ADVERTISEMENT

TU Coaching Candidates

Ever have one of those dreams where you're wildly successful, rich beyond belief, have a gigantic, luxurious mansion on the beach, you're married to the world's 2nd hottest super model and your girlfriend is the 1st hottest super model, and then you wake up and remember that in the real world Janet Levit is still the TU president? Yeah, like that.
I was thinking that Judy MacLeod was still the AD...

Reactions: chito_and_leon
If we hire someone worse than Monty...why fire him. If this is true, those of u that have faith in the current university leadership, will that wane a bit if this happens?
In parliament we could have a vote of "No Confidence"..

If Odom is to be our next coach, then what’s the holdup in announcing that? It’s not like there’s a bowl game he’s waiting to play before he leaves.

Barry Odom = Kieth Burns 2.0
I am done with TU and our pathetic excuse of an AD.
I do agree about Barry Odom , but nothing official has been announced about him being the coach , remember , GJ was a “ favorite “ as well. Just because an article says something does not make it true . I think our AD has done a good job trying to fix the mess Gragg and the previous administration has made. Now, if they do end up hiring Odom, I will agree he is pathetic , but for now , he has my support

Mizzou fan here. I'm a bit surprised by the negativity surrounding Barry Odom as the potential Tulsa coach. I get that he isn't the most inspiring name but from my perspective, I think he would do really well at Tulsa. If he ends up getting the job I can make a longer post with the positives/negatives, etc.

My quick bullet points about his career: Was hired by Justin Fuente as a DC at Memphis and was pretty successful by most accounts. Left to go back to his alma mater to be DC in 2015. Did a really good job and had Mizzou's defense top 10 nationally in several categories but the team ended up 5-7 almost entirely because of the offense. Gets promoted to head coach in 2016 for a program in turmoil and goes 4-8, 7-5, 8-4, 6-6 respectively in his four years as an SEC head coach. I think nationally there was some surprise that he didn't get another year. The AD who hired him was long gone at that point and so Mizzou made a change.

Arkansas fans can tell you better than I can about the last three years but I feel like he did a pretty good job in improving that defense from what was inherited in the Chad Morris era.

I have always felt like he will be a P5 head coach again at some point. After the 2015 season it was a near certainty that he was going to go back to Memphis as the HC to replace Fuente. Things falling apart so quickly at Mizzou gave him that opportunity but had he gone to Memphis, I feel like it would have been a much better situation to learn on the job as a head coach. Instead out of loyalty as an alum and a fact it was an SEC job, he started his HC career in a rough situation with lower end SEC resources and did an okay job.

He's not a dynamic public speaker and doesn't have a huge personality, but he's beloved by his players and high school coaches as well (was a HS head coach initially). He has a good defensive mind and has spent his entire coaching career recruiting in the footprint of where Tulsa wants/needs to recruit. Getting the right OC will be key because it was a big reason why he is no longer the Mizzou head coach.

I was on your campus for the Tulsa/Houston game in 2011 and I was pretty impressed. I could be wrong about Odom but I think if he gets the job he is more likely to succeed and leave for a P5 then be fired for lack of success.

Mizzou fan here. I'm a bit surprised by the negativity surrounding Barry Odom as the potential Tulsa coach. I get that he isn't the most inspiring name but from my perspective, I think he would do really well at Tulsa. If he ends up getting the job I can make a longer post with the positives/negatives, etc.

My quick bullet points about his career: Was hired by Justin Fuente as a DC at Memphis and was pretty successful by most accounts. Left to go back to his alma mater to be DC in 2015. Did a really good job and had Mizzou's defense top 10 nationally in several categories but the team ended up 5-7 almost entirely because of the offense. Gets promoted to head coach in 2016 for a program in turmoil and goes 4-8, 7-5, 8-4, 6-6 respectively in his four years as an SEC head coach. I think nationally there was some surprise that he didn't get another year. The AD who hired him was long gone at that point and so Mizzou made a change.

Arkansas fans can tell you better than I can about the last three years but I feel like he did a pretty good job in improving that defense from what was inherited in the Chad Morris era.

I have always felt like he will be a P5 head coach again at some point. After the 2015 season it was a near certainty that he was going to go back to Memphis as the HC to replace Fuente. Things falling apart so quickly at Mizzou gave him that opportunity but had he gone to Memphis, I feel like it would have been a much better situation to learn on the job as a head coach. Instead out of loyalty as an alum and a fact it was an SEC job, he started his HC career in a rough situation with lower end SEC resources and did an okay job.

He's not a dynamic public speaker and doesn't have a huge personality, but he's beloved by his players and high school coaches as well (was a HS head coach initially). He has a good defensive mind and has spent his entire coaching career recruiting in the footprint of where Tulsa wants/needs to recruit. Getting the right OC will be key because it was a big reason why he is no longer the Mizzou head coach.

I was on your campus for the Tulsa/Houston game in 2011 and I was pretty impressed. I could be wrong about Odom but I think if he gets the job he is more likely to succeed and leave for a P5 then be fired for lack of success.
Arkansas literally has one of the worst defenses statistically. Theres a reason Arkansas fans are more then happy to get rid of him

A dynamic public speaker and big personality is desirable right now to connect with the community. There will never be enough alumni to fill a stadium at a small school like TU. Gotta win. Gotta connect. Gotta help bring in the bucks.

A dynamic public speaker and big personality is desirable right now to connect with the community. There will never be enough alumni to fill a stadium at a small school like TU. Gotta win. Gotta connect. Gotta help bring in the bucks.

This alone is disqualifying based on our needs.
Sounds more like Haith's twinkie brother every day.

This!!! If he's hired, the decision becomes even more baffling.

Arkansas literally has one of the worst defenses statistically. Theres a reason Arkansas fans are more then happy to get rid of him

I am familiar with them, saw them in person just 8 days ago.

They've had a ton of injuries and some off the field drama, but the secondary was hit pretty hard. In terms of stats, obviously they play in the SEC West, but look at their non-conference opponents: Cincinnati, BYU, Liberty, and Missouri State with a fired up Bobby Petrino who spent the entire offseason scheming for that specific game.

He inherited a situation at Arkansas where they hadn't won an SEC game for the entirety of the Chad Morris era. Pittman, Kendal Briles, and Barry Odom overachieve in 2020, they are a 9 win, Outback Bowl champion team last year and this year they took a step back. No question about that. But on the whole, Arkansas is in a better spot than they have been for much of the last decade.

They've had a ton of injuries and some off the field drama, but the secondary was hit pretty hard. In terms of stats, obviously they play in the SEC West, but look at their non-conference opponents: Cincinnati, BYU, Liberty, and Missouri State with a fired up Bobby Petrino who spent the entire offseason scheming for that specific game.

He inherited a situation at Arkansas where they hadn't won an SEC game for the entirety of the Chad Morris era. Pittman, Kendal Briles, and Barry Odom overachieve in 2020, they are a 9 win, Outback Bowl champion team last year and this year they took a step back. No question about that. But on the whole, Arkansas is in a better spot than they have been for much of the last decade.
You aren't going to change any minds around here with media releases.

Fair enough. But pretty much every successful TU coach was a first time D1 head coach or stepping up from a lesser job.

Perhaps this would be a first time to break that trend.

Anyway I bet he won't get the job.

Fair enough. But pretty much every successful TU coach was a first time D1 head coach or stepping up from a lesser job.

Perhaps this would be a first time to break that trend.

Anyway I bet he won't get the job.
Hard for me to see why we would take him over Wells if we're dead set on rehabbing a retread.

Hard for me to see why we would take him over Wells if we're dead set on rehabbing a retread.
Yes and Rick has to know this too of course. If it does come to fruition there must be something in the mix that we are not seeing. Like an OC package deal.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
I made a fairly long post in the Alley after watching a 30 minute video of Odom from August. Everything Faurotfield has posted rings true from watching the video and reading up on Odom.

I do have a higher opinion of Odom than I did before, but I’m still not completely sold on him.

I made a fairly long post in the Alley after watching a 30 minute video of Odom from August. Everything Faurotfield has posted rings true from watching the video and reading up on Odom.

I do have a higher opinion of Odom than I did before, but I’m still not completely sold on him.
There's a difference between someone saying all the right things, and showing that they can do all the right things.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
Yes and Rick has to know this too of course. If it does come to fruition there must be something in the mix that we are not seeing. Like an OC package deal.
I'd think this would be a requirement both ways. If Odom gets this job and doesn't succeed, he'll never be a HC again. He shouldn't take it without commitment to give him the OC he needs. I'd shave a few bills off my salary to get a killer OC, call it an investment in yourself.

Odom is making $1.85 million at Arkansas…this would be a major financial commitment for TU to get him.

Reactions: 918Golden
Don’t want to alarm you guys…but the Arkansas insiders are all saying Odom is a done deal.
This is what was said when Arkansas announced that Tulsa’s Derrick Gragg would be named AD at Arkansas.

I'd think this would be a requirement both ways. If Odom gets this job and doesn't succeed, he'll never be a HC again. He shouldn't take it without commitment to give him the OC he needs. I'd shave a few bills off my salary to get a killer OC, call it an investment in yourself.
If he doesnt succeed we are that much closer to being a baseball/basketball school like ORU....

This hire has to succeed on the field and in the community...

We need a used car salesman/televangelist with football skills...

Reactions: Weatherdemon
I’d rather take Marion and his innovative Go-Go offense over any of these retreads. Why hire coaches who have already failed in college football? Let’s go hire someone who is actually changing college football
Precisely.

Should have been Kinne.

Marion would be the next best option.

Look no further than Deion and Colorado. Is Marion on Deion's level? No, but Tulsa and Colorado aren't on even standing either. Deion will, at the very least, bring a certain swagger back to Colorado. It will breathe life into what's been a dormant Colorado program. Recruits will pay attention. Big money people will kind of raise from the dead. It will be exciting. We'll see about the wins.

Marion could, possibly, do something similar here in Tulsa. Marion is a very personable and a very likeable guy. It would be new, it would be edgy. Create hashtags, slogans, sell the program. Young and eager up/comer goes back to his alma mater. He has a unique story. As you mentioned, with the Go-Go offense in hand. "Go-Golden Hurricanes". Eh, needs work. Innovation should be ideal.

Odom is a snooze-fest. We'll be here in a couple of years with another coaching candidate thread. JMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT