ADVERTISEMENT

To avoid a meltdown....

TULOYAL

I.T.S. Sophomore
Aug 13, 2010
I am posting some positives about our team. It starts with players that I do like to watch.

-Keaun Hill: Love watching him. He is a stud. He plays with emotion and is our best cover corner IMO.
-Bennett is one heck of a punter and maybe the best I've seen at Tulsa. He is a difference maker in field position and would be even more effective with better coverage help.
-Our defensive tackles were a big question entering the season and I think have answered that question.
-The entire defense, with the exception of one, has me pleasantly surprised and gives us a chance to win every -week.
-Javon Thomas looked really good and I'm scratching my head as to why we don't see him more. Especially in the 4th quarter last night.
-McKinley Whitfield is pretty special in coverage and tackling. He will hit you.
-Wright needs to hold a tackling clinic for the team. He can tackle low and wrap up.
- The band was pretty good.

Reactions: bigstar18
If we’re just talking about this week, then we didn’t have any turnovers. We had an amazing run of games with turnovers for scores (counting last weeks 2 turnovers inside the 10). We were closer in this game because we held on to the ball and didn’t give them those easy points.

Reactions: drboobay
Zaven Collins has been a stud defense. The band looks bigger this year.......they are an important part of the game day experience.

I was really impressed with the DBs. They were right next to the wrs all game with some terrific breakups. There were 2 guys, I believe both safetys, that looked lost. But he kept going at Avery and Avery kept shutting his guy down. It was a great sight to see!Collins and Gipson are beasts. I'd like to see more Javon as well, especially short yardage downs. He ran real well

Forget the perfectly thrown pass dropped in the south zone to beat USF, does anyone doubt that if Bowling hadn't gone out hurt early in the 4th, we would have pounded out at least 1 or 2 or more 1st downs to ice this game anyway? That is, we lost a guy with 40 starts & a probable draft pick from the O-Line. Seems just bad luck to me. Yeah, yeah, I know- we should have thrown it more late. By a RS Frosh making his 2nd start against a ranked team who had gone 6 of 21 for 79 yds. Still, I can't criticize Boomer who got us in position or Monty, after Anderson's drop, to try to milk clock to win the game, even without his all-conf left guard.

Last edited:
Zaven Collins has been a stud defense. The band looks bigger this year.......they are an important part of the game day experience.
The band sucks. They need to play some new music and care about what they’re doing. Feel like I’m listening to funeral music whenever they play

The band sucks. They need to play some new music and care about what they’re doing. Feel like I’m listening to funeral music whenever they play
This is the positive thread! Take your Debbie downerism somewhere else! Let us have just one nice thing!

Blue hairs hear so much funeral music at this stage in life it has become their favorite genre and the band is attempting to connect with this important constituency.

I’m not sure I’d say they “suck”... they could improve in a few areas but I’m sure Anderson is doing the best he can. I know how much work it takes for those kids to do what they do, but with a smaller band, you have to do things a little different. Our drumline is only slightly small, but acceptable. We need 50% more brass, especially on the low end.

I personally thought the music hasn’t been bad this year: Africa by Toto was pretty awesome.

But if you’re really upset about the music, I’m sure Anderson would gladly receive your feedback via email. He’s a nice guy from the few times I’ve met him.

That’s kind of harsh. Some of us have kids in the band. Don’t take your frustrations out on them.
It's more a beef with the band director. And the on field stuff is OK although the tempo needs to pick up some.

My biggest beef is the "pep" music played between downs, big plays, time outs, etc. It's the same stuff he's been playing for 5-6 years. Nothing new.

And I used to march. I marched in HS with a band comparable to Union/BA. I marched with a DCI World Class corps. Trust me...I know what it takes in terms of practice and hard work and conditioning to put something of quality on the field.

And I used to march. I marched in HS with a band comparable to Union/BA. I marched with a DCI World Class corps. Trust me...I know what it takes in terms of practice and hard work and conditioning to put something of quality on the field.

Bless your heart.

Reactions: sonofbird
It's more a beef with the band director. And the on field stuff is OK although the tempo needs to pick up some.

My biggest beef is the "pep" music played between downs, big plays, time outs, etc. It's the same stuff he's been playing for 5-6 years. Nothing new.

Have you thought about volunteering your time to help out the band? I’m sure they’d welcome any help they can get as they are pretty under-funded.

Lol it's been the same music for way longer than 5-6 years.

I'm not sure but do we pay for the songs? It may be we have been short changing the band and it's showing up in their music selection.

I was by the student section and the band. Kids were into the game. They played at the right times. I watched them keep track of the USF huddle and played the whole time the coach was trying to talk to players 15-20 yards from the band.

They also sounded disappointed with the loss and expressed a lot of the feelings that have showed up on here including sympathy for their fellow classmates the football players.

Students deserve a solid high five as well. A good group of then are showing up and keeping faith.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT