ADVERTISEMENT

📝 Larry Lewis TU searches for new coach after Haith resigns

Thank you Larry- great job and well worded comments- you definitely captured my thoughts. Just a name to throw out and understand the feeling of- is Gregg Marshall black-balled or was he given a show-cause penalty of some sort? Not saying he fits TU, just curious.

Reactions: Larry Lewis
Thank you Larry- great job and well worded comments- you definitely captured my thoughts. Just a name to throw out and understand the feeling of- is Gregg Marshall black-balled or was he given a show-cause penalty of some sort? Not saying he fits TU, just curious.
Greg Marshall hurt his players ”feelings” by yelling at them or pushing too hard. Oh my we can’t have
that . He’s a damn good coach who has had success but had the wrong cast of characters who wanted
to be caudled and a daily dose of baby powder.

Greg Marshall hurt his players ”feelings” by yelling at them or pushing too hard. Oh my we can’t have
that . He’s a damn good coach who has had success but had the wrong cast of characters who wanted
to be caudled and a daily dose of baby powder.
Unfortunately, the days of Bobby Knight and those types of coaches are long gone. We've seen it most recently with Todd Graham in Hawaii. With parents out in front of everything and their kid(s) never being subject to any criticism never mind being subjected to the type of mental "abuse" from coaches. Back when we were kids it was called making players mentally tough.

Unfortunately, the days of Bobby Knight and those types of coaches are long gone. We've seen it most recently with Todd Graham in Hawaii. With parents out in front of everything and their kid(s) never being subject to any criticism never mind being subjected to the type of mental "abuse" from coaches. Back when we were kids it was called making players mentally tough.
I disagree that Bobby Knight's style of coaching was ever ok. Nor is that type of behavior ever appropriate in business or government.

I disagree that Bobby Knight's style of coaching was ever ok. Nor is that type of behavior ever appropriate in business or government.
The fact is "tough coaching" has been around far longer than the snowflake coaching we see today. Bear Bryant, Woody Hayes...guys like that would have never lasted today. Bryant may have been charged with some sort of negligence charge the way he treated players, denied them water, and mentally abused them.

The fact is "tough coaching" has been around far longer than the snowflake coaching we see today. Bear Bryant, Woody Hayes...guys like that would have never lasted today. Bryant may have been charged with some sort of negligence charge the way he treated players, denied them water, and mentally abused them.
But it was wrong then and now.

Pushing kids hard is one thing. Calling them out is ok. Physical abuse. No. True verbal abuse and bullying no.

Better to say get with the program or you are gone than to spew a bullying insulting tirade at a player. Firm and tough but keep your emotions in check. And be ready to encourage the kind of behavior you want repeated.

Pushing kids hard is one thing. Calling them out is ok. Physical abuse. No. True verbal abuse and bullying no.

Better to say get with the program or you are gone than to spew a bullying insulting tirade at a player. Firm and tough but keep your emotions in check. And be ready to encourage the kind of behavior you want repeated.
Have you seen what is going on in Kingfisher?

Reactions: eastcane

Yeah, I don't mind yelling at kids when they screw up. A hardass coach is fine by me. And some kids are motivated by yelling generally, so hey, use it if it works.

But physical and mental abuse is a different category than just being a hardass coach. The stuff Wojcik was accused of, for example, crossed a line into emotional abuse. And never should a coach lay a finger on or physically threaten a student athlete.

The stuff about denying water and whatnot... I mean, that would never fly today and for good reason. I know it was common in the 50s and 60s to give a kid a salt pill and send them back out, but it stopped for a reason, much as bloodletting as a medical treatment did. It's not a snowflake thing, it is just a "this is totally counter productive to good conditioning" kind of thing.

I don't know too much about Greg Marshall, but among the allegations were that he punched a player, and choked an assistant coach. If it is credible (and the university at least thought that it was), than that is across the line. And now that that info is public, it would affect recruiting. Who wants to sign up to play for a coach that might punch them if they screw up? He did deny the allegations, but I can understand why he's been radioactive since then.

Reactions: drboobay
Yeah, I don't mind yelling at kids when they screw up. A hardass coach is fine by me. And some kids are motivated by yelling generally, so hey, use it if it works.

But physical and mental abuse is a different category than just being a hardass coach. The stuff Wojcik was accused of, for example, crossed a line into emotional abuse. And never should a coach lay a finger on or physically threaten a student athlete.

The stuff about denying water and whatnot... I mean, that would never fly today and for good reason. I know it was common in the 50s and 60s to give a kid a salt pill and send them back out, but it stopped for a reason, much as bloodletting as a medical treatment did. It's not a snowflake thing, it is just a "this is totally counter productive to good conditioning" kind of thing.

I don't know too much about Greg Marshall, but among the allegations were that he punched a player, and choked an assistant coach. If it is credible (and the university at least thought that it was), than that is across the line. And now that that info is public, it would affect recruiting. Who wants to sign up to play for a coach that might punch them if they screw up? He did deny the allegations, but I can understand why he's been radioactive since then.
Exactly on this. Yelling should be strategic as needed and not because a coach is Naturally unhinged.

Reactions: rusty-c

I’m starting to wonder ( salt pills ) if that is the reason there has been so much heart disease with that age group

Maybe you should have had a conversation with Larry Gibson when he was at Northeastern

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT