ADVERTISEMENT

TU at NIU Game Thread

No, I do not. Rice, SMU, and Tulane are better teams. Temple and UNT are toss ups and we never play well at ECU. Fortunately, we have most of the weakest teams in conference, but we are one of the weakest teams in the conference.
Temple is going to have a hard time getting ready for a Thursday game. Let’s start 1-0 then see what happens.

?
They are averaging 34 pts per game, he's averaging 322 yds per game, and he's 3-1. That's pretty damned impressive for Georgia St as of late. I'd say he's doing fine. Just because he was forced into 5 interceptions by a tough Wisconsin defense doesn't mean he isn't doing well. He had 385 yds against them and they only lost 35-14 with 5 turnovers. That's a pretty good stat line w/ 5 turnovers. What do you expect him to do with Georgia So as the team he's doing that with?
He (?) added a chunk of that today. He is playing on-par with his 2021 TU season, that's from the eye-test. I haven't caught any of their game today, minus the score tracker. Like all of the other guys that have left, what he does really has no bearing on me. I simply only want us to get better. IMO, Braxton looked better than Brin last season. I get that he looked sluggish (to say the least) during his short amount of time playing in the opener, but hopefully his confidence returns and feeds into his game.

Last edited:
He added a chunk of that today. He is playing on-par with his 2021 TU season, that's from the eye-test. I haven't caught any of their game today, minus the score tracker. Like all of the other guys that have left, what he does really has no bearing on me. I simply only want us to get better. IMO, Braxton looked better than Brin last season. I get that he looked sluggish (to say the least) during his short amount of time playing in the opener, but hopefully his confidence returns and feeds into his game.
?
He only had about 20 over his average. How is that getting a big chunk of that today. The biggest chunk of that was last week against Wisconsin.(60 over)

I saw somebody that was playing injured quite a bit, and wasn't allowed to heal up. Some days Brin looked better, some days Braxton looked good. I disagree with the fact that Braxton looked significantly better if that is what you are saying. I hope you are right, but right now it looks as if that might have been a mistake. The only thing I see about Braxton that I like better is that he runs. But overall Brin is looking equal to better.

I will always be confused as to why Monty played him injured.

Also, no, he didn't look anywhere near being an upgrade over Davis, or even Zach. He appeared on par, when combining their overall TU careers. He just looked better down the stretch into the off-season.

Last edited:
We will be Vegas favorites in every remaining home game. Whether or not that translates into wins, we’ll have to wait and see.

Reactions: TU 1978
We will be Vegas favorites in every remaining home game. Whether or not that translates into wins, we’ll have to wait and see.
You see us favored over Rice? I see that game as a push or Rice possibly being a slight favorite. Other than that, yep. Them or East Carolina will probably be our third toughest game on the remaining schedule.

You see us favored over Rice? I see that game as a push or Rice possibly being a slight favorite. Other than that, yep. Them or East Carolina will probably be our third toughest game on the remaining schedule.
Rice got whipped by USF today, giving up 600 yards in the process.

I'm with you, I'm a little surprised by the pessimism. In the 2 games not against top 20 teams, our D has given up a grand total of 3 TDs, and only 1 long TD drive. The other 2 were short field TDs after a turnover. Obviously conference teams will be better but if the offense can quit giving the ball up so much, I think the D will keep us competitive in most games. And reducing TOs will allow the offense to open up a little. We are tied for 121st in turnover margin out of 130. Clean that up and I think we'll be a lot better on both sides.

GA Southern btw is 128th on the "power" of 7 INTs.

He (?) added a chunk of that today. He is playing on-par with his 2021 TU season, that's from the eye-test. I haven't caught any of their game today, minus the score tracker. Like all of the other guys that have left, what he does really has no bearing on me. I simply only want us to get better. IMO, Braxton looked better than Brin last season. I get that he looked sluggish (to say the least) during his short amount of time playing in the opener, but hopefully his confidence returns and feeds into his game.
Brin was also hurt. Up until the injury in the Ole Miss game, Brin looked great. Up until that point, Brin was making it look like we were going to beat Ole Miss. Braxton came in that game and Monty shackled him. He didn't unshackle him until the Houston game.

I think Braxton was going to be fine but a tough play call led to the 1st INT as UAPB was sitting on the WR screen and that's not really a read or delivery issue since most of the time it's step and throw to a spot and pray the defense doesn't jump it. I'd need to go back and look at it but if Braxton needs to make a read on that play, it's definitely pre-snap and were the DBs in press coverage vs dropped. If they're dropped, you run the play as called, if they're in press, then you need to check out of it to anything else. And again, he got hurt and looked like he tried to continue playing which may have led to the next turnover. And it was likely a high ankle sprain which could take weeks to fully heal and unlike last year, we have a competent coaching staff that isn't going to throw him to the wolves while he is hurt.

Reactions: OKTornadoes
Brin was also hurt. Up until the injury in the Ole Miss game, Brin looked great. Up until that point, Brin was making it look like we were going to beat Ole Miss. Braxton came in that game and Monty shackled him. He didn't unshackle him until the Houston game.

I think Braxton was going to be fine but a tough play call led to the 1st INT as UAPB was sitting on the WR screen and that's not really a read or delivery issue since most of the time it's step and throw to a spot and pray the defense doesn't jump it. I'd need to go back and look at it but if Braxton needs to make a read on that play, it's definitely pre-snap and were the DBs in press coverage vs dropped. If they're dropped, you run the play as called, if they're in press, then you need to check out of it to anything else. And again, he got hurt and looked like he tried to continue playing which may have led to the next turnover. And it was likely a high ankle sprain which could take weeks to fully heal and unlike last year, we have a competent coaching staff that isn't going to throw him to the wolves while he is hurt.
100% factual assessment, you nailed it. I felt for Brin, but Monty was never the QB whisperer. He inherited a mature and more confident Dane, talked Smith into coming up to right the ship (kinda), and somehow managed to sit Brin when I would think we all agree he probably could've made a huge difference against OSU, Cincy, and Messypissy State if that Tulane come back was even 50% what he had been capable of. I know Chad and he is a great dude
... but.... Chad, Luke, and Seth were never the answer to replacing Dane IMHO.

100% factual assessment, you nailed it. I felt for Brin, but Monty was never the QB whisperer. He inherited a mature and more confident Dane, talked Smith into coming up to right the ship (kinda), and somehow managed to sit Brin when I would think we all agree he probably could've made a huge difference against OSU, Cincy, and Messypissy State if that Tulane come back was even 50% what he had been capable of. I know Chad and he is a great dude
... but.... Chad, Luke, and Seth were never the answer to replacing Dane IMHO.
Dane was not “mature” when Monty came. He learned a lot from losing under Blankenship and he put up some okay numbers his sophomore year, but he wasn’t the same guy day 1 when Monty was hired as he was by the time he graduated.

Sophomore Dane wasn’t leading any 30 point comebacks like he did at Fresno State.

Reactions: OKTornadoes
Temple is going to have a hard time getting ready for a Thursday game. Let’s start 1-0 then see what happens.
You were right on this one, Temple had trouble getting started and they were definitely slower than Tulsa for most of the game. The possibility of a 6+ win season were elevated by that win

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT