ADVERTISEMENT

U2

Seriously jealous. Saw video on FB of Bono repeatedly yelling “Tulsa!” Which seemed pretty strange. I wonder if they even remember playing Tulsa 35 years ago.

On that note, is it me or has Bono crossed that threshold to where he looks like Ozzy in his early reality tv days ?

Seriously jealous. Saw video on FB of Bono repeatedly yelling “Tulsa!” Which seemed pretty strange. I wonder if they even remember playing Tulsa 35 years ago.

On that note, is it me or has Bono crossed that threshold to where he looks like Ozzy in his early reality tv days ?
Actually he reference both the Brady Theater show and a show they did at Cain's. I can only imagine what a U2 show at Cain's was like. That place is cool by itself...add U2 to that

People remember playing at the Cain's. It's got a lot of notoriety cuz of it's history with Bob Wills, the Sex Pistols and also that early U2 show. The layout is memorable as well. It's history is enough to make some large venues jealous, that is if a venue could be jealous. A whole lot of acts played there right before they broke, because of the size factor.

Mrs. the Blue Ox is a big fan so we've travelled all over the region to see them perform. It was nice to finally have a home game so to speak.

We lined up in the GA line about 2 hours before show time and ended up about 5-6 feet from the main stage. Some of the fans just in front of us had been waiting for a few days just to get a little closer to the group. We met some superfans that had been to between 35-100 shows.

On a side note, the BOK Center needs some way to handle big crowds better. Too many people and not enough doors. U2 had to wait over 30 minutes to take the stage due to the crowd still filing in at show time.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I went as well. Great show. The acoustic version of Sunday, Bloody Sunday with Larry Mullens Jr. only playing a concert snare on a harness was pretty cool.

The story there is that Larry has a bad back and can't sit at the kit for too long without being in pain. He has to get up and move around a little bit during the show to stretch out. He's been doing the walking snare bit for as long as we've been seeing them perform.

Mrs. the Blue Ox is a big fan so we've travelled all over the region to see them perform. It was nice to finally have a home game so to speak.

We lined up in the GA line about 2 hours before show time and ended up about 5-6 feet from the main stage. Some of the fans just in front of us had been waiting for a few days just to get a little closer to the group. We met some superfans that had been to between 35-100 shows.

On a side note, the BOK Center needs some way to handle big crowds better. Too many people and not enough doors. U2 had to wait over 30 minutes to take the stage due to the crowd still filing in at show time.

They designed that thing after 9/11 and somehow weren’t ready for all the changes. It’s been good for Tulsa, but I’m not a big fan of the venue.

We are so spoiled by Cain’s. People should use it more. There are so many ridiculous things that come through, even after they make it big. I miss the days before that neighborhood became semi-gentrified and I suspect it will get worse.

Brady needs a kick in the arse like Cain’s got 15 years ago. Bathrooms are awful and not designed for the amount of beer they sell these days. Something doesn’t always translate well over there. The crowds want a Cain’s show and the place isn’t really set up for that. Unless it’s something mellow, I don’t get very excited about it.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
The story there is that Larry has a bad back and can't sit at the kit for too long without being in pain. He has to get up and move around a little bit during the show to stretch out. He's been doing the walking snare bit for as long as we've been seeing them perform.
From a musical perspective, he is a true artist. A lot of guys can string together some set runs and stuff, but I especially like his use of muffled mallets on some songs to produce a little different timbre. The bongos were a good touch as well.

It’s worse than Skelly. Way worse. One men’s room for a place that seats 2,000+. Don’t know why you’d even bring it up.

They designed that thing after 9/11 and somehow weren’t ready for all the changes. It’s been good for Tulsa, but I’m not a big fan of the venue.

We are so spoiled by Cain’s. People should use it more. There are so many ridiculous things that come through, even after they make it big. I miss the days before that neighborhood became semi-gentrified and I suspect it will get worse.

Brady needs a kick in the arse like Cain’s got 15 years ago. Bathrooms are awful and not designed for the amount of beer they sell these days. Something doesn’t always translate well over there. The crowds want a Cain’s show and the place isn’t really set up for that. Unless it’s something mellow, I don’t get very excited about it.

The last time I was in the Brady, I watched Adam Ant take a swim onstage in a portable pool during his show. Weird concerts back in the '80s.

Reactions: drboobay
I hope those knuckleheads were starin' down the barrel of white south Tulsa! Did I boog ya? I didn't mean ta boog ya!

The last time I was in the Brady, I watched Adam Ant take a swim onstage in a portable pool during his show. Weird concerts back in the '80s.
Yep, great show actually and a lost a good bit of my hearing there. We were right in front of the speakers stage left. His Cain's show in the mid 90s was also great.

I was at the 1983 Brady u2 show.

Tulsa World had an interesting article about the green rooms and amenities for performers at BOK. One space is devoted to Cain's. Others are designed with other Tulsa music history.

Yep, great show actually and a lost a good bit of my hearing there. We were right in front of the speakers stage left. His Cain's show in the mid 90s was also great.

I was at the 1983 Brady u2 show.

Tulsa World had an interesting article about the green rooms and amenities for performers at BOK. One space is devoted to Cain's. Others are designed with other Tulsa music history.
I'm hoping other Tulsa music history includes heavy notations on the Nine of Cups.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT