WTF is this?

Yeah. Funny thread
but it’s bad really bad
Brad need to man up and admit it’s a fail
A Hurricane simply cannot be personified
Do like Bama that has an elephant as a Tide
We need some cute animal maybe a giant Goldie doggie customed mascot

Whatever this mascot is our current mistake

I tried to tell you guys… The University of Tulsa does not hire good marketing consultants. (Or we get the dregs of the resources at “good“ firms)

The task I tweeted at Carson when he was taking suggestions on how to improve TU was “make captain cane not lame”.

Carson failed utterly at that. He somehow both killed Captain Cane and made the mascot worse, all at the same time. Like…. It takes real effort to be that horrid.

The first person who drew a cartoon in a Scope of Work meeting on this project should have been shown the door immediately.

Reactions: TulsaAM
Changed my profile picture to what could have been the easiest win in school history.... no overpaid consultants necessary.

Instead we waisted donors' money on a Jay Leno-Cinnamon Role in a muscle suit.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TU 1978
Changed my profile picture to what could have been the easiest win in school history.... no overpaid consultants necessary.

Instead we waisted donors' money on a Jay Leno-Cinnamon Role in a muscle suit.
An old pervert cosplaying? That’s all you’ve got? What kind of consultant are you?

Despite the costume I like him better just cuz I laughed so hard at that video. They ought to broadcast that in the network pregame/early game stuff they do at ESPN, for awhile.
I loved the video. This is what they should do at this point, embrace him being the "worst" mascot and not shy away from it.

I would love to see a Huffy flying around the field waving a warning flag. TU has an engineering department, git ‘er done!
You boys just wait until I win that Powerball. There will be a Huffy hot air balloon over that stadium at kickoff, then we are flying to Stillwater to shotgun beers and drop rotten eggs!

I loved the video. This is what they should do at this point, embrace him being the "worst" mascot and not shy away from it.
The kid in the costume is doing seriously A+ work. TU should hire him a bodyguard, nutritionist and trainer. If anything happens to him, we go back to just a sad, lame cinnamon roll. I don't see how our marketing dpt could produce such a terrible mascot and also such hilarious video content. I'm guessing whoever made the mascot decision wasn't the same people? That's what happens when you let the smart people in charge make the decisions.

Gotta admit I was hoping he'd do all that working out and then reappear as a changed man, aka a new mascot. That was the only disappointment.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
The kid in the costume is doing seriously A+ work. TU should hire him a bodyguard, nutritionist and trainer. If anything happens to him, we go back to just a sad, lame cinnamon roll. I don't see how our marketing dpt could produce such a terrible mascot and also such hilarious video content. I'm guessing whoever made the mascot decision wasn't the same people? That's what happens when you let the smart people in charge make the decisions.

Gotta admit I was hoping he'd do all that working out and then reappear as a changed man, aka a new mascot. That was the only disappointment.
If I was ou , I would keep the horse as far away from the cinnamon roll as possible , they may not have a horse for the rest of the season if it gets too close ( I hear serial killers start with animals )

I still contend that once the marketing folks star pushing out merchandise that the cinnamon roll will be a pretty solid mascot. The costume is horrible and what we see is a great deal better than it could have been.

The mascot is usually a different company than the firm that does the artwork. Not sure what happened here. But there is a disconnect with the image.

You would have liked to have seen better coordination between licensing, marketing and merchandising. With more than a year to roll out, you should be able to purchase T-Shirts, bobble heads etc at the unveiling or at least a huge game like OU with a lot of foot traffic. There’s still limited stuff on offer like the hats. It’s still not available on line. That’s a function of Jason not having the time, staff or budget to do the little things that could be done and that’s a consequence of twenty years of neglect and the previous mascot not earning enough to sustain a focused modern marketing campaign. And so that’s why you have these playful messages after the fact about the mascot being here to stay. Properly funded, you focus group and crisis communicate. You have more than one person trying to do everything.

The kids seem to like it and the negativity has calmed down. If the students are still belittling it two years from now like they did with Captain Cane for years, then they will need to spend the money to switch again and maybe get it right. There’s no law against breaking something repeatedly until it is fixed.

Last edited:
If you want a new mascot, you might see if you can borrow the Bier Meister and the chicken from Oktoberfest!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT