ADVERTISEMENT

Who should be the next coach?

Hmmm.....how'd that 2010 season go? You know where after one bad year he hired an OC?

Hold on, you mean we would have to recruit? Are you sure about that? Should he just get a QB? Or maybe he should throw in some running backs, receivers, linemen, tight ends, linebackers, corners and safeties?
Wow you're clever. I hope you wouldn't talk to Graham like that. He might have some choice words for you.

Lots of DFW kids watching facebook for games? He got quite a pay raise to get to Monty's level and I doubt he looks at UNT as his final job. A sub par season this year (Houston beat them down at UNT after they Houston went into redshirt mode) and he might think it's time to move on. You see his Fine QB is almost out of eligibility and things look to be getting tougher without him.
My thoughts exactly. Tulsa and the AAC is a straight up better job.

So I was curious about how many penalties UNT commits per game. Knowing full well that Seth Littrell is still one bad hombre, a 19-year-old LEC sure as heck wouldn't want to commit a false start or any other dumbass penalty because my head coach might actually kick my ass later for it.

But ole' Monty just pats 'em on the butt. It's not my fault, he says, these guys are just young and they're learning. Whatever you say, Monty.

For comparison sake, UNT commits six penalties/gm vs our 10+/gm. In fact, through six games, we lead the country. If it wasn't for our neighbors in Norman, we'd have the most penalized yardage as well.

Wow you're clever. I hope you wouldn't talk to Graham like that. He might have some choice words for you.

Graham wouldn't have said something as dumb as "Think I should recruit a QB, because this one is going to graduate?" Captain obvious.

This is why I leave you on ignore 99% of the time.

So I was curious about how many penalties UNT commits per game. Knowing full well that Seth Littrell is still one bad hombre, a 19-year-old LEC sure as heck wouldn't want to commit a false start or any other dumbass penalty because my head coach might actually kick my ass later for it.

But ole' Monty just pats 'em on the butt. It's not my fault, he says, these guys are just young and they're learning. Whatever you say, Monty.

For comparison sake, UNT commits six penalties/gm vs our 10+/gm. In fact, through six games, we lead the country. If it wasn't for our neighbors in Norman, we'd have the most penalized yardage as well.

Hmmm, when your team is struggling it would seem a positive to reduce self inflicted damage. Particularly if you are giving up 50-100 yards a game because of it.

Careful. Josh Blankenship coaches some D2 school in Colorado. We certainly don’t want that here.

Is he winning?

If so that is better than our current hall monitor.

All kidding aside.. if we could find a winning program that plays a scheme that we like, then i think a d2 coach and staff might succeed.. they deal with small budgets, have to sell kids on playing football for minimal scholarships, and have to sell kids on their schools.

Is it guaranteed to work? Meh.. but unless jerry-o has another krag in his back pocket..

Graham wouldn't have said something as dumb as "Think I should recruit a QB, because this one is going to graduate?" Captain obvious.

This is why I leave you on ignore 99% of the time.
You post responses to him 99% of the time. Honesty is such a lonely word.

Is he winning?

I don’t know if he wins, but I’d be willing to bet that if his D2 team is anything like the HS team that he once coached they’re well on the way to a record number of personal foul penalties.

Reactions: noble cane
Is he winning?

All kidding aside.. if we could find a winning program that plays a scheme that we like, then i think a d2 coach and staff might succeed.. they deal with small budgets, have to sell kids on playing football for minimal scholarships, and have to sell kids on their schools.

Is it guaranteed to work? Meh.. but unless jerry-o has another krag in his back pocket..

We aren’t near the point we were when Krag was brought in. We have a damn talented team that’s being held back by an awful head coach. Let someone not get those team confused.

You post responses to him 99% of the time. Honesty is such a lonely word.

As much as you're obsessed with my posting you should know better. However you and being wrong are rarely seperate, in fact that occurs about as often as you adding substance to the discussion.

Marion needs more FBS coaching experience before he should be considered for a head coaching position. I think he could certainly be considered for a OC position though.

Marion needs more FBS coaching experience before he should be considered for a head coaching position. I think he could certainly be considered for a OC position though.

This x100. I'd hate for him to be thrown into the TU HC job before he's ready and fails. If the timing works out 4-5 years down the road and we are looking for another HC and he has FBS experience at coordinator level or low-level HC then, by all means, make him near the top of the shortlist. But this offseason would be far too soon to hand over the HC position to him.

Reactions: astonmartin708
This x100. I'd hate for him to be thrown into the TU HC job before he's ready and fails. If the timing works out 4-5 years down the road and we are looking for another HC and he has FBS experience at coordinator level or low-level HC then, by all means, make him near the top of the shortlist. But this offseason would be far too soon to hand over the HC position to him.

What in the hell do we have to lose? How old is milkman? There are mid 30 somthings head coaching in the nfl right now. If he has the smarts and interviews well give him a shot.

Reactions: TU_BLA and 4tu2
Really? When was the last time that North Texas was on TV?

Go check the conference boards because I have already had this arguement about North Texas, with UNT fans. They are way behind in budgets, commitments, progress, exposure and anything else you want to measure. They are pouring money into the program and are still well behind any AAC school. Seth got a bump to 1.4m this year, after arguably the best season in UNT's history. Hell we start our coaches out at that.

The "no one wants the job who is good" sort of attitude is how we ended up Monty. Ashton's attitude gave us Graham. Kragthorpe was clearly a good assistant who came in with a plan and wowed the administration and WANTED the job.

Oh nobody wants to come coach at Tulsa....we just suck so offer someone we know will take the job. Terrible attitude, that will seep into the program as a whole when its believed by the fanbase.

The AAC is the stepping stone to huge P5 jobs, Oregon, Nebraska, etc. The exposure and push from the new media contract, the high profile teams (multiple ranked every season), fertile recruiting grounds and no big bully (OU, Clemson, Alabama, Boise) claiming king of the hill.

Tulsa sits in the middle of that opportunity at a place people have won and won big at. For a young up and coming coach who is eager to prove he belongs, we're a perfect match.
Yep, and this is exactly why basketball reached the level it did through the 90's/early 2000's. This exact model landed us Tubby, Robinson, and Self. It also gave us Mlazahn and Morris as OCs who knew they could turn this opportunity into huge P5 opportunities. Tired of the merry-go-round but not having the money to make any of these coaches stick around, the admin changed to finding someone who wanted to stay here. That gave us Phillips and BB. I have no doubt Monty wanted to move on but you've got to win, and have the humility to know doing both the HC/OC roles is too much at this level.

What in the hell do we have to lose? How old is milkman? There are mid 30 somthings head coaching in the nfl right now. If he has the smarts and interviews well give him a shot.
I'm on board with this. Brennan could recruit the hell out of kids too. He has a relevant story for them and the knowledge needed to put them on a path to playing the game for $$$ when they're done at TU. And he's smart. He would absolutely surround himself with assistants who are just as hungry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT