ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa at Navy Offical Thread

Maybe you could change this to an Official thread. Otherwise bad ju-ju awaits.

Tulsa 35 Navy 17. Tulsa holds Navy to under 250 total yards as they control the run unlike we've ever done. Tulsa runs for 225 yds and 4 TDs on the ground. Smith connects on a long pass for one TD and a pretty pedestrian 225 yds through the air.

As long as Monty is coach, no game can be taken lightly. I feel a little better this year than in past years just because it appears our defense can get a big stop when needed. We do need to do a better job of getting players to understand how to keep their emotions in check. I did like that Mullins got yanked for a few plays right after his unnecessary roughness penalty.

As long as Monty is coach, no game can be taken lightly. I feel a little better this year than in past years just because it appears our defense can get a big stop when needed. We do need to do a better job of getting players to understand how to keep their emotions in check. I did like that Mullins got yanked for a few plays right after his unnecessary roughness penalty.

This has been one of my biggest issues with his teams discipline.
I don't mind guys being hyped and having attitude but, we tend to trash talk when we shouldn't and have way too many late hits.

I was way off with my prediction last week. The defense was pretty banged up but even so...we should have had a better showing than we did. Cause for a little concern in my opinion... Navy has always had our number, I believe our one win against them was an overtime game. Discipline seems to be a weak point on defense (trash talk, frustration) and Navy has the type of offense that will frustrate the crap out of you (get you out of position and chop blocks). I can see how defense getting a few personal foul penalties. I am going to say...
Tulsa 38
Navy 31

Reactions: HuffyCane
TU 24
Refs 7
Swabbos 17

Tulsa wins 31-17

Bonus prediction: Santana gets dejected and then ejected.

Bonus complaint: Why does Navy get to let their students attend, but no other member of the public can attend. We live in ridiculous times.

TU 24
Refs 7
Swabbos 17

Tulsa wins 31-17

Bonus complaint: Why does Navy get to let their students attend, but no other member of the public can attend. We live in ridiculous times.
Shoot. If enough players go down Navy can pull "students" out of the stands to play if they need to. It's happened before, and that was in a normal year! lol

Not until after SMU, if you believe in that sort of stuff. They have no reason to take us down a peg if two ranked teams could be playing the following week. If there’s a pro wrestling fix in, it will happen against SMOO.
Tulsa’s defense has never had a clue against Navy. Hopefully with Malcolm Perry gone we go up there and play well,

Tulsa’s defense has never had a clue against Navy. Hopefully with Malcolm Perry gone we go up there and play well,
Yes, we are some what generous in our assessment of Gillespie’s genius, aren’t we? Half of Monty’s wins are come from behind victories of more than 14 points.

The popular myth is that we discovered this hidden gem in Hominy. And it was the genius of Gillespie who struck gold. The reality is that we knew of the player, but so did a lot of other people. Nobody offered. We only offered after he went to an open tryout in Tyler, Texas and everybody else passed. We had no idea where to play him, but then his growth shot up and we put him at LB. A position he is still learning. Which is a great credit to his athleticism.

And having the best players improves a coach’s reputation, doesn’t it?

We will see what Gillespie has really got over the next four games. He needs to win two of them at least to get us bowl eligible. (Yes I know there’s technically no minimum this year, but I think most reasonable people would conclude a school like Tulsa needs a winning record and deep down do you think going to the Frisco Bowl means anything with 4 wins?). And the nagging nature of foot injuries means he/we may have to do it without our most impactful player.

Last edited:
TU 24
Refs 7
Swabbos 17

Tulsa wins 31-17

Because they're quarantined on a base with access to testing. The academy also can order their cadets/midshipmen/students to do things like wear a mask, distance, etc. and you're gonna be 97% sure they're going to follow the orders as given because there's a bigger consequence for not following orders at an academy. It's a way to control the environment and limit spread. If only the rest of the country would follow their lead

We actually did through most of the 1Q last year. We did a really good job of stuffing them. That game turned on a dime with the ridiculous WR stepped OB call that was inconclusive, at best, on replay. That took away a 99 yard TD catch and run. It also completely changed the momentum of that game....instead of being up 10-0, we were up 3-0 and punting from our own end zone. That singular moment deflated the team and it's energy and momentum. There are few singular instances I can say changed games completely. Even fewer that change games in the 1Q. This is one of them. TU was noticeably different after that play.

Because they're quarantined on a base with access to testing. The academy also can order their cadets/midshipmen/students to do things like wear a mask, distance, etc. and you're gonna be 97% sure they're going to follow the orders as given because there's a bigger consequence for not following orders at an academy. It's a way to control the environment and limit spread. If only the rest of the country would follow their lead
I know the science and protocol. I was talking about the competitive advantage of having 3,000 students in the stands doing organized cheers in an empty stadium and prohibiting similarly quarantined personnel from the other team.

I’m glad you are honest about wanting to run America like a military base.

Reactions: TULOYAL
We actually did through most of the 1Q last year. We did a really good job of stuffing them. That game turned on a dime with the ridiculous WR stepped OB call that was inconclusive, at best, on replay. That took away a 99 yard TD catch and run. It also completely changed the momentum of that game....instead of being up 10-0, we were up 3-0 and punting from our own end zone. That singular moment deflated the team and it's energy and momentum. There are few singular instances I can say changed games completely. Even fewer that change games in the 1Q. This is one of them. TU was noticeably different after that play.
If one play deflates your team, you likely weren’t going to win anyway.

I know the science and protocol. I was talking about the competitive advantage of having 3,000 students in the stands doing organized cheers in an empty stadium and prohibiting similarly quarantined personnel from the other team.

I’m glad you are honest about wanting to run America like a military base.
Not really, just admitting that the "personal responsibility" approach doesn't work if everyone doesn't buy in. That's why Oklahoma has 1000 hospital beds tied up, is routinely top 10 in test positivity rate, and # of cases despite having like the 30 highest population. At least Stitt can claim the state is top ten in something because it's not in any of the good things to be top 10 in.

Reactions: TU 1978
Navy 24,
Tulsa 17
Our lack of discipline will come back and bite us against one of the most disciplined teams in the country.

Reactions: TULOYAL
I can see TU with 10 penalties for >100 yds and some of them at critical times. I can see Navy getting away with penalties all day long, especially blocking below the waist on a sweep.
TU 28
Navy 31

Honestly, I don’t care if we win this game. I just hope we come out healthy on the line as they dive for our linemen’s knees. I want every player healthy for SMU.

If the Middies throw it as much as they did last week, our back-end will deal with them. If they run it as usual, it's closer but the D handles that too & our O scores just enough to win: TU-34 Swabs-30.

Can it be rescheduled? 19 cases, maybe Navy wants this season over already.

Yet another sign of a bad coach. When you can't maintain your focus and show a lack of mental toughness. Especially so early in a game and while you are ahead.

We got stomped and Navy had their way with us since everyone seems to have forgotten. That thread should be reviewed on here with comments about how crap we were and that Navy broke its road losing streak, etc.

Yes, we are some what generous in our assessment of Gillespie’s genius, aren’t we? Half of Monty’s wins are come from behind victories of more than 14 points.

The popular myth is that we discovered this hidden gem in Hominy. And it was the genius of Gillespie who struck gold. The reality is that we knew of the player, but so did a lot of other people. Nobody offered. We only offered after he went to an open tryout in Tyler, Texas and everybody else passed. We had no idea where to play him, but then his growth shot up and we put him at LB. A position he is still learning. Which is a great credit to his athleticism.

And having the best players improves a coach’s reputation, doesn’t it?

We will see what Gillespie has really got over the next four games. He needs to win two of them at least to get us bowl eligible. (Yes I know there’s technically no minimum this year, but I think most reasonable people would conclude a school like Tulsa needs a winning record and deep down do you think going to the Frisco Bowl means anything with 4 wins?). And the nagging nature of foot injuries means he/we may have to do it without our most impactful player.

What's remarkable to me is our coach setting requirements about size, then overlooking players, that we eventually sign, late and who turn out to be great players.

I will also point out that Collins is grabbing the glory while Mr. Player does the hard work. Not saying Collins is bad, but it's a lot easier to pick between two holes instead of three/four because Player has closed two gaps. It's also a lot easier to make that tackle when the offensive line is busy double or triple teaming a wrecking ball.

Finally I don't remember Gillespie having a genius reputation before coming here, I do remember an offensive guru who came here. Luckily our defense scores regularly or puts our offense in a scoring position every game. While we may have come back from being down by 14, its largely been our offense putting our defense in a hole like it was at UCF.

I'm not sure if Gillespie is a genius, I do know when you compare a competent coach to a bad one the result is often very obvious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT