ADVERTISEMENT

True comments?

dmarsh1985

I.T.S. Senior
Oct 30, 2008
Interesting article from the stl post about transfers. I have to say that I agree with coach hi stones comments, but I realize others will not and so much of coaching is about relationships, which coach Hinson may or may not be good at. Would be interested to hear others reactions, especially goldandblews.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/transfer-culture-is-an-epidemic-for-area-teams/article_3a70d8fa-be4b-534b-93f7-0fc9e6152888.html

Mixed feelings. If a school is only willing to give kids one year ships renewable at the schools option I find it a little disingenuous for the school then to complain that kids are leaving at the end of the one year ship term. Give the kids guaranteed four year ships and my stance is different. Why should a school have the option to cut a kid loose every year but the player is forced to stay?

I didn't get that the article or Hinson's comments are anti-transferring.

It's just discussing the motivations of student-athletes.

"Let's backtrack and look at the transfer rate of kids at high schools, on AAU teams, in Little League baseball," he said. "If you don't like something, do something else. This is not a generation that likes to fight through it. One of my favorite quotes is that 'Parents are no longer comfortable making their children uncomfortable.' (Hinson)

"I think you have to be careful how you coach them just from the standpoint that sometimes sensitivity levels are a little greater than they were 20, 30 years ago, like when Coach (Norm) Stewart coached me," Anderson said.

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:
"Let's backtrack and look at the transfer rate of kids at high schools, on AAU teams, in Little League baseball," he said. "If you don't like something, do something else. This is not a generation that likes to fight through it. One of my favorite quotes is that 'Parents are no longer comfortable making their children uncomfortable.' (Hinson)
Says the guy who left ORU after 2 seasons for a pay raise at Missouri State.

Not to turn this into a Barry Hinson thread, but here I go anyway. I've probably said this 100 times before but Hinson is an absolute weirdo. If I'm 18 and have other options, I wouldn't play for the guy. He's a decent, maybe even above average, basketball mind and coach. Great speaker. But I'm telling you, even my mom would push him out the front door before he wanted to go. So I don't blame kids for wanting to transfer. What I blame them for is accepting his scholarship offer in the first place. They should've taken that offer from Quincy College and gone the Cody Stoneburner route. That kid (and his parents) was smart enough not to play for Dougie.

"I think you have to be careful how you coach them just from the standpoint that sometimes sensitivity levels are a little greater than they were 20, 30 years ago, like when Coach (Norm) Stewart coached me," Anderson said.
That is true about the millenials and even the generation behind them. You see kids all the time that hate hard work and hate being told they are not doing something right. They hate being coached. Even in U9 soccer, I get kids shutting down when you take them aside, show them a skill or a better way of positioning themselves (and no I don't yell...). When I was 10 and playing little league or pee wee football, I had coaches yelling at me and making me do duck walks around the entire field if we missed a ground ball and weren't using proper technique. I had my face mask grabbed and dragged to where I needed to be to seal an edge. If I ever did either of those things today I'd have parents screaming at me or I'd be arrested.

When we were kids if we made a decision and it was a bad decision we lived with that consequence. Millenials aren't being held to that level of accountability. This decision is not life or death for them...they will still get their education.

I agree with Lawpoke to some extent that the schools need to offer 4 year schollies to athletes, that way the only way a kid gets out and transfers is if it is truly a mutual decision on both parts. Clarkson and McLellan would have never been allowed to leave as easily as they did. (And I am one that firmly believes the student athlete's agreement is with the school and not with the coach. Transferring should not be as easy as it is).

Originally posted by ctt8410:

Does that not happen in your industry? Promotions and pay raises with other companies? It sure does in mine.

There is a significant difference between transferring because you do not want to work hard or compete and taking a better job for more money.

Does that not happen in your industry? Promotions and pay raises with other companies? It sure does in mine.
Oh yeah, happens all the time. Don't often hear them complain about their employees leaving for better opportunities, though.

Originally posted by PhoggyBottom:

There is a significant difference between transferring because you do not want to work hard or compete and taking a better job for more money.
There is also a significant difference between Hinson attributing the transfers to players not wanting to work hard or compete and players actually leaving because they want a better opportunity.

Originally posted by PhoggyBottom:

There is also a significant difference between Hinson attributing the transfers to players not wanting to work hard or compete and players actually leaving because they want a better opportunity.
Agreed, but I think he has a point.

Well, we live in a world of immediate gratification and most of the issues with players who think they deserve more than what they are getting falls squarely on the parents.

From high school to AAU sports, the D1 players have typically been the best on their team and didn't have to set the bench for long periods of times. They also were typically winners and most do not know how to handle losing.

In the case for SIU, they are losing 5 players for one reason or another. I coached Chaz Glotta and he is an undersized shooting guard but one who has very good range so his game was expected to translate to a role player at the D1 level. He received very few minutes this year and in fact should have red-shirted IMHO but he and his dad didn't want him to. Now he will sit out this year at Northern Colorado and play in 2016-17 as a RS Sophomore.

Deion Lavender is another player I am familiar with as I coached against him for 4 years. He is the real deal and received significant minutes this year and performed pretty well. The problem with him as well as the Monte Verde kid who started just about every game is they can't handle losing and are not willing to stick it out and build a program under Hinson. They want to make it to the NCAA BIG DANCE and they see no chance of that at SIU in the near future.

It is sad but true, education is getting lost in college athletics. I tell my players to focus on getting their education and enjoy the opportunity to play the game you love while doing it. We all want to be winners and play for championships but only a select few have a real shot of actually doing this. The players leaving SIU don't have that chance but family and friends are in the ear telling them they can do better. Parents and players need to be realistic and they need a refresher course on what commitment means. Until this happens, you are going to continue to have unhappy players and transfers; its sad nut true.

Originally posted by Li'l Eric Coley:
Not to turn this into a Barry Hinson thread, but here I go anyway. I've probably said this 100 times before but Hinson is an absolute weirdo. If I'm 18 and have other options, I wouldn't play for the guy. He's a decent, maybe even above average, basketball mind and coach. Great speaker. But I'm telling you, even my mom would push him out the front door before he wanted to go. So I don't blame kids for wanting to transfer. What I blame them for is accepting his scholarship offer in the first place. They should've taken that offer from Quincy College and gone the Cody Stoneburner route. That kid (and his parents) was smart enough not to play for Dougie.
Nothing wrong with Quincy University Li'l E; Quincy is where my son signed. He redshirted last year and is ready to contribute in 2015-16 on a team heavy with seniors.

BTW, Hinson is a "different" type of guy. He is BIG on family and God. He makes this known to his recruits, players and parents. His biggest problem over the past few years is his teams are heavy on guards and lacks big men much less quality big men. My son liked him but chose the D2 route as this is where he will see the most playing time and success given his size and skill set (6'-3" 170 lb. SG).

Oh I didn't say anything was wrong with Quincy at all. That's why I said Stoneburner was smart for choosing that route.

One could argue Quincy is the greatest medical examiner of all times !!!1

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT