ADVERTISEMENT

Totally Unexpected News ;)

Did I not call he was going to drop 20 in the 2nd half or not? 😂
You did. So seriously, he has been FotW like 9 times this season. Have not any
of his weeks been PotW worthy? Should he not receive serious consideration
for AAC POY?
In all probability...The trouble with a 14 team conference is that I can't really
keep up with what every one in the conference is doing, so I don't know who
the competition is...

I really admired the old Tulsa Tribune, and their featured sports writer (Jimmy
Menzies, from memory) When a game was scheduled, there was always an article
with line-ups printed the day of the game, and often a featured article about the
teams and significant players, and the TU sports Admin. would do a good job of
giving a lot of info about the visitors, and current info and human interest stories
about the TU players...

Due to this combination of factors, there definitely was a greater anticipation for
the games, and our group seemed to know most of the prominent players in the
MoValley...

Hopefully, TU will become relevant enough again to draw that kind of attention.
Even if they do, however, the local media coverage will only be a fraction of what
we enjoyed in the past..

Why? To put it simply, a lot of things have changed...:frown:

Last edited:
They said on the last broadcast that he was the second leading scorer in the conference and second leading freshman scorer in the country. He should at least be in the POY conversation. POY usually comes from the league’s top team though.

They said on the last broadcast that he was the second leading scorer in the conference and second leading freshman scorer in the country. He should at least be in the POY conversation. POY usually comes from the league’s top team though.
I believe he is leading scorer in AAC for conference play but when you add OOC he is #2

I believe he is leading scorer in AAC for conference play but when you add OOC he is #2
All this with the ref's calling a tighter game in conference as far as how many times he gets fouled. At least two thirds of those tighter calls are unfair to him. I'd really put that percentage of unfair non calls at 75%.

You did. So seriously, he has been FotW like 9 times this season. Have not any of his weeks been PotW worthy? Should he not receive serious consideration for AAC POY?
Those come from winning teams where the POY makes every shot down the stretch. Maybe next year for that honor for PJ.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
Those come from winning teams where the POY makes every shot down the stretch. Maybe next year for that honor for PJ.
I've always hated how MVP, POY and the like have to come from winning teams in sports. The best player in any sport isnt always on the best teams. You see this so often though.

Same with GOAT talks - Its always how many rings did they have?? So someone could be the best player this world has ever seen but because he played for a :crap:ty team...he can never be considered the GOAT.

And he seems to get weak in free throw % a lot at the end of the game, recently. Not a disqualifier, but not good.

Reactions: dougheffking
Hasn't his free throw % risen in last 5 games though? He was mid 70% now he is lower 80% I believe....I have not checked my stats here lol
Talking about it in conjunction with I.I.'s comment about not making shots down the stretch at EOG.

Last edited:
Jones and Davis are the odds-on favorites. And PJ has matched them nearly stride-for-stride so far.

David Jones 22.9 PPG, 8.0 RPG, 1.7 APG, 1.7 SPG, 57%/35%/82%
Johnell Davis 22.4 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 3.4 APG, 1.5 SPG, 52%/56%/91%

Haggerty 23.0 PPG, 5.6 RPG, 4.0 APG, 1.6 SPG, 56%/35%/76%

Jones might win the turnover trophy for the most.

Ryan Reynolds Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

PJ probably will not get Conference Player of the Year, but he is making a strong case for 1st Team All-Conference and Freshman Player of the Year...
I would bet on second team all-conference at this point but he may improve more in the remaining games. They like upperclassmen for that top rung.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I would bet on second team all-conference at this point but he may improve more in the remaining games. They like upperclassmen for that top rung.
What would it say about the AAC if the conference's 2nd leading scorer weren't 1st team all conference. Not too mention he's top 15 in assists, top 15 in FT %, and 3rd in steals, top 15 assists/turnover ratio. He is basically one of the most efficient offensive players in the league.

Surprisingly, Garcia is top 10-15 in most defensive categories including blocks and defensive rebounds.

Surprisingly, Garcia is top 10-15 in most defensive categories including blocks and defensive rebounds.
All those stats you mention, are the signs that point to him being a rim protector on defense, and usually point to him being good with his back to the basket on offense. But that doesn't translate to his abilities on offense and his scoring totals. And I don't exactly view him as a rim protector either, but he seems to be doing the job on his blocks at 1.4 per game. If you told me he was going to have all those stats this late in the season, I would have been very happy that he was going to be a solid asset. I'm just at a loss as to how he can have all those stats and not feel like he is good with his back to the basket and/or appear to be a rim protector.

Reactions: dougheffking
All those stats you mention, are the signs that point to him being a rim protector on defense, and usually point to him being good with his back to the basket on offense. But that doesn't translate to his abilities on offense and his scoring totals. And I don't exactly view him as a rim protector either, but he seems to be doing the job on his blocks at 1.4 per game. If you told me he was going to have all those stats this late in the season, I would have been very happy that he was going to be a solid asset. I'm just at a loss as to how he can have all those stats and not feel like he is good with his back to the basket and/or appear to be a rim protector.
He is better with his back to the basket than he gets to show and it's a byproduct of the offense we run. And maybe he needs to be a better passer out of the post than he's shown so far. Reed is far better. Garcia doesn't post up much and I think it's because he's not asked to, rather setting screens for the guards up too and instead of rolling to the basket like most big men after setting the screen, our bigs pop out behind the 3pt line. And Reed is better than Garcia offensively, IMO. He can score at all 3 levels. Reed is not nearly the defender Garcia is at this point.

Reactions: t-townpod
There may be a time we need both in the game but most opponents are going with 4 small guys and in a man defense our two bigs may struggle covering. Could play them both in a zone maybe.

Garcia doesn't post up much and I think it's because he's not asked to, rather setting
screens for the guards up too and instead of rolling to the basket like most big men

after setting the screen, our bigs pop out behind the 3pt line. And Reed is better than
Garcia offensively, IMO. He can score at all 3 levels. Reed is not nearly the defender
Garcia is at this point.
Both Reed and Garcia are two of our better 3 pt. shooters, thus the pop-out for
that shot...Garcia has gotten better around the goal, and seems to still be improving
in that regard--Reed not so much..He mishandles too many passes....He will get
better when he gets stronger....Right now, he is a defensive liability other than Def.
rebounds...

Surprisingly, Garcia is top 10-15 in most defensive categories including blocks
and defensive rebounds.
Maybe, but not nearly as surprising as it would have been say four games
ago...

He has been undergoing the second semester improvement that many JUCOs
go through....He seems to have gotten better in most of the categories you
mentioned....during the last two games, he has pulled down some "big boy"
boards we haven't seen in a while...He seems more relaxed, but is playing
physically stronger...Good combination! If you remember, he was one of the
few players that showed well against SMU, and he has played well since...

We still have two scholarships open without any portal losses...It would be
great if we could find another functional 'big' to solidify our front line..Barring
other portal losses, we can put a very representative team on the floor in
'24-'25.....

Last edited:
Reactions: TU 1978
Haggerty is now only 56 points away from becoming the leading Freshman scorer of All Time at the University of Tulsa. He is already second behind Shea Seals and past the following Freshmen:
Woodard
Harris
Clarkson
Andrews
Uzoh
Harrington
McDade
McClellan
McDowell

Hopefully there is a public recognition in front of our home fans. He deserves it. A couple of those players have retired uniforms in the rafters.

Haggerty is now only 56 points away from becoming the leading Freshman scorer of All Time at the University of Tulsa. He is already second behind Shea Seals and past the following Freshmen:
Woodard
Harris
Clarkson
Andrews
Uzoh
Harrington
McDade
McClellan
McDowell

Hopefully there is a public recognition in front of our home fans. He deserves it. A couple of those players have retired uniforms in the rafters.
So he'll probably break it at home against rice fan.

Looked to me like Haggerty and Davis were having a contest in Boca Raton?

Haggerty faired very well IMHO.

GO TU!!!!

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT