to go offline or head to the Alley.

The last two games have made it clear we are not good but definitely better with Williams starting and playing most of the minutes. This surprised me.
What was that you were saying bout heading to the alley? ;) The alley is not smelling too hot right now. :poop2:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT