ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa Football - Summer Position Analysis: Wide Receivers

There were moments last year that I thought Stewart should have been playing over Hobbs. Stewart showed a nose for the football and wasn't afraid to get in the mixer and go up for a ball. But he's the type of WR that the QB has to trust will go up and get the ball. I think Skipper and Boomer last year both showed signs that they weren't completely confident the outside guys would fight for every ball which caused a lot of late throws, over throws, and just getting rid of the ball. Because this offense is about timing on the quick stuff, any hesitation is going to be a disaster. I think Smith already knows that and will get rid of the ball quickly which makes it important for each WR to run the route they're supposed to run with some crispness and not take plays off. I think the way we had WRs running lazy routes or no routes tipped the defense some.

There were moments last year that I thought Stewart should have been playing over Hobbs. Stewart showed a nose for the football and wasn't afraid to get in the mixer and go up for a ball. But he's the type of WR that the QB has to trust will go up and get the ball. I think Skipper and Boomer last year both showed signs that they weren't completely confident the outside guys would fight for every ball which caused a lot of late throws, over throws, and just getting rid of the ball. Because this offense is about timing on the quick stuff, any hesitation is going to be a disaster. I think Smith already knows that and will get rid of the ball quickly which makes it important for each WR to run the route they're supposed to run with some crispness and not take plays off. I think the way we had WRs running lazy routes or no routes tipped the defense some.

Everything above sits at the feet of our WR coach. I NEVER saw him get in the middle of a WR not doing their job, and there were plenty of opportunities where it would have been warranted.

Nice article Larry. I appreciate your stories and like Huffy, the WR’s give me some hope.

Thanks, Bill. I can't think of a good Tulsa team that didnt have good receivers. Even Cooper's teams that ran most of the time had future pro receivers like Rockey Watts, Paul Johns, Kirk Phillips, and David Hersey TE).

Besides Stokes needing to come through, so do Johnson, Stewart, and Crawford. Obviously, better QB play will help.

Thanks, Bill. I can't think of a good Tulsa team that didnt have good receivers. Even Cooper's teams that ran most of the time had future pro receivers like Rockey Watts, Paul Johns, Kirk Phillips, and David Hersey TE).

Besides Stokes needing to come through, so do Johnson, Stewart, and Crawford. Obviously, better QB play will help.
I’ve never understood why Johns does not get more attention/recognition from TU and TU fans. The guy had an incredible career. Maybe not big on stats, but big big big catches at critical times. If he had not played in the shadow of Largent at Seattle he might have been an all pro. Iirc, he still works for the club.

It's too bad his career with Seattle was cut short to to a neck issue. It was fun having both starting receivers for Seattle in 83 AFC Championship game be from TU. As well as a starting offensive tackle in Steve August TU football's last 1st round pick.

Reactions: HuffyCane
It's too bad his career with Seattle was cut short to to a neck issue. It was fun having both starting receivers for Seattle in 83 AFC Championship game be from TU. As well as a starting offensive tackle in Steve August TU football's last 1st round pick.
Don’t forget Gene Williams in the starting lineup at nickel back on the other side of the ball — until he broke his tibia.

Good memory. Williams and Don Blackmon were starting defensive ends together at TU in its 5-2 alignment. Blackmon, an All-American, also has been a NFL defensive coordinator after a really good career with the Pats. Played in a Super Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT