ADVERTISEMENT

When did Tulsa wear these helmets?

May 2, 2020
And did they only used them once?

thumbnail.asp
image_2e6b6ef1-a3bf-4b3e-8ea6-52cf382d3d2f_795x700.png

Yeah, the top one was the homecoming helmet from his first year. We went from the Center T helmet under graham that got us national attention to that thing. Should have seen the program slide coming in hindsight now. It was pretty cool looking if you were really up close. Those are actually supposed to be little hurricane swirls, but the color screamed soft. As a late 80’s grad, I dig the acid wash look though ...

Reactions: TulsaAM
I really liked the Chrome Dome gold helmets, but we stunk so bad when we wore them that most people were glad to see them go.

The chrome helmets were so reflective you couldn't hardly see the script on the side. I much prefer the solid gold.

Thank you Mr. Harmon, for the :"action" photos of Trey Watts doing his thing. I especially liked that stiff-arm to the grill of a hapless UAB LB.

Reactions: Chris Harmon
The white helmets were awesome. Simple and classic look. The ride strip comprised of interlocking hurricane flags the modern touch to that helmet. Maybe my next favorite of the non-classic look are these:

images

And these are TU's best and most classic:
tulsa-golden-hurricane-football-helmet-e1497304598359.jpg

Reactions: TulsaAM and TU1NNJ
The white helmets were awesome. Simple and classic look. The ride strip comprised of interlocking hurricane flags the modern touch to that helmet. Maybe my next favorite of the non-classic look are these:

images

And these are TU's best and most classic:
tulsa-golden-hurricane-football-helmet-e1497304598359.jpg
Take the TG center stripe off the Gold helmet and get stickers for the right side of the black helmet so the flags are flying the right direction on both sides and I wouldn’t have them wear anything else.

Reactions: quincy101
Take the TG center stripe off the Gold helmet and get stickers for the right side of the black helmet so the flags are flying the right direction on both sides and I wouldn’t have them wear anything else.
The blue and red stripe on the gold helmet isn't all that offensive to me nor does it take away IMO. I do like the classic gold with script Tulsa as well. There is something to be said for clean and neat which the ones you describe, are. Sort of like the classic Notre Dame helmet. Just gold...and everyone knows who they belong to.

I was just giving you a hard time. ;)
I can't tell sarcasm anymore...I don't know what day of the week it is. My dining room table has gotten more use in the last 6 weeks than it has in the last 6 years (I'm using it as my home office while I let my kids use the actual office for schoolwork).

Reactions: Weatherdemon
Trey Watts will, of course, always be known for one of the greatest as well as smartest plays in TU football history. But I always thought he was an underrated RB for us. Not quite as fast as Shamari Brooks, nor not quite the thump of Corey Taylor-but a good combination of the two. (Sorry about change of topic. If it bothers you, please blame Chris Harmon. He started it by featuring TW as the model for those old helmets).

cursive TULSA since 1977...might be time to change it up a bit.

I like the black and/or the gold with nothing on them. I like our royal blue colored unis...

but we've had fourteen colors of blue and ten colors of gold in my rememberance.

cursive TULSA since 1977...might be time to change it up a bit.

I like the black and/or the gold with nothing on them. I like our royal blue colored unis...

but we've had fourteen colors of blue and ten colors of gold in my rememberance.
That's the logo and it needs to stick around. You can't keep changing your logos and hope to create a brand people recognize. As for the blue, the official colors have not changes in a long time...the only things that have changes is where/who we get our uniforms from. All of their processes are just a little bit different, their hues just a bit different so you end up with weird color blues.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I still say the Red uniform is my favorite. I think next best would be a graphite gray uniform with blue lettering and red belts, TU flag small on right chest. Graphite gray helms with cursive Tulsa in blue with gold outline.

When all we really want is this uniform:
eIMG_5597.jpg
These are nice BUT the original reds when Rader unleashed them ('96?) were something special because I don't think anyone in the stadium knew they were coming. The team wore regular blue jerseys for the pre-game that day and they came out of the locker room to the sirens in the reds. And they were plain jane red jerseys with white numbers. No other colors on them. They looked like they had been in moth balls for 25 years. One of the best games I ever saw one of Rader's teams play (I didn't get to TU until Fall 1992 so I didn't see the Freedom Bowl team play).

Wasn't that Wyoming, the last (home) game of that season? Whoever it was, they got hammered by the red jerseys.

They wore them for Homecoming 1995 and drilled Wyoming, probably by 35 or more points. Somebody can go check.

Rader brought them back for the last home game of 1996 against TCU hoping for a win and a chance at a winning season. We lost and it wasn’t close.

We beat UTEP the following week on the road and then lost to Rice by 40 points or so to the end season.

I was ready for a change then and wasn’t really aware of the extent of the academic meddling. It’s also why I haven’t really engaged in Rice bashing on here to any great extent.

Our school colors look amazing on a background of graphite grey. You want to modernize our look, don’t touch the traditional logo (which screams collegiate look, as it should) just put it on graphite grey.

I’ve always wanted helmets that have the script Tulsa without the background flags on one side, while on the other side were the hurricane flags without the script.

Our school colors look amazing on a background of graphite grey. You want to modernize our look, don’t touch the traditional logo (which screams collegiate look, as it should) just put it on graphite grey.

I’ve always wanted helmets that have the script Tulsa without the background flags on one side, while on the other side were the hurricane flags without the script.
Can we please stop introducing new color alternates. We already have Blue, Gold, Red and the home whites. Then we added black for no reason. And now we want to add grey. Why not just work with what we have? Look at ND. They have their shamrock series game each season but even those shamrock jerseys never stray away from blue, gold, green, or white.

Can we please stop introducing new color alternates. We already have Blue, Gold, Red and the home whites. Then we added black for no reason. And now we want to add grey. Why not just work with what we have?.
Because some of our uniforms look like practice jerseys.

Reactions: HuffyCane
They wore them for Homecoming 1995 and drilled Wyoming, probably by 35 or more points. Somebody can go check.

Rader brought them back for the last home game of 1996 against TCU hoping for a win and a chance at a winning season. We lost and it wasn’t close.

We beat UTEP the following week on the road and then lost to Rice by 40 points or so to the end season.

I was ready for a change then and wasn’t really aware of the extent of the academic meddling. It’s also why I haven’t really engaged in Rice bashing on here to any great extent.
That's the game...I knew it was in that time frame. Smacked the hell out of the Cowboys that day.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Technically, white is the reflection of all light and absence of all color. Black is the result of all light being absorbed.
I'm just classifying white, black, and grey as jersey colors because they're used as primary / secondary jersey pigments by teams like Cincy, Memphis, UNLV, Nevada, SDSU, etc....

Reactions: TU_BLA
I'm just classifying white, black, and grey as jersey colors because they're used as primary / secondary jersey pigments by teams like Cincy, Memphis, UNLV, Nevada, SDSU, etc....
I'm just being snarky and replying to whoever said "White is a color". I really don't care what we wear as long as we can win. We all have preferences to our favorite TU uni combinations but in the end we could wear pink with hippie flowers on the side of the helmets and I wouldn't care if we were winning more games than we lost.

I'm just being snarky and replying to whoever said "White is a color". I really don't care what we wear as long as we can win. We all have preferences to our favorite TU uni combinations but in the end we could wear pink with hippie flowers on the side of the helmets and I wouldn't care if we were winning more games than we lost.
Honestly, that sounds like something Todd Graham might do at Hawaii in October.

Honestly, that sounds like something Todd Graham might do at Hawaii in October.
I could honestly see Graham doing a military/armed forced tribute and wearing the battle-ship numbers that were sunk/destroyed at Pearl Harbor on the sides of the helmets. If they haven't done it already, why not? The stadium sits right across the entry access road to the Pearl Harbor Museum site. A camera at the right angle at the top of the stadium would easily capture the Arizona Memorial, Ford Island, etc. Diamond Head could also be a silhouette on there that would be recognizable (although the campus sits much closer to the Punchbowl crater). And it wouldn't be above Graham to bring back the rainbow warrior helmets on occasion. I hate June Jones for destroying that for Hawai'i.

Those are gravesites. No way that happens.
Pearl Harbor and the battleship row yes....Punchbowl is a military cemetery as well with a monument to those who died in the Pacific WWII theater akin to the Vietnam War Memorial. At the southern lip of Punchbowl there is a spectacular view of downtown Honolulu, Diamondhead, Waikiki, Pearl Harbor to the west. You can see a ton from up there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT