ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa Mayoral Election Primary

drboobay

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Fascinating result tonight. The theocracy candidate finishes third and out of the runoff. The two remaining candidates would both be good options IMO. Our TU football alum got the most votes including mine. Razor thin margins all around.

Reactions: TU 1978
Interesting electorate in the city too. Close split R and D with plenty of I.

Low turnout today.

Interesting that nearly 275 votes were all that separated 1st & 2nd place. Probably the closest mayoral race in many years. That says something that Monroe Nichols ran a grass roots campaign, and beat Karen Keith by a few hundred votes with her name recognition.

Reactions: drboobay
Monroe has been a good state representative for my district. He is responsive and connects well with people. I hope he wins.

That said, I suspect Keith has the edge grabbing the Vannorman voters.

Keith seems like a nice person and I would see her mayoral tenure as kind of a caretaker role. I think she would be a consensus builder. But I don't know if we would get big and bold.

Monroe worked his house district like crazy to get out the vote. My neighbor held a "come meet Monroe" event at a brewery on sixth street last week. They canvassed the neighborhood encouraging votes and signs. He seems like a bolder leader, which is why I prefer him. Plus he supports my pet project with actions - which is passenger rail for Tulsa (which is obviously not a main piller of his campaign, but still...).

We are about to enter a phase where other cities will be bounding past us with updated public facilities like arenas, convention hotels, stadiums. We need a mayor willing to take risks - and working collaboratively with the tribes could help. That's alongside making real headway on homelessness, which he is promoting as part of his campaign.

The Oklahoma Democratic Party has much more to worry about than Keith’s consultant having access to party information. I don’t believe that excuse for a minute btw. It’s a ploy to give Monroe an advantage in the race. I predict this move will backfire and motivate VanNorman voters to vote for Keith as it paints her as the non Democratic Party establishment candidate.

The Oklahoma Democratic Party has much more to worry about than Keith’s consultant having access to party information. I don’t believe that excuse for a minute btw. It’s a ploy to give Monroe an advantage in the race. I predict this move will backfire and motivate VanNorman voters to vote for Keith as it paints her as the non Democratic Party establishment candidate.
Yep. They are stupid.

I visited with a friend on the police force, he had good things to say about Keith and Monroe.

However, he believed overall that Monroe was the better candidate on what he believed were some very key issues.

Reactions: TU 1978
I visited with a friend on the police force, he had good things to say about Keith and Monroe.

However, he believed overall that Monroe was the better candidate on what he believed were some very key issues.
Not following endorsement of Keith from the Tulsa FOP I see.

Feel like Monroe is missing a huge opportunity here by not demanding the state Democratic Party to provide Keith the same resources as far as data as they’ve provided him. Such a move would certainly earn him votes imo.

Has anyone seen any polling for the two way matchup ?
No, but I don't know that I would trust it if I saw it. Polling in the first election showed Keith getting 46%, and Van Norman and Nichols getting much less. Obviously they had a bunch of people who were not going to vote, paid little attention to the candidate's, and just recognized Kieth's name.

No, but I don't know that I would trust it if I saw it. Polling in the first election showed Keith getting 46%, and Van Norman and Nichols getting much less. Obviously they had a bunch of people who were not going to vote, paid little attention to the candidate's, and just recognized Kieth's name.
Agree. Local polling companies tend to be awful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT