ADVERTISEMENT

Young Players emerging!

Just_Will95

I.T.S. Freshman
Oct 24, 2016
How do we feel about guys like Cooper Edminston, McKinley Whitfield, Reggie Robinson, and Keenan Johnson just to name a few who are stepping up show great promise?

I think they are all contributing solidly and I think Whitfield, Robinson, and Johnson have already shown flashes of being exceptional players. Edmiston played well, but I still think he is a step slow on the anticipation and lacking some of the savvy that Trent Martin has developed in 4 years in terms of slipping and shucking blocks and anticipating where a ball carrier will be.

I think our secondary is getting better by the game. It's crazy to think that we have 1 starter which is Jeremy Brady and I believe him and Whitfield can substitue without missing a beat.

I think Robinson should get more snaps at CB. Kerwin Thomas play too far off. Kerwin can play slot cb

I think Robinson should get more snaps at CB. Kerwin Thomas play too far off. Kerwin can play slot cb
Thomas is playing what is called. From what I have seen is that the CBs are in a 3 man rotation as there are times that Robinson/Thomas are out there, then Hill and Thomas and then Hill and Robinson. I haven't seen many times when we've brought in an extra CB, usually just roll a safety or Suits out to cover the slot. Thomas would have had a pick 6 had the Couillette not thrown the ball too high for the WR last week. They all have different strengths...Thomas plays off because he has great anticipation for the shorter routes. Hill is exceptional in just sticking with his man and being there. Robinson has ++ make-up speed. They are all good tacklers for CBs.

Reactions: Glasscain
The most athletic we've been in the secondary in a long time. Since 05' probably. Graham, Blackshire, Alexander, and Germany were there I think.

Last edited:
The most athletic we've been in the secondary in a long time. Since 05' probably. Graham, Blackshire, Alexander, and Germany were there I think.
Nick Graham was one of the best CB's I've seen play at TU. He was sneaky fast and tough. Roy Roberts was also on that team as a backup and he turned out to be a pretty good CB as well.

Reactions: URedskin54
Loved that group. Roy Roberts and Anthony Germany are two of my all time favorite TU players.

Reactions: URedskin54
Yes, and he also had a pick six against BYU that helped win that game.

Don't remember exactly, but wasn't it Roberts who nearly cut in half a Ball State punt returner in that bowl game? What a Hit!!

That hit by Roberts was right in front of our seats at the Mobile, AL bowl game. That was an awesome hit in an awesome overall bowl performance by TU!

We won 63-7, which was a record margin of victory in a bowl game at that time.

That hit by Roberts was right in front of our seats at the Mobile, AL bowl game. That was an awesome hit in an awesome overall bowl performance by TU!

We won 63-7, which was a record margin of victory in a bowl game at that time.
He'd be ejected under today's rules.

Thomas is playing what is called. From what I have seen is that the CBs are in a 3 man rotation as there are times that Robinson/Thomas are out there, then Hill and Thomas and then Hill and Robinson. I haven't seen many times when we've brought in an extra CB, usually just roll a safety or Suits out to cover the slot. Thomas would have had a pick 6 had the Couillette not thrown the ball too high for the WR last week. They all have different strengths...Thomas plays off because he has great anticipation for the shorter routes. Hill is exceptional in just sticking with his man and being there. Robinson has ++ make-up speed. They are all good tacklers for CBs.
When Thomas is in they go after him. Thomas give to much space on 2nd and 3rd down given wr 1st downs. Robinson speed allow him to press making the qb hold the ball longer which give our pass rush time to effect the pass.

I have some concerns at MLB. If 42 is Edmiston, he was constantly biting and out of position on many run plays. Tulane had over 350 yards rushing for a reason and many of those plays were between the tackles.

I have some concerns at MLB. If 42 is Edmiston, he was constantly biting and out of position on many run plays. Tulane had over 350 yards rushing for a reason and many of those plays were between the tackles.
He's also a true freshman who is not normally the starter. He will learn

Tulsa can shift to a 5 man front from there base 40 front. We need to give that qb a different look from time to time.

Tulsa can shift to a 5 man front from there base 40 front. We need to give that qb a different look from time to time.
As long as the DBs and one S are true to their assignments (don't bite the run look), we should be able to commit 8 to the box versus Navy...almost run a 4-4-3 look. One thing we have always been able to do is play pretty smart and we have the guys who have the aptitude to do that. Which coach was it that practiced without a football to prepare for Rice (Kragthorpe/TG)? Same thing here. The one thing that probably won't happen is Navy being more physical than us for the first time in forever. TU's defense can bring it this year. We may also see a lot more of Petera Wilson on one of the ends in this game as his speed and physicality will turn a lot of plays back inside.

Key to stopping Navy is not being fooled on the 6-10 passes they throw each game. Our DBs are good enough to leave on an island 1v1 against Navy's WRs. Their QB this year is more capable of throwing the ball but I'm not sure he is going to fit it in tight spaces if we have good coverage.

I agree we have guys that are physical and athletic this year. We also have depth in the secondary now too. I like seeing Mike T and Petera in a certain points as well

They are someone mentioned could we use a 5 man front. And it was stated that we could against navy

As long as the DBs and one S are true to their assignments (don't bite the run look), we should be able to commit 8 to the box versus Navy...almost run a 4-4-3 look. One thing we have always been able to do is play pretty smart and we have the guys who have the aptitude to do that. Which coach was it that practiced without a football to prepare for Rice (Kragthorpe/TG)? Same thing here. The one thing that probably won't happen is Navy being more physical than us for the first time in forever. TU's defense can bring it this year. We may also see a lot more of Petera Wilson on one of the ends in this game as his speed and physicality will turn a lot of plays back inside.

Key to stopping Navy is not being fooled on the 6-10 passes they throw each game. Our DBs are good enough to leave on an island 1v1 against Navy's WRs. Their QB this year is more capable of throwing the ball but I'm not sure he is going to fit it in tight spaces if we have good coverage.
I watched the Navy vs. Memphis highlights last night.

Thoughts: What Memphis lacked was ball discipline from its CB's and Safeties. The safeties got exposed several times which just can't happen. Our safeties have to stay up high until they're absolutely sure it's not a pass. That's the thing I'm most worried about. Biting on pass plays.

On offense, I think we should grab Navy's goal line offense to some degree. It's so hard to stop that offense from gaining 3 or so yards every down. Their last touchdown was basically just that bunch formation with the three backs used to push the QB through a hole. It would have been a nice play to run when we needed it vs Houston.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT