ADVERTISEMENT

Who should be the next coach?

I would love to have Todd Graham back. He could motivate players and find absolutely amazing assistant coaches. Norvell, Hand, Malzahn, and Morris were all incredible hires by Graham. I also loved the way he could bring energy to the players and win big games. Beating BYU in 07, Notre Dame in 2010 were some big wins that frankly we don’t get at all under Montgomery

Keep the defensive staff. They’re getting it done.

get Graham for the HC and the Milkman for the OC.

Reactions: TU_BLA
No one but a proven HC who has a track record of taking a team and improving it over time and turning it into a champion at some level. Find the best FCS coach out there.
Steve Kragthope moved back to Tulsa . Quit pretending that some young phenomenal dynamic “Up and Comer” whiz bang coach would be interested in taking the Tulsa U football job...it ain’t gonna happen. Tulsa operates on a shoestring budget , even the phantom indoor facility is a dead subject . TU brass has never stuck their financial necks out for athletics and they never will ...plain and simple they’re too scared and small minded .

Steve Kragthope moved back to Tulsa . Quit pretending that some young phenomenal dynamic “Up and Comer” whiz bang coach would be interested in taking the Tulsa U football job...it ain’t gonna happen. Tulsa operates on a shoestring budget , even the phantom indoor facility is a dead subject . TU brass has never stuck their financial necks out for athletics and they never will ...plain and simple they’re too scared and small minded .

if true, someone must be held accountable. We were told the new American funds were increased over what was received previously. Who is squandering that?

if true, someone must be held accountable. We were told the new American funds were increased over what was received previously. Who is squandering that?
Title Nine has put a tremendous financial burden on college athletics. True that most women’s and minor sports only give “Half Scholarships “ but the travel expenses are enormous. What is the cost to fly the girl’s volleyball team and their coaches to Philadelphia to play one match against Temple ? It ain’t cheap . Just hope that the new American money will be spent wisely.

Kragthorpe is dealing with Parkinson's disease. I don't think he would necessarily have the energy to put towards being a HC. I even think once he was diagnosed he stepped down as LSU's OC and moved to a consultant role for the offense.

If we're retreading former HCs, Graham is the one. If you're not going the former TU HC route...Applewhite is out there. Todd Orlando (Texas' DC). Malzahn will be available too if Auburn doesn't beat Alabama. They can go 10-2 this year and he will get fired because they didn't beat Bama, didn't win the SEC west, and didn't make the CFP.

Kragthorpe is dealing with Parkinson's disease. I don't think he would necessarily have the energy to put towards being a HC. I even think once he was diagnosed he stepped down as LSU's OC and moved to a consultant role for the offense.

If we're retreading former HCs, Graham is the one. If you're not going the former TU HC route...Applewhite is out there. Todd Orlando (Texas' DC). Malzahn will be available too if Auburn doesn't beat Alabama. They can go 10-2 this year and he will get fired because they didn't beat Bama, didn't win the SEC west, and didn't make the CFP.

I'd prefer Malzahn to Graham if he becomes available.

I think Monty will still be here next year though.

I'd prefer Malzahn to Graham if he becomes available.

I think Monty will still be here next year though.
I think Malzahn will be available and I think TU could get him for about the same amount they're paying Monty now. And I believe Gus and his wife like Tulsa.

And I'm all for creating a program where we become a 3 and done school for head coaches. Means we are being successful. Players may not like it...or maybe they don't care if they're winning.

If Graham were HC, we would have beaten SMU about 56-23 the other night. SMU would have gotten a couple of scores late but TU would have come back and just stepped on their throats. And that's the disappointing thing. This team could have hung 50+ on SMU if we keep playing and stay aggressive.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
Can’t afford to fire and pay buy out I would want Graham or Malzahn but would we be able to afford to hire them at the money they would want

Hire whoever as HC, but hire Bill Self as assistant just for recruiting purposes. It may be a different sport but he knows how to get the job done.

Title Nine has put a tremendous financial burden on college athletics. True that most women’s and minor sports only give “Half Scholarships “ but the travel expenses are enormous. What is the cost to fly the girl’s volleyball team and their coaches to Philadelphia to play one match against Temple ? It ain’t cheap . Just hope that the new American money will be spent wisely.
Not as much as it costs to fly one losing football team somewhere. The volleyball team wins. The women are 3-1 in conference play. I don't know anything about a girls team.

Can’t afford to fire and pay buy out I would want Graham or Malzahn but would we be able to afford to hire them at the money they would want

Isn't Monty's buy out this year negligible?

Graham has ASU money, pretty sure Malzahn has the Auburn contract set up in such a way we could back load a Tulsa deal while he collects from Auburn.

Not as much as it costs to fly one losing football team somewhere. The volleyball team wins. The women are 3-1 in conference play. I don't know anything about a girls team.
I stepped in Reynolds last year to buy some basketball tickets and watched five minutes of TU girl’s volleyball ... must have been fifteen fans in attendance. I imagine parents .

I stepped in Reynolds last year to buy some basketball tickets and watched five minutes of TU girl’s volleyball ... must have been fifteen fans in attendance. I imagine parents .
Were they winning, if so that is a darn sight more than Monty's football "boys."

You see in High School the sign on the restrooms say Boys and Girls. In college they say Men and Women.

The libero has 2000 digs. Let's see you dive on the hardwood floor that many times. All TU athletes should be respected, just ask Kaiser.

Isn't Monty's buy out this year negligible?

Graham has ASU money, pretty sure Malzahn has the Auburn contract set up in such a way we could back load a Tulsa deal while he collects from Auburn.

You're high if you think we're going to get Malzahn from Auburn.
He seems to stay high. Who says Malzahn is going to get fired anyway. If he loses to Alabama, Georgia, and LSU, maybe. But that hasn't happened yet,

Last edited:
You guys are drinking to much Malzahn Kook Aid, he is not going to get fired, they have a great freshman QB and a top 10 recruiting class coming into Tiger Country.

He is one of the best offensive minds in football and could go to the NFL as OC. He is a big time coach on any level.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
It would be interesting to look at success rates in going after a HC from FCS, FBS program in the Sunbelt or other similar conference vs a Coordinator or HC retread. I am sure there are examples of both good and bad hires from each scenario. A few examples include Tulane’s current coach who has done well after stints at Sam Houston and Ga St southern; TU’s Morton from NDSU had 2 good years here albeit with Cooper’s players and there are other examples. Many coordinators have not been successful in the transition to HC - Keith Burns at TU, the last ECU Coach, etc.... Some retreads that didn’t pan out in their second go around - Edsall at UConn, Pitrino at Louisville, etc..

To be honest, the answer is Graham for a lot of us. That said, a fresh start with someone new and exciting could be what the program needs. The talent on this team, as shown in the climb back to a Top 60 ranking this year, is sadly being held back from a special season.

Our DC seems to have things rolling.

Is he head coach material?

Were they winning, if so that is a darn sight more than Monty's football "boys."

You see in High School the sign on the restrooms say Boys and Girls. In college they say Men and Women.

The libero has 2000 digs. Let's see you dive on the hardwood floor that many times. All TU athletes should be respected, just ask Kaiser.
Thank you Glenn Dobbs for your semantics correction , they still look like girl’s to me , but you have it your way . How about young men and young women ? Probably not good enough , eh ? I believe I’ll pass on your challenge of 2000 digs on the floor , I’m already on Advil gel caps .

Thank you Glenn Dobbs for your semantics correction , they still look like girl’s to me , but you have it your way . How about young men and young women ? Probably not good enough , eh ? I believe I’ll pass on your challenge of 2000 digs on the floor , I’m already on Advil gel caps .
My last: Our football program is in trouble. Title IX didn't do it nor is it going away. Title IX was passed in 1972. Hiring the wrong coach was the mistake. Like everyone else I thought it was a good move five years ago.

There was a time when everyone thought soccer wasn't much of a sport. Now Liverpool is the modern equivalent of the Yankees of old. And the US is the power in women's soccer. In those days Glenn Dobbs was the Head Football coach and F.A Dry the assistant. A few GAs. Everyone in every sport spends like crazy and the excitement is over this year's uniform. I guess we look stylish losing. Dobbs was there when I was a student although I have always sprained an ankle every time I touch a football.

I just don't like belittling any TU sport based on five minutes of observation. Especially one that is winning. END

Last edited:
If anything, imagine the storylines topped with a season ticket sales boost in the first year of hiring Graham back. We might even possibly come close to selling out the first home game regardless of the opponent.

Im on board if for some reason we are looking for a coach after this season.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
You're high if you think we're going to get Malzahn from Auburn.
I've already posted this...Malzahn will be fired at Auburn if he doesn't win the 'Bama game. Losing to Florida this past weekend sealed that. And that doesn't take into account he also still has games against LSU and Georgia as well. Auburn fans are already delusional that they should be winning the SEC West as much as Bama does. If he goes 8-4 with 4 losses against 4 top 10 teams, he will be out. I think there is a rumor that they're trying to put together something for Urban Meyer too. There's also a rumor they'll make a play for Bob Stoops.

We wouldn't be going after Malzahn while still the coach of Auburn. He would be looking for a job. And if we were in a place to land him, this is what the coaching staff should look like:
Malzahn - HC
Milkman- OC/WRs
Gillespie- DC

Fill the rest of the staff from there. I actually think we have the players on offense to make Malzahn's 'O' fly.

Hire whoever as HC, but hire Bill Self as assistant just for recruiting purposes. It may be a different sport but he knows how to get the job done.
Is bringing the stripper poles for halftime or pregame a possibility if Bill comes on board? What is lack of institutional control.

Reactions: noble cane
I've already posted this...Malzahn will be fired at Auburn if he doesn't win the 'Bama game. Losing to Florida this past weekend sealed that. And that doesn't take into account he also still has games against LSU and Georgia as well. Auburn fans are already delusional that they should be winning the SEC West as much as Bama does. If he goes 8-4 with 4 losses against 4 top 10 teams, he will be out. I think there is a rumor that they're trying to put together something for Urban Meyer too. There's also a rumor they'll make a play for Bob Stoops.

We wouldn't be going after Malzahn while still the coach of Auburn. He would be looking for a job. And if we were in a place to land him, this is what the coaching staff should look like:
Malzahn - HC
Milkman- OC/WRs
Gillespie- DC

Fill the rest of the staff from there. I actually think we have the players on offense to make Malzahn's 'O' fly.
I'm just saying that Malzahn after the job he's done at Auburn is going to be to big a fish for us to get even if he's let go there. The dude has won a national championship for christ sakes. He's going to get swallowed up by a mid-major P5 program from outside the SEC long before he comes to Tulsa. I'm thinking Florida State, but I could see someone quite a few teams taking a waiver on Malzahn. Probably someone from the Pittsburg-Arizona State echelon that Graham fizzled out of.

Losing to bama wont necessarily keep them out of cfp..

Im personally hoping for 4 SEC teams in the CFP... no one else is worthy.

Losing to bama wont necessarily keep them out of cfp..

Im personally hoping for 4 SEC teams in the CFP... no one else is worthy.
I'll reserve judgement for who should be in the playoff until later and more games have been played. Bama is in unless they lose 3 games between now and the SEC championship. Clemson is in unless they lose 2X. Ohio State is in if they win out in the B1G. The last spot will come down to either an undefeated OU or a 1 loss Georgia.

Malzahn will be fired the day after the Bama game if he loses to LSU, Georgia, and in the Iron Bowl. He won't even get to coach in the bowl game. That is a near certain guarantee. If he somehow manages to beat LSU and Georgia, but loses to Bama, he will be fired after the bowl game. Coaches at Auburn, Michigan, & Ohio State get fired for winning 9 games a year but losing to the arch rival because that one game is the most important game of the season. Auburn could end up 8-4 and lose a stupid game to say Miss St and beat Alabama and Malzahn would likely get to keep his job.

I'm just saying that Malzahn after the job he's done at Auburn is going to be to big a fish for us to get even if he's let go there. The dude has won a national championship for christ sakes. He's going to get swallowed up by a mid-major P5 program from outside the SEC long before he comes to Tulsa. I'm thinking Florida State, but I could see someone quite a few teams taking a waiver on Malzahn. Probably someone from the Pittsburg-Arizona State echelon that Graham fizzled out of.
Florida State is a complete dumpster fire. Everyone wants the 2nd coming of Bobby Bowden there-fans, players, board, local government. It's a near impossible legacy to try to recapture. Taggart should have had it easy there...and just hasn't and just can't figure out the combo of things to make it work. And Taggart is an overall good guy who I don't think will sell out to recruit the questionable character guys that made Bowden successful.

I think you misunderstand what drives Gus and what appeals to him. There's a reason he came here from Arkansas. There's a reason he went to Arkansas State as a HC over staying as the OC at Auburn. There's a reason why a place like Tulsa could be more appealing than going to a place like Florida State for him.

Florida State is a complete dumpster fire. Everyone wants the 2nd coming of Bobby Bowden there-fans, players, board, local government. It's a near impossible legacy to try to recapture. Taggart should have had it easy there...and just hasn't and just can't figure out the combo of things to make it work. And Taggart is an overall good guy who I don't think will sell out to recruit the questionable character guys that made Bowden successful.

I think you misunderstand what drives Gus and what appeals to him. There's a reason he came here from Arkansas. There's a reason he went to Arkansas State as a HC over staying as the OC at Auburn. There's a reason why a place like Tulsa could be more appealing than going to a place like Florida State for him.

Taggart is just a terrible coach and always has been. He's an above average recruiter though.

As for Malzahn. I just don't see our appeal to him. Maybe he really likes the sweet boogie tunes of Woodie Guthrie? What appeals to him is $$$$ and an ability to win at a high level and to do it his way. I don't think he'll be hurting for options if he is forced out of Auburn. I can't believe you really think that we're going to have a better offer for him than the other 50 or so schools that would gladly take him over their guy.

Let's be realistic. If he's out at Auburn I'd be surprised if Arkansas doesn't offer him the entire state treasury to replace the refuse they have under Morris

Last edited:
Reactions: TUMe and Gmoney4WW
If you hire a defensive coordinator for a head coach , they have to hire an OC instead of trying to do everything themselves. That worked for OU and should for us in the future.

Gragg doesn't have the ability to admit mistakes. His career at TU has been a disaster. He has done nothing right and can't point to one positive. He's taken TU athletics in a negative direction every step of the way. He won't fire Montgomery because he can't be wrong. His ego gets in the way. So, sorry, Monty isn't going anywhere.

Who makes the best hire?
P5 fired hc
Highschool hc
NFL assistant
Elevate from within
D1 assistant
Recycle a former coach

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT