ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa as a Technology City

Weatherdemon

Sep 11, 2001
Tulsa, OK
Around 10 years ago Tulsa was a tech city with amazing technical talent at every turn... then the .com bust and 9/11 occured.

Most of those technical people, geeks as some say, have bailed the industry or left town.

As an IT Professional who worked my ass for years to get to the level of people that were established at the time it saddens me that those high level individuals in the industry these days are so few and far between in this city.

The technical challenges that were once faced and addressed in under an hour now take hours or days and new implementations are archictected so poorly it takes years and hundreds and thousands of dollars or more to get them where they should have been at implementation.

One of the reasons is the local industry, or moreso business, still believes it has the talent and skillsets to achieve the deadlines of the past when it doesn't.

There are some brilliant IT minds left in Tulsa but they are the exception and not the rule. There is a new breed developing but the people they look up to are fewer and as a whole generally not as talented as those in year past.

Apparently this has reared its ugly head for TPD in someone architecting a solution and missing, as happens a lot these days, one of the most basic elements of IT architecture.
This post was edited on 1/21 9:16 PM by Weatherdemon

Oops! We need processing power for video?

The sad thing is at a basic level that shouldn't be too hard of an implementation. Review the specs of the camera and make sure the laptops are powerful enough to handle it. With so many machines they likely had the laptops built to order. It sounds to me more like a non-IT person handled the ordering.

I do agree there are not enough talent IT individuals in the area. As a young person in the industry it makes me excited at all the opportunities I have though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT