ADVERTISEMENT

Wichita State Game Thread

Wow, the new rules really favor driving. Everything is a blocking foul.

Is it just me or does the ESPN3 feed lag. I hate checking the box score for stats

WSU has 4 shot clock beating baskets, 2 of which were 3 pointers. We're playing some really good basketball right now.
Knock on wood

Reactions: RealTUTypical
All this talk about Van Vleet, Baker is single handedly keeping the shockers in this game.

Poor Shockers. Maybe they'll get a decent bowl game, oh wait, nevermind.

Do they still have the Wichita State Relays? I guess they can look forward to that.

WSU's Grady gets player of the game and WSU's VanVleet gets the play of the game with his quick nine to end the half. Announcers also ended telecast stating TU was a marginal top 25 team at best but had the crowd and the answer this game.

WSU's Grady gets player of the game and WSU's VanVleet gets the play of the game with his quick nine to end the half. Announcers also ended telecast stating TU was a marginal top 25 team at best but had the crowd and the answer this game.
Silly post game analysis. Player of the game: Tulsa bench.

You play with that intensity every game and you are more than a "marginal" Top 25 team. You will be a deep tournament contender.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Their announcers are as delusional as the majority of their fans on ShockerNet.

Over-rated! Clap, clap, clap-clap-clap!!!

(Plus some of their players have stupid hair)

Birt reminds me of Cordell Love. Maybe not the same defensively just yet. We actually match up well against WSU, especially inside. Hadith needs to take the mentality that any other player except Baker can beat us and he needs to make sure the players understand that.

I need to see him play more, but if Marcus Ledoux and Cordell Love had a left handed child it'd be Birt.

Not in Tulsa anymore. I'm forced to watch this BS broadcast.

My bad. Wasn't meaning to aim that at you. There are a couple thousand local TU fans who missed a GREAT game!! TU students really did represent & most TU fans are hoarse tonight!

Reactions: TU_BLA
My bad. Wasn't meaning to aim that at you. There are a couple thousand local TU fans who missed a GREAT game!! TU students really did represent & most TU fans are hoarse tonight!
I usually try to make games of this magnitude. I'm a 3 1/2 hour round trip away, but I had a youth bball game to coach. Luckily I caught most of the second half on ESPN 3.

For the most part, we looked like a team of seniors tonight. I didn't see a lot of silly stuff or forced offense, save for a shot Shaq rushed and airballed (ball was never set in his hand when he shot it) and the subsequent aired 3 by Birt. Our inbounds plays and press break were impressive.Our FT shooting (knock on wood all season) was the difference. Wright got a bad deal with some of the fouls called on him.

Baker is a big time player...snot nosed punk, but he can play. Curtis and Woodard both played some really solid D on him and he was still hitting shots. If I'm Marshall, I sit Van Vleet until he is healthy. He clearly wasn't tonight.

TU is deep. Birt is a needed lift and can do a lot more than just jack 3's. I believe he led TU in rebounds tonight. Smith and Wright were almost afterthoughts on the offensive side but not because they weren't being effective. Both missed close in layups to start the 2nd half but both were half way down before spinning out. Ray didn't have to do a ton on offense.

I love the rule changes. No 5 second calls, the 30 second clock, the new timeout format. Game seemed to have much more flow than early season games last year. Big win for TU...need to follow it up with 3 this weekend!

One more thing...at the end of the game when the students "rushed" the court...I don't like rushing the court this early in the season. Big win yes, but it's not like we're ORU beating the #9 team in the nation. I did like that when they played the alma mater, almost all the students on the court, the team, the cheerleaders, and a bunch of others all stood and faced the band and sang the alma mater like it meant something. One of the best things I've seen in a while in terms of TU pride showing through en masse. I think that needs to be something that finds its way to be something at the end of every game.

Gorgeous stat line for Curtis. Shaq and Woodard too. Great overall shooting % and kept TOs relatively to a minimum. Birt again taking a lot of shots but like his assist #.

Was our D on point? Or was WSU just missing a lot of shots? Box score indicates VV and Baker just kept on jacking it up from three. Lots o' jumpers.

WOW.

Gorgeous stat line for Curtis. Shaq and Woodard too. Great overall shooting % and kept TOs relatively to a minimum. Birt again taking a lot of shots but like his assist #.

Was our D on point? Or was WSU just missing a lot of shots? Box score indicates VV and Baker just kept on jacking it up from three. Lots o' jumpers.

WOW.
The D in the first half had a couple breakdowns and we had a couple turnovers that helped WSU, but in the second half, every one of our guards + Smitty + Birt + Dre really ratcheted up the 3 point defense. Smitty had some key blocks, and our guards really showed how much their work this summer has paid off.

It was an intense, fun watch. I advise you to replay it on ESPN3 when you get back stateside.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie

WOW.
WSU played poorly and Tulsa played better tonight. As far as VV jacking up threes, he was definitely not 100% and couldnt drive, stay in front of anyone or close out. He shouldn't have even played tonight (which admittedly would have made the loss worse), he just needs to get better.

WOW.
There wasn't a lot of space for Baker all night. He worked pretty hard for his points. Van Vleet had 9 pts on 3-3pts in the last minute of the first half....the first of which he jacked up from the T in Tulsa on the court to beat the shot clock. It was ridiculous. He also got a forearm shove the defender away assisted 3 to end the 1st half. He was pretty ineffective the rest of the game.Outside of those 2 and Grady, WSU got virtually nothing from anyone else.

Time for TU fans to start rooting for WSU to reel off 20 straight wins. We need this a MARQUEE win for March consideration.

But more importantly, we need wins over Ohio U, Indiana State-Norfolk State then a big championship matchup likely with Florida State or South Carolina. Keep it rolllin rollin rollin.

At least need to get a close loss in the championship, or better, to keep rolling like we did tonight.

Neither Florida State or South Carolina are any good.

Now the rest of Kanas is in mourning too. Kansas goes down to Michigan State. The Boston in me wants to ask Phoggy "How you like dem apples"

Neither Florida State or South Carolina are any good.

Now the rest of Kanas is in mourning too. Kansas goes down to Michigan State. The Boston in me wants to ask Phoggy "How you like dem apples"
Didju get-ha numba?

Birt reminds me of Cordell Love. .

That is exactly what my friend said to each other while we were watching the game last night.

The young man is fearless. Already love the guy.

GO TU!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT