ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup Thread

Happy World Cup GIF by FIFA

Haji Wright = useless.

He looked gassed after playing 20 minutes. Could have run out the clock but barely rolled a weak pass through the middle.

What does it take to get that 2nd goal?? Typical Yanks. Gotta do it the hard way but they got it done! CP's injury looks bad. The grass end of a goalies spikes to the gut. Hope it's not a few cracked ribs. BTW, CP is getting fresh buzz to Man Utd or Newcastle after performance in WC. Chelsea will no doubt up his asking price after Qatar or choose to keep him for the rest of this season.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I don’t understand our subs. How does Moore play in a game and Reyna does not? I realize they play different positions. Reyna is a freak. Moore is like the basic player th e video game generates when you forget to fill out your roster.

It was a great game but we should have murdered them. They aren’t good. Way too close in end.

But we are also the only Concacaf team advancing so suck it you losers. And we did what we needed to do with a young team and absolutely terrible strikers.
We are going to need Reyna in possession if we want to beat the Dutch. Even up 1-0 we would lose 3-1 if we play the last twenty minutes on Saturday like we did today with this squad. Nobody could breathe because there was nobody that could hold up the ball. Scoring is important but equally important is the role the striker plays in holding the ball up for combination play so the back line can move up and rest for 20 seconds at least if not longer. Without that rest you will give away more goals than you can score. And eventually your guys are so gassed all they can do is run around gassed and foul because there are a half step late. Basically what you saw the last 20 minutes.

I don’t understand our subs. How does Moore play in a game and Reyna does not? I realize they play different positions. Reyna is a freak. Moore is like the basic player th e video game generates when you forget to fill out your roster.

It was a great game but we should have murdered them. They aren’t good. Way too close in end.

But we are also the only Concacaf team advancing so suck it you losers. And we did what we needed to do with a young team and absolutely terrible strikers.
Sargent played really well while he was in there...he held the ball up nicely and was able to play off to his wingers and MFs in space. I fear that injury is going to be long term for him. Pretty sure the Norwich City folks are not happy right now as Sargent was likely going to be their ticket back into the Premiere League.

CRAP. My son has a game in Florida that starts at 10am EST...same time as the US game. This sucks
I could see them moving it. If they dont their priorities are misplaced. Matt Turner gave up basketball to become a goal keeper after watching Timmy throw the ball to Landon to start the break to beat Algeria.

Anybody know if any bars in Tulsa will be open at 9a.? Maybe kilkenny's or Elgin Park.

I could see them moving it. If they dont their priorities are misplaced. Matt Turner gave up basketball to become a goal keeper after watching Timmy throw the ball to Landon to start the break to beat Algeria.
I can hope but I don't think they well. It's an EA Showcase so hundreds of teams from around the country and a limited time frame to get all the games in.

I know it's engrained in the culture of some US Soccer fans to be constantly miserable, but I'm just gonna crack open an American beer and bask in the glory of an undefeated group stage performance and the absolute class build-up of that goal. Turner with a freaking dart to Weah past that high line, the beautiful settle from Weah, Adams smartly switching our point of attack, and McKennie delivering it on a platter for Dest's perfectly-timed run and Captain America putting future generations on the line to end it. Hoo boy, misspell Gregg all you want, when it works, it's a work of art.

I'm a little shocked that McNellie's isn't opening up early.

Fassler Hall will be open.

I bet some guys at Orpha’s will happily play a soccer game for you if there is no tv.

Sargent played really well while he was in there...he held the ball up nicely and was able to play off to his wingers and MFs in space. I fear that injury is going to be long term for him. Pretty sure the Norwich City folks are not happy right now as Sargent was likely going to be their ticket back into the Premiere League.

I didn’t mention Sargent. Isn’t there some Boston sports event should be non sequitur-ing about instead?

Orpha’s will be open. Just sayin.
Check on George's in Jenks and also the White Lion, which is usually open early on Saturdays for EPL watches sonI can't imagine them not being open for this one.

Back in 1994 my friends and I went to an Irish bar in South Boston to watch the Ireland/Netherlands knockout stage game in the 4th of July. You've never seen so many drunk Irish wannabes at 1pm as there were that day. Remember, the US played Brazil a little later that day. Fun times.

On the game, I think we match up well with the Dutch. And my son, who follows all of this much more closely in terms of players, transfers, and form, thinks the Dutch manager is making a mistake by not playing De Ligt and one other player. And let's be honest, they played in probably the weakest group of all of them. This will not be a hang on and hope we can get to PKs situation like the 2014 game vs Belgium

Check on George's in Jenks and also the White Lion, which is usually open early on Saturdays for EPL watches sonI can't imagine them not being open for this one.

Back in 1994 my friends and I went to an Irish bar in South Boston to watch the Ireland/Netherlands knockout stage game in the 4th of July. You've never seen so many drunk Irish wannabes at 1pm as there were that day. Remember, the US played Brazil a little later that day. Fun times.

On the game, I think we match up well with the Dutch. And my son, who follows all of this much more closely in terms of players, transfers, and form, thinks the Dutch manager is making a mistake by not playing De Ligt and one other player. And let's be honest, they played in probably the weakest group of all of them. This will not be a hang on and hope we can get to PKs situation like the 2014 game vs Belgium
Pulisic "pelvic contusion " i.e. bruised jewels I presume. What a bizarre injury.

Seems to think he will be ok to play.

Heard nothing about Sargent who BTW has a new level of respect from me based on this WC.

Reactions: quincy101
Pulisic "pelvic contusion " i.e. bruised jewels I presume. What a bizarre injury.

Seems to think he will be ok to play.

Heard nothing about Sargent who BTW has a new level of respect from me based on this WC.
Sounds like a fancy way of saying he got racked really hard. It's what I expected, seeing the collision, and the force involved. I'm just happy to hear he doesn't feel like it will get in the way of Saturday's game. I have to imagine he'll be a little touch me tender in the morning. Hope he isn't gun shy when Cillessen comes running.

Last edited:
Reactions: quincy101
After winning a playoff to qualify the Socceroos are on to the knockout round with a win over the Danes. The French ran a second string out on the pitch and took a loss to rest their starters. Is that a good move for a team that is playing well together? is 8 days off needed?

After winning a playoff to qualify the Socceroos are on to the knockout round with a win over the Danes. The French ran a second string out on the pitch and took a loss to rest their starters. Is that a good move for a team that is playing well together? is 8 days off needed?
Will Brazil & Portugal pull the same move?

Dude....the afternoon set of games from Group D was insane. Argentina wins 2-0 over Poland and Mexico was winning 2-0 vs Saudi Arabia. This put Poland and Mexico equal on every tie breaker except for Fair Play points and because Mexico had 3 more yellow cards to this point, Poland would advance. Poland literally held on to get a 0-2 result that they needed. Mexico threw the kitchen sink at Saudi Arabia the last 20 minutes and had 1 goal pulled back for an offside (it was clear, didn't need VAR). Some of the drama went by the wayside when Saudi Arabia scored a goal at 90+5 and put Mexico down 1 in the GD category. US is the only CONCACAF nation to advance to the knockout round. Another stat, this is the 1st time the US has ever had 2 shutouts in the group stage and the 1 goal conceded is also the lowest for the US in the group stage. That 1 goal was a PK too so they have not been scored on in the run of play which is pretty impressive.

LFG!!!!

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Dude....the afternoon set of games from Group D was insane. Argentina wins 2-0 over Poland and Mexico was winning 2-0 vs Saudi Arabia. This put Poland and Mexico equal on every tie breaker except for Fair Play points and because Mexico had 3 more yellow cards to this point, Poland would advance. Poland literally held on to get a 0-2 result that they needed. Mexico threw the kitchen sink at Saudi Arabia the last 20 minutes and had 1 goal pulled back for an offside (it was clear, didn't need VAR). Some of the drama went by the wayside when Saudi Arabia scored a goal at 90+5 and put Mexico down 1 in the GD category. US is the only CONCACAF nation to advance to the knockout round. Another stat, this is the 1st time the US has ever had 2 shutouts in the group stage and the 1 goal conceded is also the lowest for the US in the group stage. That 1 goal was a PK too so they have not been scored on in the run of play which is pretty impressive.

LFG!!!!
Is Costa Rica 100% out?

Is Costa Rica 100% out?
No but they are facing a German team that has to win to have a shot at advancing and because of the walloping by Spain they have a -6 GD despite winning a game. They need to win to have a shot at advancing. Anything else and they lose on GD no matter the other results.

No but they are facing a German team that has to win to have a shot at advancing and because of the walloping by Spain they have a -6 GD despite winning a game. They need to win to have a shot at advancing. Anything else and they lose on GD no matter the other results.
I thought they could advance w a win no matter how unlikely.

I don’t understand why most professional athletes don’t wear a soft cup. They don’t slow you down if you give it a chance. I wore one from probably 16 to 30 playing indoor keeper. I got tired of saving point-blank shots with my nuts. Didn’t feel good. Of course it didn’t help those facial saves that stung for a few days but at least I could’ve pro-created. Lol.

Is Costa Rica 100% out?
No. If CR ties and Japan loses, Costa Rica will go through. Germany must win and have Japan lose or tie (if they tie, Germany will need a +2 goal differential swing to overtake Japan.

Weird thing is if Japan wins AND Costa Rica wins, Japan likely will advance as the Group E winner, Costa Rica will go through as the 2nd place team as both would end up with 6 pts leaving Spain and Germany out of the knock out round. That would be absolutely stunning. I knew this was a tough group but never in my wildest imagination could I even dream up a scenario that could leave Spain and Germany on the outside.

Anyone been watching World Cup Tonight - specifically Chad "Spanish 85" Johnson?

Complete idiot. Cringeworthy IMO.

I knew this was a tough group but never in my wildest imagination could I even dream up a scenario that could leave Spain and Germany on the outside.
Yet they will both probably win, and things will be back to normal again.

No. If CR ties and Japan loses, Costa Rica will go through. Germany must win and have Japan lose or tie (if they tie, Germany will need a +2 goal differential swing to overtake Japan.

Weird thing is if Japan wins AND Costa Rica wins, Japan likely will advance as the Group E winner, Costa Rica will go through as the 2nd place team as both would end up with 6 pts leaving Spain and Germany out of the knock out round. That would be absolutely stunning. I knew this was a tough group but never in my wildest imagination could I even dream up a scenario that could leave Spain and Germany on the outside.
Japan stunned Germany in a first game upset but I don’t see them surprising Spain. I think it’s more likely they paste a CR like whoopin on them although it is not likely to be 7-0 bad. CR tying Germany is not out of the question but I think Germany will be mean with their back against the wall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT