ADVERTISEMENT

Went to a pro soccer game last nigt

chito_and_leon

I.T.S. Head Coach
Dec 5, 2003
Soccer fans like to drink beer. Surprised at the dismayingly low hottie to chunk ratio. The Dallas team sucks. Surprised at how small their players are. And how rough the play. Overall a very sterile feeling game. Saw Stanford's women's team play a while back and it was much more entertaining. The local team is building a new stadium. I can't imagine a US city with a pro soccer stadium but I imagine itll be small. The game had the feel of a Double A baseball game, tho the place they play now is a dump. Will probably be much better with a new place. The go to attire of MLS support staff is the wrinkled, slightly too large Euro trash suit.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

When the Roughnecks were here there was magic in the air. 30,000 at Skelly and playing the New York Cosmos, LA, etc. And we were very competitive, winning the championship.

We saw players like Frans Beckenbauer the great German midfielder, Carlos Alberto, and Giorgio Chinaglia, who rumor has it was snuck out of Italy at night. If any of those are spelled wrong sue me. Tulsa played long pass British style soccer, especially since most of the players were from the Brittish Isles. Youth soccer and Pro Soccer fed on each other.

Skelly being narrower than a traditional soccer pitch, action was quick and interesting on corner kicks. We even had our own list of characters like the World Famous Getty Gorrilla with his stuffed baby. And I can't forget Crazy George...no matter how hard I try. Playing in the Summer most of us spent the groceries and half the rent on beer.

This post was edited on 10/1 8:43 AM by TUMe

This post was edited on 10/1 2:40 PM by TUMe

Originally posted by chito_and_leon:

I can't imagine a US city with a pro soccer stadium but I imagine itll be small.
chito, I take it you went to the Dallas @ San Jose game? 3-3 tie?

I believe the Home Depot Center in LA has the largest capacity in MLS at 27,000. The new Earthquakes stadium is supposed to seat about 18,000. Vancouver has proposed a new stadium for the Whitecaps that may be closer to 30k.

There are currently 13 soccer-specific pro stadiums in MLS with two more on the way. I'd say average seating capacity is about 20k. Then there are a bunch of smaller pro soccer stadiums in the US for the NASL and USL leagues.

That's right Chris. The game was sold out, though it was youth soccer night. San Jose -LA was in a much bigger local stadium and I think sold out...there was a lot of energy in the current stadium even though the place is a dump. I probably won't go again except for events but I can see why people would.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Buck Shaw Stadium has a pretty decent atmosphere it looks like. I've been really impressed with what SKC has been able to do. Dallas and Houston will never have a rabid following due to the heat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT