ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Wakefield

chito_and_leon

I.T.S. Head Coach
Dec 5, 2003
Not sure anyone other than BLA and I will notice this, but this hits hard. Not only was he a key piece in vanquishing the evil empire, but he was the epitome of overcoming adversity and finding a way to be successful when everyone says you can't and you don't have the physical attributes. Has anyone ever made more with less? And by all accounts, he was an A+ human being.

Yeah, I saw this the other day and I audibly gasped. Even the last couple years I thought the Sox could coax him out of retirement and throw some innings. I remember thinking after his time in Pittsburgh was done that he was done in MLB simply because knuckleballers either have it and no one can touch you (Kniekros) or you don't and your essentially a BP pitcher. By all accounts, Wakefield was the best of teammates and was also very active in the community. I think the fact that so many of the Red Sox players from the early to mid 2000s that helped break the curse of the Bambino have stayed in Boston and active with the Red Sox and the community 20 years later is a testament to the connection they had with each other and with the community.

RIP Tim Wakefield. Your legend in Boston will never die!

And RIP Russ Francis who was a long time Patriot before he went to the 49ers and caught passes from Joe Montana. I remember him playing for the hapless Pats in the late 70s/early 80s catching passes from Steve Grogan.

Man, too many Boston/New England legends dying these days

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT