ADVERTISEMENT

The Stupid Award--Special Edition

TUMe

I.T.S. Legend
Dec 3, 2003
You can quit reading this anytime you get tired.

1. I look around the room. How many things are made of plastic? You know polyethylene, polypropylene, PVC. Unless you have an older house your pipes are probably PVC. Where does plastic come from.

2. I'm going to press a button and an electric motor will lift my garage door. I'm getting older but I could lift it over my head. Back the car out and drive it to the gym where I use machines to lift weights over my head so I can still lift the garage door if they power goes out. I walk the A/C track then drive home.

3. I carry a computer in my pocket that is plastic, made in South Korea, and has way more memory than I do. It has batteries...bad for land fills. But my niece might send me pictures of her kids at the soccer tournament they drove to in Dallas, KC, Denver or wherever. At that age we climbed the fence at the softball park and played pick up ball. We rode bikes.

4. Even the best brands of cars will have more plastic next year. There is no such thing as a bumper. Two cars bump and it's big money. But the plastic will help me get better mileage when I drive to the gym to walk or to Omaha for a volleyball tournament.

5. Most people either put chemicals on their grass or pay the man in the big truck. Then they mow it more often with a gasoline or electric mower or pay the man with the truck that pulls the trailer with a cage full of mower, gas, weed eater, and edger. One could take the old fashioned edger and skip the gym that day. God help us all if a blade of grass touches the drive or sidewalk.

6. I don't like fish so over-fishing gives me an excuse not to eat the fish the doctor wants me to, but my lipids are good anyway, because I drive to the gym and walk in air conditioning. I don't have a boat to pull to the lake.

7. I couldn't understand the Reuters article this morning that California was closing gas fired power plants because gas is too cheap now. It's hurting alternate energy. I have to work on that one. Doesn't that hurt poor people and make less incentative to buy electric cars?

8. I used to drink American beer, but German beer is so much better. It wasn't around in the old days. Like most things it comes on big ship that burn Bunker C fuel. Nastiest fuel around but loaded with BTUs.

I get the Stupid Award because a lot of this is over my head.

Maybe I'm slow too because I don't understand the headline either. What else would increases in solar energy replace? Natural gas is the first thing I'd think of. Why is it an unlikely casualty?

Maybe I'm slow too because I don't understand the headline either. What else would increases in solar energy replace? Natural gas is the first thing I'd think of. Why is it an unlikely casualty?

Well, it could replace coal. We have coal fired plants here in Oklahoma.

But what is really stupid is not using natural gas because it is cheap. It would be okay if it was more expensive and didn't beat alternates in the market place.

From the article: "But power prices in California fell to their lowest level since at least 2001 last year, and in 2016 so far are trading even lower. The low price of natural gas, thanks to the fracking boom, is largely responsible."

Everyone talks about helping the middle class and poor. Many poor and middle class spend a good portion of their money on utility bills. Most don't consider lower electric bills a bad thing. Rich people get their electric shut off if they are on vacation when the bill is due, if at all.

It is admitting that alternate fuels are not competitive with natural gas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT