ADVERTISEMENT

US Government removing social media posts it views as misinformation ?

However, the definition of “misinformation” and what is good for the health and well being of the people often does. History is full of such stories.
At some point it health and safety can become a question of utility. How many people will be harmed vs how many will be saved. If the side effects of the vaccine kill 100 but save 250 million was it worth it?

In any case that’s why I said the statement has to have all three conditions. It has to prove demonstrably false. If it’s potentially harmful to public safety but true (like disclosing that the government is corrupt) then it should be protected.

Biden Admin now wants to ban those it determines are spreading “misinformation” which criticizes its policies from ALL social media platforms. Hard to believe this is real. Journalist who were once the defenders of free speech and first amendment rights are following right along due to politics. Bizarre.

Reactions: HuffyCane
At some point it health and safety can become a question of utility. How many people will be harmed vs how many will be saved. If the side effects of the vaccine kill 100 but save 250 million was it worth it?

In any case that’s why I said the statement has to have all three conditions. It has to prove demonstrably false. If it’s potentially harmful to public safety but true (like disclosing that the government is corrupt) then it should be protected.

I assume Hitler would have said those conditions were met regarding people speaking out against his Jewish policy. Often once we discover the governments assertion the speech was false its too late.

I assume Hitler would have said those conditions were met regarding people speaking out against his Jewish policy. Often once we discover the governments assertion the speech was false its too late.
Speaking out against his Jewish policy did not pose any significant tangible threat to physical safety. Jews weren’t threatening anyone’s life. He might argue that they were for his own selfish purposes, but that’s a high bar to cross.

Isn't there an internet "law" that says if any debate goes on long enough, Hitler will be brought up?

While the general case question being discussed here is interesting and Aston approach seems reasonable, the current situation with Biden doesn't even need Aston's criteria, although it does meet them. What choice does the President's oath leave him? The science and the effects of the vaccines are clear, 600,000+ American deaths are evidence of a clear, present danger, and as far as I can tell the President has not 'ordered' anyone to do anything. He has made a case to private sector businesses to help protect fellow Americans by eliminating false information that is recognized as false worldwide and by a consensus of the scientific community. Countries around the world have taken far more stringent steps than Biden's.

What this Covid debate shares with Hitler's Germany is that the both the claims the against vaccination and the Jews are bogus and serve domestic political goals.

Speaking out against his Jewish policy did not pose any significant tangible threat to physical safety. Jews weren’t threatening anyone’s life. He might argue that they were for his own selfish purposes, but that’s a high bar to cross.
Hitler’s and his minions were claiming the Jews were murderous treacherous thugs responsible for all that is bad in Germany. Reasons which certainly go the the citizens physical safety. He prohibited speech which was critical of this policy. Hitler determined what was fact and what was misinformation. A fact pattern we have seen over and over again from those in power who seek to silence opposition. The truth rarely matters as the banning of speech is meant to silence the same. To be fair, the truth is often what the people in power say it is. Which is why the silencing of those who dare criticize governments is so damn dangerous.

Hitler’s and his minions were claiming the Jews were murderous treacherous thugs responsible for all that is bad in Germany. Reasons which certainly go the the citizens physical safety. He prohibited speech which was critical of this policy. Hitler determined what was fact and what was misinformation. A fact pattern we have seen over and over again from those in power who seek to silence opposition. The truth rarely matters as the banning of speech is meant to silence the same. To be fair, the truth is often what the people in power say it is. Which is why the silencing of those who dare criticize governments is so damn dangerous.
He could not prove his assertions though. That’s the exact point. He was lying.

His early rhetoric would likely have been squashed. It’s unlikely that he would have ever risen to power had his voice been moderated years earlier. I mean, he actually was restricted from giving public addresses for a time. Had Mein Komp been restricted from publishing he probably never becomes famous to impose his restrictions in the first place. Considering he had already been tried and convicted for high treason for the Beer Hall Putsch where 16 people died… I would argue that he should never have been allowed to speak publicly again. He was lucky to have not been hanged.

Last edited:
Isn't there an internet "law" that says if any debate goes on long enough, Hitler will be brought up?

While the general case question being discussed here is interesting and Aston approach seems reasonable, the current situation with Biden doesn't even need Aston's criteria, although it does meet them. What choice does the President's oath leave him? The science and the effects of the vaccines are clear, 600,000+ American deaths are evidence of a clear, present danger, and as far as I can tell the President has not 'ordered' anyone to do anything. He has made a case to private sector businesses to help protect fellow Americans by eliminating false information that is recognized as false worldwide and by a consensus of the scientific community. Countries around the world have taken far more stringent steps than Biden's.

What this Covid debate shares with Hitler's Germany is that the both the claims the against vaccination and the Jews are bogus and serve domestic political goals.
He is telling all social media sites (the way news is spread in 2021) to eliminate people’s ability to criticize their policies based on some subjective “misinformation” standard. Never would I have dreamed we would have posters defending such actions. When the government flags posts for a private media site to remove and then ban the users it becomes a first amendment issue and one of government tyranny.

Right. But he is the one making the policy, spreading the policy and determining if the policy is true . Truth is what he says it is. Sound familiar :).

Right. But he is the one making the policy, spreading the policy and determining if the policy is true . Truth is what he says it is. Sound familiar :).
Truth is what he says it is, only after he’s risen to power through lies and deceit. If he isn’t allowed to come to power due to his lies, then it doesn’t happen. Now someone else probably would have who didn’t blame everything on the Jews (thereby threatening public safety)… but that’s a different problem.

Truth is what he says it is, only after he’s risen to power through lies and deceit. If he isn’t allowed to come to power due to his lies, then it doesn’t happen. Now someone else probably would have who didn’t blame everything on the Jews (thereby threatening public safety)… but that’s a different problem.
Oh…history is replete with tyrants who came to power as “heroes” of the people. Now how many of those were simply lying to obtain power or became tyrannical once power was obtained is up for debate. The ability to silence ones opposition almost always lies with those who have already achieved power. Now if the media and websites gets into the act you suddenly have private or semi private individuals with censorship power. I’m always most fearful of the guys in the tanks though.

Wait, Trump killed 600,000+ people with his actions according to you. Now you say people who don't get vaccinated killed 600,000+ people. Are you saying the 1,200,000 million have died of Covid? You won't even hear of China, where it all started being to blame. Russia is bad we all agree on that, but some people refuse to criticise China. You bend facts which like a gas expands to fit the container. Would you mind saying anything about China?

Wait, Trump killed 600,000+ people with his actions according to you. Now you say people who don't get vaccinated killed 600,000+ people. Are you saying the 1,200,000 million have died of Covid? You won't even hear of China, where it all started being to blame. Russia is bad we all agree on that, but some people refuse to criticise China. You bend facts which like a gas expands to fit the container. Would you mind saying anything about China?
I don't think WATU ever argued that Trump killed 600K people. I did the math on the fraction of excess deaths we had over apples to apples western societies like France & Germany based on per capita numbers. I think I came up with the US having somewhere between 30-50K excess deaths. How many of those Trump might be at least partially responsible for is debatable.

Oh…history is replete with tyrants who came to power as “heroes” of the people. Now how many of those were simply lying to obtain power or became tyrannical once power was obtained is up for debate. The ability to silence ones opposition almost always lies with those who have already achieved power. Now if the media and websites gets into the act you suddenly have private or semi private individuals with censorship power. I’m always most fearful of the guys in the tanks though.
The key is not giving the president or any single party or partisan individual the power to do that. Much like the judiciary, any body examining speech needs to be as independent as possible and they need to have some expectation of objectivity. We have defamation laws where individuals, with a hefty burden of proof, can argue that speech was harmful to their livelihood. The same should be available to groups who are suffering physical danger because of certain types of speech. In fact, speech promoting physical danger to a person or party should probably be the more serious version of prohibited speech.

As far as objectivity goes at the moment, we expect advertisers to want to sell as many widgets as they can, so we trust them to be impartial in their interests of limiting certain types of sponsored speech, even though this is frequently not true because taking a side might make their businesses more profitable.

Or, do you think we should get rid of defamation / libel laws because they inhibit completely free speech?

My question would be isn’t social media owned by a business ? Can’t businesses decide what certain things are put on their website? It’s like Donald Trump, the people that run those sites did not like him, so they took him off of it. Nobody had their rights taken away from that and they aren’t for this either.

I don't think WATU ever argued that Trump killed 600K people. I did the math on the fraction of excess deaths we had over apples to apples western societies like France & Germany based on per capita numbers. I think I came up with the US having somewhere between 30-50K excess deaths.
Agreed. Trump kill not kill 600K people, but there's a solid argument for 300K deaths. Cananda, Australia, and New Zealand had among or the very lowest death rates in the world, and they are western democracies with people who look pretty much like us. They knew they would have to wait for vaccines longer, so they strongly and consistently implemented basic public health procedures. So did Korea, Taiwan, and Japan which had much lower death rates. Asian? Yes, but also liberal democracies and US allies.

Then there is the frustration among Trump's own hand picked advisors. https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...-thousands-of-covid-19-deaths-could-have-been

With those lessons in mind, are we to fault Biden for taking Covid seriously and doing all he can to expand vaccinations while staying within Constitutional limits?

My question would be isn’t social media owned by a business ? Can’t businesses decide what certain things are put on their website? It’s like Donald Trump, the people that run those sites did not like him, so they took him off of it. Nobody had their rights taken away from that and they aren’t for this either.
Yes. However, when the government starts flagging speech and instructing the media site not only to censor said speech but then ask all media sites to ban the poster then those businesses are merely acting as an agent for the government. Especially when the speech being silenced is critical of the government and people being banned across all platforms are those who dare speak out against government policies. You have a first amendment problem and a potential dangerous situation.

so a bakery can't refuse its services, to clients it disagrees with ,

but an internet company can cancel accounts and the WH can be complicit with censoring opponents

I don't think WATU ever argued that Trump killed 600K people. I did the math on the fraction of excess deaths we had over apples to apples western societies like France & Germany based on per capita numbers. I think I came up with the US having somewhere between 30-50K excess deaths. How many of those Trump might be at least partially responsible for is debatable.
He has in the recent past. Now he is backing down to a milder 300k and, of course, not any mention of Wuhan Lab. 300,000. If we support vaccination, as I certainly do, then prompt arrival of new vaccines (actually even new kinds of vaccines) saved lives.

I had a nieghbor die of Covid,this past Winter, and a young distant relative come down a couple of days ago with Covid. Yet we don't keep a running total on Biden, nor should we. The pause in rampent rise in deaths this spring was due to new vaccines, not to Biden or Trump.

Now the virus is mutating and numbers are again rising. Even if it wasn't intentional we all know it started in Wuhan. Yet China does not pick up the mathmatical check for any of it. And they have a defender on this board.

Reactions: noble cane
Fallacy does not depend on which side of the aisle you’re on.
I find it hilarious that a lib wants to talk about fallacy...

One mans rebel is another mans freedom fighter...

History and the truths it tells are written by those who win the wars..

The narrative is shaped by the narrator.. just watch "Maleficent".. it explains the concept very well..

Here's what the President is up against in getting the country vaccinated. How did the Republicans go from taking credit for developing the vaccines to opposing their use? About half of Republicans say they won't be vaccinated.

His early rhetoric would likely have been squashed. It’s unlikely that he would have ever risen to power had his voice been moderated years earlier. I mean, he actually was restricted from giving public addresses for a time. Had Mein Komp been restricted from publishing he probably never becomes famous to impose his restrictions in the first place. Considering he had already been tried and convicted for high treason for the Beer Hall Putsch where 16 people died… I would argue that he should never have been allowed to speak publicly again. He was lucky to have not been hanged.
If Woodrow Wilson minds his own business and stays out of Europe, we never have to worry about any of this discussion. Adolph just becomes another failed artist on the public dole.

so a bakery can't refuse its services, to clients it disagrees with ,

but an internet company can cancel accounts and the WH can be complicit with censoring opponents
The bakery deal was wrong , business should have the right to serve anyone they want and refuse service to anyone , just as a website should have the right as well

I agree
Yes. However, when the government starts flagging speech and instructing the media site not only to censor said speech but then ask all media sites to ban the poster then those businesses are merely acting as an agent for the government. Especially when the speech being silenced is critical of the government and people being banned across all platforms are those who dare speak out against government policies. You have a first amendment problem and a potential dangerous situation.
I do agree that everyone has the right to an opinion , I do believe for the most part you and I are relatively in the middle on things , and agree on a lot of stuff, and I do believe we need to be watching our government very closely because I do believe it is corrupt. On something like Facebook though, I believe that they have the right to censor what they want to censor . Does not mean you and me have to support it though . I have been done with social media and the news for awhile tbh though

Reactions: watu05
I agree

I do agree that everyone has the right to an opinion , I do believe for the most part you and I are relatively in the middle on things , and agree on a lot of stuff, and I do believe we need to be watching our government very closely because I do believe it is corrupt. On something like Facebook though, I believe that they have the right to censor what they want to censor . Does not mean you and me have to support it though . I have been done with social media and the news for awhile tbh though

I don’t disagree with your premise. However, when the government gets involved and begins to use companies like FB as their tool to silence public criticism of their policies and eliminate critics ability to speak out against government actions we no longer simply have a private company acting alone. We have a private company acting as an arm of the federal government to silent dissent among its citizens. Cuba recently shut down its citizens ability to speak out against the current regime. Our government flagging its critics and telling all social media sites to ban said critics is a step in that direction. Everyone should be outraged. This is a clear violation of our first amendment rights imo.

I don’t disagree with your premise. However, when the government gets involved and begins to use companies like FB as their tool to silence public criticism of their policies and eliminate critics ability to speak out against government actions we no longer simply have a private company acting alone. We have a private company acting as an arm of the federal government to silent dissent among its citizens. Cuba recently shut down its citizens ability to speak out against the current regime. Our government flagging its critics and telling all social media sites to ban said critics is a step in that direction. Everyone should be outraged. This is a clear violation of our first amendment rights imo.
One thing is for sure , we have a lot of crooked politicians in Washington

Reactions: lawpoke87
If Woodrow Wilson minds his own business and stays out of Europe, we never have to worry about any of this discussion. Adolph just becomes another failed artist on the public dole.
time to learn to speak Russian. the libs are doing a good job of appeasing the communist.

Last edited:
Less than 300 people died yesterday in the US from Covid. Six times that number died yesterday from obesity. Might I suggest if you’re dead set on trampling our first amendment rights you at least pick a cause which will kill hundreds of thousands more people this year than the one you’re advocating.

Pretty crazy stuff not to mention a slippery slope. Even those who agree such posts are misleading should be alarmed with the government silencing speech based on its sole determination that said speech is not accurate. I seem to recall governments in the not so distant past who silenced those it deemed to be spreading “misinformation”.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. This is no different than Trumps effort to control the media and information dispersion.

No part of the US government should have the ability to block information they feel is in accurate.

Reactions: TUMe
Blocking misinformation opens up the door to blocking information that the government simply doesn't like or is pushing against. It is especially true on social media. It includes acts by people who are not qualified to make that judgement.

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
What government powers have been exercised to block any misinformation?

The thread title is pointedly misleading. What did the "government remove"? Biden has pointed out the obvious (that social media misinformation is killing people) and asked (not demanded or coerced) social media to stop posting that crap. If the government was removing misinformation, I'd condemn it to, but so far no one has posted an example.

OTOH Trump's repeated efforts to intimidate the media, secretly tap into reporters emails and cell phones, and other efforts to stifle accurate reporting have not received the condemnation here that Biden's lawful actions have.

The Biden Admin has stated they are looking for and flagging posts and “asking” FB to delete the same. They have also stated they are seeking to have any posters which “in their opinion” are posting “misinformation” to be banned from all social media sites. The videos are included in this thread. I guess I could have added “and removing peoples ability to have access to social media platforms” to the thread title. Once the government starts actively looking for and flagging speech for the purpose of silencing said speech the action become unlawful not to mention a danger to our democratic system. Speech critical of government policies.

this has the feel of playing a football game in the opponents stadium, the officials are their alums, they have 12 players on the field, we get 10, and the rules change with each play.

The Biden Admin has stated they are looking for and flagging posts and “asking” FB to delete the same. They have also stated they are seeking to have any posters which “in their opinion” are posting “misinformation” to be banned from all social media sites. The videos are included in this thread. I guess I could have added “and removing peoples ability to have access to social media platforms” to the thread title. Once the government starts actively looking for and flagging speech for the purpose of silencing said speech the action become unlawful not to mention a danger to our democratic system. Speech critical of government policies.
I think it’s more dangerous for the government to NOT have to take full responsibility for removing the speech and being able to use these social media companies as shields to subvert the 1st amendment. As I’ve said, I believe a case can be made for certain extraordinary exceptions to the 1st amendment for physical public safety; however, I think there has to be some accountability with whatever agency is pursuing these removals. They each need to be documented and the person making the speech needs to be able to appeal against the request.

They each need to be documented and the person making the speech needs to be able to appeal against the request.
Why can't sites just ignore the request? It is an open request that we all know about. What secrecy or coercion is involved? Actually it has made Biden's actions open for public debate. The request is also based on genuine science with an established public benefit during a public health crisis.

If it were a secret, coercive process based on questionable science and benefit, then it deserves condemnation. But I don't see it here. However.....,

Compare that to Trump's having scientific information removed from government websites; replacing scientists on government regulatory committees with lobbyists; and during the pandemic undermining the CDC's messaging and hiring medical hacks (e.g. Scot Atlas) with no public health experience to undermine public health measures. Add in all the other bogus information that Trump admittedly lied about that is still costing lives.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT