ADVERTISEMENT

UCONN at Tulsa game thread

Cue UCONN fans complaining about how they have to be stuck in a conference with us and travel to Tulsa for a game. Hey UCONN, the Tulsa airport is bigger than the Hartford airport.

Cue UCONN fans complaining about how they have to be stuck in a conference with us and travel to Tulsa for a game. Hey UCONN, the Tulsa airport is bigger than the Hartford airport.

Who cares what they think

Unfortunately the conference cares A LOT about what they think. You can tell by the conference social media posts.

If their complaint is having to actually travel here for a game, there’s nothing we can do to please them. Therefore, we are wasting time worrying about something we have no control over.

By the way, BLA was talking about UCONN fans, not the conference office.

Reactions: 4tu2 and rgw1650
My vocal chords are shot and my hands are sore from pounding the empty chair back on the row in front of me. I had a friend ask me the other day if I thought I was getting too old for this :crap:. I said yeah...but so what?

I'll soothe my vocal chords with beer...and tonight, a shot of Crown Royal. Great win tonight!

You know, it’s interesting to me how the east coast media and fans will never respect our private university in Oklahoma. It’s starting to remind me of UTEP fans never respecting us over the years.

Anywho, as many of you recall, one former president referred to our school of the Harvard of the West. And one of my friends may have worn a shirt that said “Tulsa of the East” at his first day of Harvard Law School.

And that gets me to thinking, since UCONN disrespects us in the same way UTEP did, and since we kind of own them, I’m going to start referring to them as the “UTEP of the North.” I think it works. Both programs have national championships in their very distant history. And you can get oysters in the east coast and mountain oysters in El Paso. I believe both share similar levels of pedigrees in academic excellence.

UTEP of the north!!!!!

You know, it’s interesting to me how the east coast media and fans will never respect our private university in Oklahoma. It’s starting to remind me of UTEP fans never respecting us over the years.

Anywho, as many of you recall, one former president referred to our school of the Harvard of the West. And one of my friends may have worn a shirt that said “Tulsa of the East” at his first day of Harvard Law School.

And that gets me to thinking, since UCONN disrespects us in the same way UTEP did, and since we kind of own them, I’m going to start referring to them as the “UTEP of the North.” I think it works. Both programs have national championships in their very distant history. And you can get oysters in the east coast and mountain oysters in El Paso. I believe both share similar levels of pedigrees in academic excellence.

UTEP of the north!!!!!
And you probably hear the same number of gunshots in Hartford as you do in El Paso.

Their message boards today are full of lolz. All they’re doing is blaming the conference and saying they can’t bring in good players bc of the AAC. Classic. Hahahahah

Reactions: HuffyCane
Their message boards today are full of lolz. All they’re doing is blaming the conference and saying they can’t bring in good players bc of the AAC. Classic. Hahahahah
Funny...we've got 4 teams who are almost shoo-ins for the NCAA tournament and if us or Memphis or SMU can step up, there's a 5th bid possibility. The top 4 are easily better than the PAC 12's top 4 and our middle tier may be better than the PAC12s middle. Only team that is an absolute dreg this year is Tulane. Even ECU is playing tough against good teams. For 4 years we thought the problem with UCONN was the coach. Hurley comes in and they are playing better all around but they still have some serious depth issues and I'm not seeing any semblance of an actual game plan in terms of offense or defense. Their offense is "let's see if Adams, Vital, and Gilbert can find a hole and create a shot". There were only a couple of instances in which they seemed to run a play and move the ball around last night to create an open look.

I think Hurley is going to get them back to being relevant but it is clear that the players Ollie brought in just don't have it. (And for every UCONN fan that throws in they won an NCAA Championship 6 years ago...counter with Kemba Walker won an NCAA Championship 6 years ago. The rest of that team was nothing special).

UTEP south had the same problem many years before. It’s really a tragedy when these blue blood programs like UTEP north and south both struggle to maintain the excellence because of conference affiliation and bad oysters.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Hurley apologized to the school and his players. His post game comments included a statement that “Tulsa kicked our butts” regardless of the officiating. He acknowledged that he left the box after the first T and was warned to return to his box. He admitted that the rules require a second T for leaving the box regardless of why but felt any one would view it as over reacting.

The Hartford paper made a jab about the crowd but had a similar take.

You’d never get either out of a UTEP or UCF coach or local rag.

Hurley apologized to the school and his players. His post game comments included a statement that “Tulsa kicked our butts” regardless of the officiating. He acknowledged that he left the box after the first T and was warned to return to his box. He admitted that the rules require a second T for leaving the box regardless of why but felt any one would view it as over reacting.

The Hartford paper made a jab about the crowd but had a similar take.

You’d never get either out of a UTEP or UCF coach or local rag.

You won’t find anyone in the UTEP south academic hall of fame either. The El Paso paper would want to talk about Wojcik’s brother some more.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
I’ll take it to. Would rather have had a 9-pt win... Do the players not know that margin of victory matters? Joiner should be at least mildly contesting that 3-pointer at the end.
Joiner didn't even mildly defend anything in the last 2 minutes. I would love to see Jackson get Joiner's minutes. I think their would be improvement on both sides of the ball for the team.

Didn't utep win their championship when they were Texas Western....
Technically since they changed their name to UTEP, they haven't won anything...

I was happy for Jackson, he is athletic and has the ability to stay in front of his man.

However, he is a very poor outside shooter and unreliable ball handler.

Joiner is a substantially better player.

Joiner didn't even mildly defend anything in the last 2 minutes. I would love to see Jackson get Joiner's minutes. I think their would be improvement on both sides of the ball for the team.
It wasn't just Jackson...no one defended anything in the last 2 minutes and I think it was a firm "NO FOULS" direction from the bench. Everyone ole'd the UCONN ball handler to the basket. The way you stop that is you put token pressure on the ball handler during the inbounds to slow them down and eat some clock. The 5 seconds it took UCONN to score on 3 consecutive layups was embarrassing strategy.

The logical absurdity of their whining is part of what makes it so hilarious - “ the AAC is such a bad conference that we can’t recruit the players we need to compete with the studs recruited to other AAC schools.” Hold on, what?

The best player in the country for next year has signed with an AAC team.

When UConn loses "the conference is so bad we can't recruit" and "we can't win in this conference." May I suggest that UConn consider a move to the Colonial - more regional rivalries and more Ws against teams with similar talent levels.

When UConn loses "the conference is so bad we can't recruit" and "we can't win in this conference." May I suggest that UConn consider a move to the Colonial - more regional rivalries and more Ws against teams with similar talent levels.
The A-10 would be a better fit for them and create a natural rivalry with URI and UMASS. They can still play in Philly against LaSalle and St. Joe's, and games in NYC against Fordham. Bet UCONN fans would love that biannual trip to Dayton as well...for a regular season game against the Flyers.

I started this post jokingly....but now that I think about it, it actually makes sense for UCONN. They could drop their football to indy status and be with like minded schools as most of the A-10, if they play football, do it at the FCS level.

Reactions: nevadanatural
I was happy for Jackson, he is athletic and has the ability to stay in front of his man.

However, he is a very poor outside shooter and unreliable ball handler.

Joiner is a substantially better player.
He was a bit more careful with the ball Wednesday. Hopeful sign.

Not much hope with his shooting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT