ADVERTISEMENT

Wichita St Game Thread

We're shooting way too many three pt shots for a team we thought was going to be strong inside.

I think our 11 point home loss to Jacksoville State lowered our expectations. That may a good thing for this young team.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Seems like we have settled down a bit but Henderson is taking too many quick shots and Birt has disappeared second half.

Last of action in the last couple of minutes but not much resulted from it for either team.

If Taplin is going to drive he needs to develop a little floater.

We just weren't ready, even without Wheeler. Birt needs to assert himself.

And how are we bad at free throws yet again?

I agree with your comments, but why are we not ready & why do we continue with poor free throw shooting?

Overall, Haith has recruited in a very subpar manner. Look at the talent difference between McDuffie, Morris, Nurger, etc... and our guys. It's embarrassing.

Scary bad. Got to be disappointed in how slow our inside game is. The strongest part of our team is not very good

Overall, Haith has recruited in a very subpar manner. Look at the talent difference between McDuffie, Morris, Nurger, etc... and our guys. It's embarrassing.

I disagree. I see talent out there but they are still working to become a team (and for the freshmen learning to play at this level). Judge them after two years not two games.

I disagree. I see talent out there but they are still working to become a team (and for the freshmen learning to play at this level). Judge them after two years not two games.
Got to love you Nevada. The ultimate optimist.

Edogi's defense will keep him on the bench. Magnay much better defense & rebounding right now.

I am going to reserve judgment for several more games but I am not seeing much yet to get me excited.

Looks like the Phillips years. We've had young teams before that performed just fine. Recently, the Woodard/Harrison group was very young. They were very respectable immediately.

This is more than a "young team" issue. I thought the talent was good...but, it looks like each player has glaring deficiencies...especially in comparison to other D1 teams.

Etou is the closest complete player TU has.

The team doesn't look like they have the pieces to properly "mesh".

Got to love you Nevada. The ultimate optimist.

Optimistic yes, but more like voice of reason. We all knew we were going to take our lumps. Wichita State is a good team playing at home, we are a brand new team playing on the road for the first time. I'm not worried, yet.

Etou and Igbanu out for a large part of this run. I am reserving judgement till after we get Wheeler back and have at least 3 or 4 games playing together before I make judgements.

Maybe but a long way to go. Poor defense, poor rebounding, looking slow, poor shooting including freebies and lack of hustle is very discouraging. This looks really sad

I would feel better if just one of these young guys had made a three. just one guy. discouraging.

I think we have talent, but it's going to take a lot more work than I thought. Our bigs need to hit the boards and we need to stop fouling.

Etou got called for a couple that weren't fouls. Igbanu got called for at least 1 that wasn't a foul.

Maybe but a long way to go. Poor defense, poor rebounding, looking slow, poor shooting including freebies and lack of hustle is very discouraging. This looks really sad

This is only my first look at this team but the lack of hustle stood out to me too.

Lol at people making up history. Woodard and Shaq freshman year was not "ready" or "good" immediately. They didn't reach .500 that season until conference play and had a very very very weak schedule to start the season.

WSU was favored by 20 points for a reason. They're much better than us and have a better coach. The melting after this game is silly. Be mad about Jacksonville St but this game?

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
When Shaq and Juice were freshmen, we took that Canada trip. While that team was not very good most of the year, you could see Self's attacking defense had been installed and we had the speed and athletes to do it. We sucked but were fun to watch and really fast.

I don't know why this team didn't take a trip. Also, while I see something resembling that Haith offense at times, we have some guys getting wide open looks that look like fearful baby seals.

We kind of already knew(and/or feared) that tough defense was left over from Manning's years.

It'll take a few games to create some type of identity with so many new players, including many who haven't played D-1 ball. Young players have to learn quickly how to defend/rebound on this level, it's much different than high school/AAU. We should know more about this team by the ORU game. Even our Junior laden team got blown out 2 years ago at Wichita St 75-55. That team finished 2nd in AAC.

I still haven't seen more than 5 minutes of Tulsa this year. Once Wheeler returns, and they play a couple more games together, can we really make judgements about this team. If we get blown out at ORU, we'll probably have some issues besides inexperience.

Hell, that buttmunch Wojcik rolled out four freshmen in the starting line-up and looked Top 20 compared to this. Sad.

Lol at people making up history. Woodard and Shaq freshman year was not "ready" or "good" immediately. They didn't reach .500 that season until conference play and had a very very very weak schedule to start the season.

WSU was favored by 20 points for a reason. They're much better than us and have a better coach. The melting after this game is silly. Be mad about Jacksonville St but this game?

Incorrect, Friend...The TU team during Woodard and Harrison's freshman year were over .500 the entire season...including non-conference wins over ORU and TCU.

They did get blown out at WSU, but they looked "D1 ready" most of the season.

The non-conference schedule was a little softer, but they definitely didn't get pounded by Jacksonville St.

Regardless, I'm praying for improvement.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT