ADVERTISEMENT

Tulane recruiting

Their fans seem just as surprised. They seem to be on the upswing.
Bet their admin sees the benefit of an athletic program that helps represent the university to potential students around the country. I also bet their coaches get a pass on admissions standards for a few kids as well. And there is value in letting a kid in and challenging them academically. If they can't cut it then there's a good chance they would not be able to cut it anywhere balancing football/academics unless they're at a place like SMU where they have secretaries completing coursework and tests, or UNC where players are put into classes that don't really exist.

Bet their admin sees the benefit of an athletic program that helps represent the university to potential students around the country. I also bet their coaches get a pass on admissions standards for a few kids as well. And there is value in letting a kid in and challenging them academically. If they can't cut it then there's a good chance they would not be able to cut it anywhere balancing football/academics unless they're at a place like SMU where they have secretaries completing coursework and tests, or UNC where players are put into classes that don't really exist.

We are our own worst enemy sometimes.

I was feeling generous in this Friday eve.
Yeah. I am thinking that some in charge on purposefully sabotaging the football and basketball teams in this regard to further their own agenda. This is where a strong AD would be useful. A strong AD would have worked tirelessly to save men's golf. Seriously one of the world's best swing coaches is a TU alum. The guy f-cking worked with Tiger Woods and hosted a show for three seasons trying to fix celebrities swings. I'm pretty sure if Gragg gave him a call, Hank Haney would have been able to find 3-4 pros who would have anted up the $ to keep the program going even if they didn't go to TU just so they wouldn't see a program and opportunities in the game lost.

I wonder if Jerry O has any pull in this area or if he is sitting in on any of those areas.

A good men's golf program can be a tremendous asset for an university not to mention result in large donations from it's successful alums. OSU's men's golf program has brought the university more national pub in the last several years than any other of it's athletic programs except for football. Heck...maybe more than football.

Reactions: TU_BLA
A good men's golf program can be a tremendous asset for an university not to mention result in large donations from it's successful alums. OSU's men's golf program has brought the university more national pub in the last several years than any other of it's athletic programs except for football. Heck...maybe more than football.

Yet there are still some on our board and upper admin who would like to see athletics moved down to D3 and drop football.

It’s free college for rich kids nearly all who are white.

It’s free college for rich kids nearly all who are white.

I get it.....it's not PC and thus not supported by a large part of the college admin and faculty. However, it's 4 1/2 scholarships. If you have a successful program, I challenge you to name a sport which provides a better ROI than men's golf. One would think common sense would win out.

I get it.....it's not PC and thus not supported by a large part of the college admin and faculty. However, it's 4 1/2 scholarships. If you have a successful program, I challenge you to name a sport which provides a better ROI than men's golf. One would think common sense would win out.
Because of travel and equipment and greens fees it was one of the more expensive sports on TU’s blotter.

As for your challenge. I’ll see your golf and raise you women’s bowling.

And the next crew of young PGA tour stars all seemingly went to OSU at one point. Wolff and Hovland are freaking studs and have some serious game.

And the next crew of young PGA tour stars all seemingly went to OSU at one point. Wolff and Hovland are freaking studs and have some serious game.
You mention crew, now that's got to be an expensive sport with regard to travel. I know..... we're talking golf, but I was just feeling a bit sassy.

Reactions: HuffyCane
You mention crew, now that's got to be an expensive sport with regard to travel. I know..... we're talking golf, but I was just feeling a bit sassy.
Women’s rowing scholarships are fully endowed and operating is revenue neutral from recurring donations or nearly so if memory serves. Football, basketball and softball eat up a lot of it. As a percentage of cost per player, tennis has to be the winner.

Women’s rowing scholarships are fully endowed and operating is revenue neutral from recurring donations or nearly so if memory serves. Football, basketball and softball eat up a lot of it. As a percentage of cost per player, tennis has to be the winner.
Kevin Harris has developed several key relationships with some $$$ donors to the rowing program that have kept the program strong and that team is usually one of the top 2 or 3 academically every year.

Kevin Harris has developed several key relationships with some $$$ donors to the rowing program that have kept the program strong and that team is usually one of the top 2 or 3 academically every year.
It was Bubba. He’s just been a steady hand on the wheel.

Reactions: TU_BLA
If only rowing weren't PR neutral as well. :) Seriously though, any non-revenue program which operates on a revenue neutral basis is a positive for any university.

If only rowing weren't PR neutral as well. :) Seriously though, any non-revenue program which operates on a revenue neutral basis is a positive for any university.
Which is why there was no objection to bringing back baseball if sufficient fiscal controls were implemented with any seed money to make sure it was revenue neutral.

I am aware, I was just being a smart arse. I bet you are correct with regard to tennis though.

Reactions: HuffyCane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT