ADVERTISEMENT

TU Coaching Candidates

If he doesnt succeed we are that much closer to being a baseball/basketball school like ORU....

This hire has to succeed on the field and in the community...

We need a used car salesman/televangelist with football skills...
I agree we need someone who can energize our fanbase (like Brennan Marion), but when I think used car salesman, Keith Burns comes to mind!

I don’t think we would pay enough to get Odom he makes to much

Today has been a bad sports day for me. My HS lost in a championship game by a field goal after a game full of sloppy one sided calls, bball didn’t get it done, and the Red Wings even lost! So here is to the rebuilding beginning tomorrow with my University announcing a great hire.

What have you been hearing, that it doesn't smell so bad?
Well, since they are still interviewing candidates it is premature to say they have selected one.

That is, unless you’re the hapless Cayden McFarland, who likes to throw :crap: on the wall to see if it sticks.

...so Kevin Wilson?

Thoughts?
Definitely qualified. Only thing against him is his HC record at Indiana (although every HC has trouble at Indiana) and his age, 62 (perception).

University of Oklahoma Wilson's 2008 up-tempo and no-huddle Oklahoma Offense resulted in the Sooners scoring at least 60 points in every one of their last 5 conference games and a 65-21 victory over undefeated Texas Tech.[30]The Sooners' quarterback, Sam Bradford, finished the 2008 season with 4720 passing yards and 50 passing touchdowns.[31] It was after the 2008 season that Wilson received the Broyles Award as the top assistant coach of the year.[32] Wilson's offenses featured a then-NCAA record 716 points during the 2008 season which still ranks as No. 2 in FBS history. During Wilson's tenure at Oklahoma, the Sooners won six Big 12 Championships and played in 3 National Championships.[10]

Indiana University In Wilson's last 5 seasons as Head Coach for the Indiana Hoosiers, his offense led the Big Ten Conference in passing yards per game (226.7 yards), was second in total yards per game (459.3 yards), third in points per game (31.4 points), and fourth in rushing yards per game (192.7 yards).[33]

Ohio State University Since Wilson joined The Ohio State Buckeyes in 2017, they have averaged 523.8 yards per game (third in the nation), had more than 500 yards of total offense 27 times and over 600 yards nine times, scored 234 touchdowns (second in the nation), completed 138 touchdown passes (best in the nation), set six Big Ten Conference Offensive Records in the 2018 season (535.6 yards per game, 5,100 passing yards, 51 touchdown passes, 1131 total plays).[34] Wilson's offense produced back-to-back Heisman Trophy finalists (Dwayne Haskins and Justin Fields), the first 2,000-yard rusher in school history (J. K. Dobbins), and the fifth 1,000-yard receiver in school history (Parris Campbell).

Reactions: StoopsBros
Definitely qualified. Only thing against him is his HC record at Indiana (although every HC has trouble at Indiana) and his age, 62 (perception).

University of Oklahoma Wilson's 2008 up-tempo and no-huddle Oklahoma Offense resulted in the Sooners scoring at least 60 points in every one of their last 5 conference games and a 65-21 victory over undefeated Texas Tech.[30]The Sooners' quarterback, Sam Bradford, finished the 2008 season with 4720 passing yards and 50 passing touchdowns.[31] It was after the 2008 season that Wilson received the Broyles Award as the top assistant coach of the year.[32] Wilson's offenses featured a then-NCAA record 716 points during the 2008 season which still ranks as No. 2 in FBS history. During Wilson's tenure at Oklahoma, the Sooners won six Big 12 Championships and played in 3 National Championships.[10]

Indiana University In Wilson's last 5 seasons as Head Coach for the Indiana Hoosiers, his offense led the Big Ten Conference in passing yards per game (226.7 yards), was second in total yards per game (459.3 yards), third in points per game (31.4 points), and fourth in rushing yards per game (192.7 yards).[33]

Ohio State University Since Wilson joined The Ohio State Buckeyes in 2017, they have averaged 523.8 yards per game (third in the nation), had more than 500 yards of total offense 27 times and over 600 yards nine times, scored 234 touchdowns (second in the nation), completed 138 touchdown passes (best in the nation), set six Big Ten Conference Offensive Records in the 2018 season (535.6 yards per game, 5,100 passing yards, 51 touchdown passes, 1131 total plays).[34] Wilson's offense produced back-to-back Heisman Trophy finalists (Dwayne Haskins and Justin Fields), the first 2,000-yard rusher in school history (J. K. Dobbins), and the fifth 1,000-yard receiver in school history (Parris Campbell).

How about Michigan Defensive Coordinator 🤔

Vince Lombardi wouldn’t have a good record at Indiana. He’s done quite well in OC roles at top programs.
Vince Lombardi wouldn’t have a good record at Indiana. He’s done quite well in OC roles at top programs.
Lombardi might be a good comparison in one way. Wilson was known to be very demanding and tough on players. In fact he was forced out as head coach with 5 years left on his contract after several player complaints. The AD said his “resignation” wasn’t about his W/L record. He’s 61. I don’t see him changing dramatically. I also don’t see recruits flocking to play for him. We can do better.

Sometimes people leak out info they want so to be in a more favorable light.
“I turned down that job because this is the job I really want”
”I was offered but we couldn’t agree on terms”
”I have removed my name from consideration”
” It just wasn’t a good fit”

Sometimes people leak out info they want so to be in a more favorable light.
“I turned down that job because this is the job I really want”
”I was offered but we couldn’t agree on terms”
”I have removed my name from consideration”
” It just wasn’t a good fit”
“I really wanted to stay in Texas to coach.”

That seems like it would be something we would have known prior to going into an interview.
I'm would assume the search firm had developed a line of inquiry or uncovered something that could only be verified through a more intimate conversation,

That seems like it would be something we would have known prior to going into an interview.
100%. There's no way this is a difference in $$$. There are a lot of parts to an agreement beyond pay. Maybe he wanted 6 years and we wouldn't do more than 4. Maybe he wanted a higher buyout and we wanted lower. Maybe differences in what is "cause" for termination. Maybe he wanted more control over athletics staff and we wanted more oversight. IDK but I'd be beyond shocked if there was an issue in his salary.

He's not going to get a better HC job than TU. If we don't pay enough, then he's pretty much saying he'll be a career coordinator.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
Who was that douche we almost hired way back when? He was a DC somewhere in TX and I think he might have ended up at Fresno? Assclown bullet dodged! So Odom.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT